Happy Buddha Day

MRnell

Today is Buddha day in thailand , is anyone going or has been to Nong Khai province , for the festivals along the Mekong River Bank and to see the Naga Fireball Phenomenon !

So what about this mystery beneath the murky mekong ??

Is it a mythical serpent god ,

or is it just plan science a whole lot of swamp gas ??

Asking the big question to my gf she replied with a laught saying some people believe its act of nature other think its created by man ..

Regards

AN

The celebrations are quite big there. I can remember a couple of years ago, my wife and I were trying to get from Udon to BKK and could not get a ticket anywhere air/bus. People were going back from this and it was crazy. I have never been, but would like to hear from someone on their experience. Would anyone care to share? Thanks.

I went last year, not to Nong Khai but in Ubon Ratchathani province, just north of Kong Chiam. We sat on the river bank for about 2 hours, and during that time I saw 3 fireballs; there were 4, but I missed the first one.

The balls were small (difficult to estimate size, but let's say grapefruit), white and rose from mid-stream. They were completely silent. I did not see them actually emerge from the water (you would have to be staring right at the spot to see that), but they ascend more or less vertically for several metres and then disappear.

I can definetly eliminate divers or other tricks. The Mekong was running very fast, they emerged from different locations, and there were long intervals between.

I suspect Kon Khaen's university theory is correct - i.e. bubbles of gas from fermenting weed on the river bed being released at full moon (same gravitational effect that causes tides) and spontaneously igniting on contact with air. There is still much un-explained, though.

However, I am in a minority, and my simple-mindedness is looked on with kindly pity by the locals. They all know the cause. It is the Naga, the Phaya Nak, spitting out his fireballs as an annual act of gratitude in rememberance of the Buddha's visit to his watery home.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike, for your description of the events. I am sorry, however, that your foolish "scientific" explanation for these events are rediculous. :D One day you will understand that no matter what proof you have or present, the locals have their explanation and that is it. They don't want to hear some crazy idea that gasses form and are released into the air. That is crazy thinking. LOL My wife and I can never seem to be home (Udon) at this time of year. Maybe next year, right. LOL

Oh, and Dave...great video! Go back to bed. :)

Thanks Mike, for your description of the events. I am sorry, however, that your foolish "scientific" explanation for these events are rediculous. :D One day you will understand that no matter what proof you have or present, the locals have their explanation and that is it. They don't want to hear some crazy idea that gasses form and are released into the air. That is crazy thinking. LOL My wife and I can never seem to be home (Udon) at this time of year. Maybe next year, right. LOL

Oh, and Dave...great video! Go back to bed. :)

You are right. When I explained my theory, my wife pointed out that it can't be gas bubbles forming: the reason, the scientist divers did not see any gas bubbles when they examined the river bed. I hadn't the heart to ask how many Naga they had seen.

I'm back from Nong Khai. Picked up the tail end of the festivities - very enjoyable. Can highly recommend Nong Khai Resort - out near the train station.

Heard many reports of fireballs being seen some 30kms+ east of Nong Khai, but none locally.

I believe there is some connection between fireballs and Sang Som!

No, sometimes you can see the balls but it's just gas. When you are in NK and visit the Wat Phochai you see paintings about what's happening here in october. The people believe it's a dragon and the balls come from the mouth and the tail. May be he has been eating to many beans.... The Thai liquor has nothing to do with it so they drink this not only in october.

A few years ago, a Thai TV station made a deal with Lao soldiers to shoot in the air during Naga. It caused a huge demonstration in the streets of Nongkhai......

I went in 2002 with some Thai friends from Roi-Et Province. We drove out with my two sisters (who were visiting me), my friends, and several of their family members. It was great fun. What I saw was similar to what Phibun Mike describes, except that the fireballs were more orange in color than white, and we saw many more of them.

We watched from the bank of the Mekong River in Phon Phisai, Nong Khai Province. We must have seen hundreds of the fireballs over the course of an hour or so, before it became very windy and started raining. At that point we all went inside (we were staying at a guest house near the river bank). You would see a fireball every few seconds, and they seemed to emerge from different places up and down the river, for as far as we could see in either direction.

Later that night lightning must have struck a transformer for our block and the lights went out for a few hours, so we lit candles. There were so many of us in the guest house that most of us were just lying on blankets on the floor. Everyone was curious about what each other thought about the whole phenomenon, including us foreigners, and we talked about it late into the night, with our limited amount of shared language (several of the Thai people there could speak some English, and I could speak some Thai). There was a real sense of comradery and unity, despite our different origins (many of the others in that guest house were from different provinces). The night stands out as one of my most memorable experiences in Thailand.

So many people came to watch that year that the streets were clogged with cars and tour buses. This was soon after the Mekong Full Moon Party movie had come out, so apparently the word had gotten out, and the turnout was much bigger than it had been in past years. By the way, that movie was pretty good, and touched on the controversy between attempted scientific explanations, in contrast to (and in conflict with) the local folklore. I recommend it for anyone interested in this subject.

Oevna, what you described sounded really cool. Yes, it would be good to see it, but then to share and comment on it in a room with friends and strangers would be very memorable. Congratulations that you were able to have that moment. I asked my Mother-in-law a couple of nights ago if she or Pa had seen this and she said that they haven't. They are in their mid 70's now, so I will be planning hard to make it happen.

Oevna, what you described sounded really cool. Yes, it would be good to see it, but then to share and comment on it in a room with friends and strangers would be very memorable. Congratulations that you were able to have that moment. I asked my Mother-in-law a couple of nights ago if she or Pa had seen this and she said that they haven't. They are in their mid 70's now, so I will be planning hard to make it happen.

Thank you. I think it's a wonderful idea to bring your in-laws to see it. Are they from Nong Khai Province?

The only suggestion I have would be to reserve your accommodations as early as possible to make sure that you can find a place that will be comfortable for them.

Have a great trip.