Maxnet Ip Addresses

KhunDave

Apologies for the lack of technical know-how....

I've been finding that IP addresses which start with 112 and 117 often have significantly better speeds to/from the outside world, as opposed to 114 and 222.

My question - is there any way to pre-select these IP addresses, or is it completely random which one you are assigned on connection?

Apologies for the lack of technical know-how....

I've been finding that IP addresses which start with 112 and 117 often have significantly better speeds to/from the outside world, as opposed to 114 and 222.

My question - is there any way to pre-select these IP addresses, or is it completely random which one you are assigned on connection?

Completely random.

You get assigned an IP-address from a pool of addresses the ISP owns.

Normally speeds should not differ, but network/bandwidth management is not really one of the strongest points of Thai ISP's!

You could try to reboot your router a few times until you get an IP adress assigned you like...

I also am a non techie.

I have the standard Maxnet Premier 2Mb/1Mb service.

Could someone in the know advise me about the advantage or otherwise of a fixed ISP versus a dynamic ISP.

I noticed that on the web for TTT/3BB on the premier service there are fixed ISP either 1 or 4 on offer for an increase in the monthly charge.

What does the fixed ISP give in terms of speed and reliability over the dynamic or again is it a question of luck if you get any improvement.

Would a fixed ISP be better at 2Mb/1MB than a dynamic at 3Mb/1Mb.

Thanks in advance for any information

I also am a non techie.

I have the standard Maxnet Premier 2Mb/1Mb service.

Could someone in the know advise me about the advantage or otherwise of a fixed ISP versus a dynamic ISP.

I noticed that on the web for TTT/3BB on the premier service there are fixed ISP either 1 or 4 on offer for an increase in the monthly charge.

What does the fixed ISP give in terms of speed and reliability over the dynamic or again is it a question of luck if you get any improvement.

Would a fixed ISP be better at 2Mb/1MB than a dynamic at 3Mb/1Mb.

Thanks in advance for any information

Fixed IP address does not give you any speed increase or stability.

Fixed IP adresses are usually used by people/corporations who need to have their local computer/network accessible over the internet. So that when people punch in their IP address always end up in the proper place.

I you have a dynamic (i.e. always changing) IP address you would have to update the people with your current IP address.

For home use one application might be a camera security system, with remote monitoring capability...

Their are work arounds the dynamic IP address, but not always convenient. Dyndns etc...

• 2 weeks later...

If my speeds are sluggish, I sometimes power cycle my router (which will give me a new IP address) and that seems to fix it. I'll have to test this 112/117 vs 114/222 theory. My IP usually starts with 58 it seems.

Edited by Scubabuddha