Blood Alcohol Limit In Los

deadman

hi guys

a friend told me he was stopped and breathtested near silom the other night. Has this happened to anyone before?

His girlfriend claimed the limit was 500 (?????) which i can only assume to be .05. If so i think thats 2 standard drinks in the first hour (which is 2 small bottles of beer).

Do the have random breathtesting here?

cheers

dm

According to wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content, the BAC for Thailand is .05%. This corresponds to what I have repeatedly heard. Also note, in reference to you comment about the "2 drinks in the fist hour" the chart on the wiki page shows how the weight and sex of the person doing the drinking effects the BAC and impairment level.

In the real world, there are many mentions both here at TV and elsewhere of the RTP using breathalyzers, both PAS (portable alcohol screening) devices and the table top versions located at the police stations. Remember that the RTP a wholly corrupt entity and are in no way in the public safety business, just the money making business, and catching people DWI is an increasingly popular way to raise some tea money. Usually the results of getting stopped are a fine paid on the spot, and you drive on home. Some of the descriptions of the cops trying to figure out how to use the breathalyzers are quite entertaining.

On the other hand, I have heard just as many stories of farangs on motorbikes getting stopped at checkpoints and who are barely sober enough to get their licenses from under the seat of the bike and remain upright. They were sent on their way as long as they have their license and are wearing a helmet.

There was a wonderfully entertaining story I read recently by a guy who was just arrested for DUI in Bangkok, but now I can't seem to find it. I thought it was on Thaivisa but maybe not.

Here is a couple threads regarding DUI in the LOS:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Busted-Drink...ng-t206694.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Drunk-Drivin...it-t290323.html

And now, for some DUI humor:

"Officer, take me drunk, I'm home"

"I'm not as think as you drunk I am."

WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may cause pregnancy.

Tequila: Ask your Doctor or pharmacist about it today"

"Side effects may include loss of virginity" :)

SB

Edited by Scubabuddha

I got stopped a few months back. It was at the toll booths at Suk soi 1. I'd had four small bottles of beer over the previous three hours. He held a thing like a hand held microphone about 8-10 inches away form my mouth. I was just about to give him my best Frank Sinatra, when he told me to blow.....He then looked at my licence, gave me a salute, and I was on my way. No talk of tea money.

I got stopped a few months back. It was at the toll booths at Suk soi 1. I'd had four small bottles of beer over the previous three hours. He held a thing like a hand held microphone about 8-10 inches away form my mouth. I was just about to give him my best Frank Sinatra, when he told me to blow.....He then looked at my licence, gave me a salute, and I was on my way. No talk of tea money.

Maybe he was audtioning you for his new band...?... :)

There was a wonderfully entertaining story I read recently by a guy who was just arrested for DUI in Bangkok, but now I can't seem to find it. I thought it was on Thaivisa but maybe not.

I think that was my story Scubabudda.... it was deleted and I got a suspension, and yes it was entertaining!!!!

Anyway, yep it's .05 or 50mg/ml (is that it, mg/mg?)

As for my story, you just reminded me that I have to go to Lumpini Police station and get my bail money back.... forgot about it until just now!

Rule #1 in Thailand : Never blow the breathalyzer, no matter what they threaten.

Rule #2: Never go to the police station with them.

Just take care of everything on the spot ($$$) and get moving. I made both mistakes because the cop was a jerk and I was out to teach him a lesson but forgot it was 4am and nobody was awake to answer the phone. So he taught me a lesson!!! Haha I fought the law and the law won!!!!

Aren't we all forgetting that drink driving does kill people everyday in Thailand! Look at the acrnage at Songkran!

We are acting like for some reason that we can drink and drive and not be subject to the laws of the land.

I do hope you don't drink and drive!

A friend of mine in Chiang Mai found out if you kill someone here when you are drunk there is no amount of money that you can pay to get out of it. You going to do time and.......

Don't drink and drive. Leave the car at home and take a taxi for everyone's sake!

BB

As for my story, you just reminded me that I have to go to Lumpini Police station and get my bail money back.... forgot about it until just now!

