New Car.... In My Name?

harrymand

Hi. Just order a new car, and want it my name. But now I am not sure about this. Some of my friends say that I will pay more if something happens. The garage will charge me more. the insurance company will not pay out so easy if I had an accident etc. I am married and don't need to reg. the car in my name because I am "afraid" of loosing it, it's just a "man" thing.

What is your opinion ?

Hi. Just order a new car, and want it my name. But now I am not sure about this. Some of my friends say that I will pay more if something happens. The garage will charge me more. the insurance company will not pay out so easy if I had an accident etc. I am married and don't need to reg. the car in my name because I am "afraid" of loosing it, it's just a "man" thing.

What is your opinion ?

Of course you get it in your name. I have not experienced one disadvantage of having vehicles in my own name past 6 years. Besides when they call you from the dealer/insurancecompany or whatever, they speak english if its in farang name.

If its in your wifes name and she goes missing or leaves you, you must expect to lose the car or have major trouble transfering it to you.

• 1 month later...

I am looking to buy a new pickup over the next few months and I was wondering how exactly you go about putting a pick up in your name? are there any visa/residency requirments? My missus doesn't drive so I would prefer it to be in my name.

Any insurance companies out there worth a recommendation? is car insurance for farangs subject to the usual farang tax!!! :)

Anyone got any ideas?

I presume it's just a case of putting my name down on the registration forms but I wasn't sure whether I would need to produce ID or proof of visas.

Would love to hear from anyone who's bought a new car and got the car registered in thier name.

I have had vehicles in my name since 1993 and have never had a problem with insurance or any other kind of problem. I probably pay a higher bribe when I am driving alone than the Thai drivers. When my Thai wife is with me, I probably pay less than Thai drivers.

In Pattaya a letter of residence from Immigration is all that is required plus copies of passport.

That's it mate!

had 3 cars and 2 motorbikes on my name, no problems.

Still got 2 cars and a motorbike, still not having any problems.

In all changwat: letter of residence from your embassy with certified translation OR letter of residence from immigration.

Buriram and Korat accepted the letter from embassy at all times.