Advice Sought For Trip To Phitsanulok, Phrae,...

joe beets

Hi all. I’m planning a road trip to the north next month, specifically up from Bangkok to Phitsanulok, Phrae, and Nan, with a return loop through Lamphang, Si Satchanalai, and Sukhothai. Are any of you fine people living in or familiar with this area? How’s the drought situation there? Anything en route I shouldn't miss?

The elephant ordination, or Buat Chang Hat Siao, is said to be April 7-8 in Si Satch; anyone been there/done that? Seems like an irresistible photo op. Oh yeah, I’m X-posting over at ajarn, so no need to answer twice, TIA. Enjoy your holidays, folks –

jb

The drought has been real bad, no rain for 4+ mos. in Phits area. But just this week have had some good rain. Heard CM and area also raining. What do you want to know about in Phits? Not alot here,2 days should do it. Nice easy drive up to Phrae.

Hi all. I’m planning a road trip to the north next month, specifically up from Bangkok to Phitsanulok, Phrae, and Nan, with a return loop through Lamphang, Si Satchanalai, and Sukhothai. Are any of you fine people living in or familiar with this area? How’s the drought situation there? Anything en route I shouldn't miss?

The elephant ordination, or Buat Chang Hat Siao, is said to be April 7-8 in Si Satch; anyone been there/done that? Seems like an irresistible photo op. Oh yeah, I’m X-posting over at ajarn, so no need to answer twice, TIA. Enjoy your holidays, folks –

jb

On the way between Pits and Phrae you might want to go up the Sirikit Dam, a nice seceninc spot about 50km east of Uttaradit up the hils (cool).

If you are into woven cloth (cheap local stuff, not the touristy thing) go to Laplae 15km west of Uttaradit.

These sure do not beat Sukothai's ruins.....

Enjoy

Edited by Krub

jb

:o

Here is a site with a contact number for the Elephant Ordination Ceremony

http://www.whatsontheplanet.com/wow/ptnr/f...event_id=100909

I'm not sure if clicking on the link will work or not, but if it doesn't you can copy it and paste it into your browser.

:D

:D It worked for me by clicking on the link :D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

What drought.

Massive storm in Phrae two days ago.

I lost a large canopy and damage to many windows, next door lost their entire roof.

Very nice Wat near DenChai that is worth a visit. Nothing in Phrae City worth seeing, absolutely NOTHING. Just ask if you need a hotel reccy.

ajahnlau - GF & I were in Phitsanulok last year, during the time they were giving the Pra Buddha Jinaraj it's full body mask. Made the HUGE mistake of referring to it as "that black thing," and was rewarded with icy silence until our arrival in Sukhothai later that afternoon. Lesson learned. I think I'll be ok as far as what to do there, but I would be interested in your thoughts on a nice place to stay. Glad to hear the rains came. Thanks again.

On the way between Pits and Phrae you might want to go up the Sirikit Dam, a nice scenic spot about 50km east of Uttaradit up the hills (cool).

If you are into woven cloth (cheap local stuff, not the touristy thing) go to Laplae 15km west of Uttaradit.

These sure do not beat Sukothai's ruins.....

Enjoy

Understood, and will do. Been to Sukhothai once, but ran through it rather too quickly, so a refresher is indeed in order. This is exactly the kind of expert info I was hoping for; many thanks.

IMA_FARANG - Link works beautifully. Best info I've seen yet on the matter. Thanks.

Thetyim - Thanks, and sorry to hear about your and your neighbor's losses. But..

Just ask if you need a hotel reccy.

Ok, I'm askin', I'm askin'. (It helps if you try imagining that coming out of Bugs Bunny's yap.)

Oh yeah, speakin' of rabbits, Happy Easter, if you're so inclined.

jb

New hotel just opened last month.

Bhoonthai Garden about 600 baht .

If you must have a pool then the Maeyom Palace is the only one, about 900baht.

Nakhon Phrae Hotel 400 baht

If you are going to Lampang on the return leg, stay at the Riverside Guesthouse. Its run by a falang lady with a Thai hubby. They also own the Riverside Restaurant next door. Good music, good food.

^Try getting that from some guidebook.

You rock.

jb

(who wishes he could speel.)

There is a good veiwpoint 10 km south of Phrae called Doi Leng

Worth a visit. You will not find it in the guide book.

P.S. Ajarnlau reccies are in Phitsanlok

jb

My wife's family live in Phitsanulok and we always stay in the Pet Pailyn hotel, this is just around the corner from the main Pailyn hotel, smaller and quite basic but only 450/550 Bt per night with aircon and vstrong shower. Does small free breakfast too. Their nbr 1 Bhudda has now been refurbished and is black no longer - vnice Wat just by the river, with good market several days a week. For entertainment try the Thai disco - 'Discovery', good and cheap (bring in yr own bottle, just pay for mixers & ice), good floor show (last year had a ladyboy show - great fun). Several nice restaurants on pontoons in the river, all wooden, Thai style great at night. Oh and there is a bronze foundry where they cast Bhuddas and temple bells (you can buy little ones for c.25Bt upwards (I can find the address if u r interested). Night market not up to much but the early food mkt v.good.