Ok you owe me half. :)

I think that was my story Scubabudda.... it was deleted and I got a suspension, and yes it was entertaining!!!!

Rule #1 in Thailand : Never blow the breathalyzer, no matter what they threaten.

Just take care of everything on the spot ($$$) and get moving. I made both mistakes because the cop was a jerk and I was out to teach him a lesson but forgot it was 4am and nobody was awake to answer the phone. So he taught me a lesson!!! Haha I fought the law and the law won!!!!

yepp

and your deleted story was great jcon :)

Rule #3: Always be polite and humble, and keep 20k in your pocket for last minute solution while still out on the streets

okie, my thai colleague was caught few days ago , drunk driving..over the limit......20k baht fine..one night in jail....24 hours of social work....like blood donation, reading books for the blind....cleaning the orphanage........blood donation counted as 6 hours of work......

okie, my thai colleague was caught few days ago , drunk driving..over the limit......20k baht fine..one night in jail....24 hours of social work....like blood donation, reading books for the blind....cleaning the orphanage........blood donation counted as 6 hours of work......

Did the blood donation need to be less than .05 BAC? :)

I thought not blowing in the breathylizer or going to the station with a cop would only aggravate the situation. Could u explain more.

Why did the moderators delete yr post?

thanx

DM

Just take care of everything on the spot ($) and get moving. I made both mistakes because the cop was a jerk and I was out to teach him a lesson but forgot it was 4am and nobody was awake to answer the phone. So he taught me a lesson!!! Haha I fought the law and the law won!!!!

BIB: Blow into this sir.

Driver: No bloody (hic) way!!

BIB: Ok then. Have a good evening. Bye.

Driver: B(hic)ye.

If the police ask you to undergo any form of breath analysis, you must do so.

Most of these electronic BAC devices are inaccurate & require regular calibration. The only way to be sure of your blood-alcohol level is to undergo a blood test.

Look at this;

http://www.choice.com.au/Reviews-and-Tests...ysers/page.aspx

Take note of the "Calibration required" part. How often are the BAC units, used by the BIB, calibrated?

In Australia, if you fail an initial BAC test (hand-held breathalyser), you are required to go to the police station (you do not drive...you are taken by the police).

At the station, a more accurate BAC device is used. If the test does not clearly prove that your BAC is over the limit, you may be required to undergo at blood test (at a hospital). I think you can refuse a blood test but I also think there are penalties for this.

In the UK you get the book chucked at you if you 'fail to provide a specimen of breath' on purpose.. However if you attempt to provide and fail, and can show that you ever had asthma, used an inhaler, etc thats not your fault. They then need to get a doctor to come and give you a blood test which is often not easy at 2am and takes until the am before they can.. Hence the blood reading is under (I am told vigorous exercise all night helps flush it too). Of course if your paraletic you will still be over in the am but if your close its possible to wing it on that.

Here in Thailand.

3996714035_da678f8996.jpg

Note the text

"If you cant avoid drinking alcohol" LOL..

"do not consume more than 6 glasses of whisky with mixer" !! Lets assume that thats not to be combines with the rest of the options !!

In the UK you get the book chucked at you if you 'fail to provide a specimen of breath' on purpose.. However if you attempt to provide and fail, and can show that you ever had asthma, used an inhaler, etc thats not your fault. They then need to get a doctor to come and give you a blood test which is often not easy at 2am and takes until the am before they can.. Hence the blood reading is under (I am told vigorous exercise all night helps flush it too). Of course if your paraletic you will still be over in the am but if your close its possible to wing it on that.

Here in Thailand.

3996714035_da678f8996.jpg

Note the text

"If you cant avoid drinking alcohol" LOL..

"do not consume more than 6 glasses of whisky with mixer" !! Lets assume that thats not to be combines with the rest of the options !!

Ever been drinking whisky with thais? Its so little whisky in each drink it barely tastes anything. 6 glasses of whisky is similar in alkohol to 2 beer, thats 0,5 0/00 bloodlevel.