Tai Chi In Chiang Mai

chiangrai

hi

i'm thinking of coming to chiang mai to learn tai chi.

i just want to learn a simple routine that i can practice at home first,with a view to learning martial applications later

i've found 3 places on the internet and was wondering if anybody could recomend any of them

1-julie hastings who i could get private lessons from and learn a routine in a week or so

2-mr liang which sounds good but i would have to stay in chiang mai for a month,

3-there's an 8 day course near the bus station which is expensive,

i'm thinking of going with mister liang as he does martial application in other courses that i could take later,

any advice about him or others in chiang mai or elsewhere would be much apreciated,

thanks

that's what i thought,it looked good from the website,

only thing is though it 's expensive,

there's a guy called mr liang that's much cheaper,the website(chiangmaitaichichuan.com)

is not half as organisad as taichithailand.com so maybe his teaching is the same,

anybody ever heard anything about him,

he's much cheaper and also does xing yi kung <deleted> which is good because i want to study the martial arts side of it later,

but it's no good if he's no good,

there's also a lady called julie hastings who's private lessons i might be interested in.

all recomendations welcome for anywhere in thailand

thanks

I was very interested in studying with Mr. Liang last year. Basically I couldn't get a hold of him. After 1 short phone conversation he subsequently never answered my calls or emails, and I couldn't find him at the park where he said he teaches. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. If you manage to find him and train with him, I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

thanks for all the feedback,

it looks like it's down to the 10,000bht course which i'm not sure i want everything that it provides or going to julie hastings for some private lessons.

i should be able to learn a short sequence in 6 hours,saving me 7,000.

anybody know anything about tai chi,

does this sound right

just six hours of instruction? That is pretty short time. Is this your first form? Previous martial arts training?

I am too slow to pick up a 24 form in 6 hours. I suppose if you break it up into 1 hour sessions and practice like crazy in between. Make sure to video tape yourself and the instructor or someone who does it very well.

The real value of instruction is having someone correct you and burn it into your muscle memory. If you have a good video example to view for then you can critque yourself by doing a current video and comparing it to the perfect example. Not a bad idea to take multiple angles of the ideal example.

It's kind of like golf. Easy to play but frustrating to get really good.

My partner and I have been learning tai chi and martial applications with Rod at Body & Mind Healing studio for a few years now - we can definately recommend him. His website is - bodyandmindhealing.org

rod doesn't advertise any prices on his site. got any info?

o.k min,

this seems to be exactly what i'm looking for,

tai chi with martial aplications and the prospect of futher study,

his sisgt is a bit vague though,

5-10 day open course,

i just want to learn a few moves and come back to chiang mai and practice and maybe come back for more,

what do you recomend as a start,

ollylama-some prices are shown on the class times page,

o.k min,

this seems to be exactly what i'm looking for,

tai chi with martial aplications and the prospect of futher study,

his sisgt is a bit vague though,

5-10 day open course,

i just want to learn a few moves and come back to chiang mai and practice and maybe come back for more,

what do you recomend as a start,

ollylama-some prices are shown on the class times page,

I have studied Xing Yi on and off for around 5 years, the year before last I studied for around six months one to one with Master Liang and found him a very good teacher. Not the best I've studied with but still very good. I have his number somewhere pm me if your interested . There is no point in learning tai chi unless you it is done with martial intent otherwise your just as well off waving your hands in the air in slow motion by yourself and save some money :)

There is no point in learning tai chi unless you it is done with martial intent otherwise your just as well off waving your hands in the air in slow motion by yourself and save some money :)

Ah, but those with true martial spirit care not for the verbal jabs of others, and follow their own chosen path towards self-perfection, what ever that means to them. No? :D

thank you annonymouse,

can i ask what it cost to study privatly with master liang.

i want to learn something shore first like yang 13 and go away and practice ,

how many lessons do you think i would need for this,

thanks again

I was Master Liang's first western student when he came to CM a couple of years ago from Khon Khaen, I got a very cheap price but he maybe more savy to westerners now and upped his fees :)

I can't really answer your other question as I have never studied Tai Chi, it also depends on the ability of the individual student. I'm no natural but prefer to work on the basics of a martial art for a long time rather than learning something and not taking it in.

There is no point in learning tai chi unless you it is done with martial intent otherwise your just as well off waving your hands in the air in slow motion by yourself and save some money :)

Ah, but those with true martial spirit care not for the verbal jabs of others, and follow their own chosen path towards self-perfection, what ever that means to them. No? :D

It wasn't mean't to be a verbal jab at anyone but from what little I know there is a lot of very bad Tai Chi out there, I agree everyone has there own path but they can also be led astray by so called teachers who don't really know what they are doing and I'm talking in general here as I have no idea of the quality of Tai Chi in Chiang Mai except Master Liang's.

so now,

master liang's website has dissapeared,

thachithailand has removed it's optional accomodation for 2000

so 10,000 plus find my own accomodation

mind and body healing would be 4800 for 10 days,

they both work out at 250 per hour.

we will see,thanks for the advive