Buying Land In Wifes Name

worriedgary

Hello, a few weeks back i read topic on goverment crack down on thai wifes buying fields for there forang husbands.

I recently tried to change the deads of some fields we bought from my sister inlaw to my wifes name. We made all the paperwork out in our local town, but when it was sent to, chaiyaphum main office is was sent back, as my wife has taken my name.

I explained that we have papers from the goverment office guarantying my wife is a thai national, but were told we cannot use her name. We now have had to put my mother in laws name on the deads. If anything happens to her my wife will have to change her name again!! Has anyone else had a similar prob?

No problem we bought land last year all you need to do is sign off a document saying that the land belongs to your wife and not you. Simple.

In December I need to sign the paperwork saying this, they have already transfered the land into my wife's name with out my signature but they said I must go and sign when in Thailand next.

That used to be the law, but it was changed years ago.

When we got married 5 years ago my wife kept her Thai name exactly because of the 'reluctance' of some offices to not do a land transfer to a Thai lady with a farang name.

Maybe you might be able to find a reliable lawyer(!) who could help 'educate' the officials about the actual law?

Alternatively, as one poster mentioned, they may be just after a 'transfer fee'. T.I.T I'm afraid.

My wife has a couple of parcels of land in her "farang" married name- not a problem so long as you sign to say you have no claim to it.

Although it shouldn't be necessary, maybe you need to visit the office and check the tea pot. :)

When we bought the land our home now stands on I had to sign a form saying that the money was my wife's, not mine, and also that I understood that I could never own the land. But no other problems. This was in Khon Kaen.

But anti-farang surname bias does exist. A Thai Airways agent refused my wife a special flight deal because of her having my surname. I wrote to Thai Airways and complained and they apologised, but we lost the deal at that time.

And recently my wife was marked lower than the rest of her team on a piece of team work for a university degree course. The visiting lecturer openly told her it was he didn't agree with Thai women marrying farangs. Then he went back to Chiang Mai and refused to answer the phone or emails.

Could just be a case of country bumpkins out in the fields and not with the current law. They are pledging to crack down on not just wives buying property with husband's money but all land purchases for foreigners that involve Thai partners that are just majority stand ins.

Wife's purchases are alright as long as you did not give her the cash to buy it with (as if that ever happens) or if she is buying it for you. Go in to the main office.

I never do business in Thailand, visa, work permit, land transfers, ect. without being there in person. Got kids? Bring the kids. Bring the in laws. If they see that you are a real family then things get easier.

Hello, a few weeks back i read topic on goverment crack down on thai wifes buying fields for there forang husbands.

I recently tried to change the deads of some fields we bought from my sister inlaw to my wifes name. We made all the paperwork out in our local town, but when it was sent to, chaiyaphum main office is was sent back, as my wife has taken my name.

I explained that we have papers from the goverment office guarantying my wife is a thai national, but were told we cannot use her name. We now have had to put my mother in laws name on the deads. If anything happens to her my wife will have to change her name again!! Has anyone else had a similar prob?

No problem if:

You haven’t broken the law and it is your wife’s money that was used for the purchasing of the land? And you have documents to prove it?

Go down to the Amphur office with these documents, receipts and proof you had not played any financial part with this land deal, than there should be no problems.

This utter bullshit is exactly the reason I never registered our marriage. Marriage should be none of the government's business. The End.

:)

I'm planning on taking the gfs name when we get married.

End of problem!

What a good idea, could be intresting. Wish I had thought of that. :D