After Rice

Hello,

my wife and i have about 5 rai we plant rice on for our family to eat. We dont plant any thing after. What a waste!

Have you plant other crops after rice has finished? If so what is the best and easyiest to keep, as we also have fields of chillis casava and soon will be planting sugar beet and poss eucalyptus.

Many thanks Gary.

No worried now but dont know how to change name!!!? Ha Ha

Yes you should be worried . The question does not give location of land, what is local practice, number of rice crops, available water, etc . Easiest to keep is continue what you have been doing with land (nothing)

Yes, water is important. Depending on where the land is located the most important thing to consider is can you irrigate it or will there be enough rain to grow your crops. After rice most farmers usually plant... rice.

If nothing else why not try a green manure.

Mung beans or peanuts perhaps.

But like someone said, it depends where you are & how much water youve got.

Ok guys im sorry for being nieve, yes we have an all round year supply of water, and yes we are planning to plant rice again, i was looking for people with more experience who could educate me. im located near chaiyaphum, in issan. Thanks again.

Hello,

my wife and i have about 5 rai we plant rice on for our family to eat. We dont plant any thing after. What a waste!

Have you plant other crops after rice has finished? If so what is the best and easyiest to keep, as we also have fields of chillis casava and soon will be planting sugar beet and poss eucalyptus.

Many thanks Gary.

In a word, hydroponics on 0.5~1 rai.

What to hydro?

Number of factors are involved...

labor, crop, selling the crop, to name a few

Ask Maizefarmer to help.

Hello,

Many thanks Gary.

Does this soil dry out after the rice growing season or does it stay wet/swampy?

If it dries out (and you have access to water for irrigation in the dry season), you could probably grow whatever you wanted to (i.e. its a small enough area to manage hands on every day). I wouldn't give it all over to one crop - try different things at the same time, just keep in mind it should all be crop types that are seasonal, and which can be ploughed back into the soil come the next rice growing season.

Beans (Mung) and peanuts are definetaly a good choice. Makua is another option - willl last for the whole dry season without having to be replanted and which you guys can pick on a daily basis and sell fresh in the local market. Any vegatable crop which wil last the whole dry season and which can be picked 2 - 3 times a week to sell at the local market for "cash in hand" has to be the way to go.

All the above are easy to grow - as are chillies.

What about a rai or 2 of sweetcorn(?) - fresh daily picked & cooked sweetcorn sells well at nightmarkets (steam/boil at night market and offer with salt & butter) - spread the sweetcorn planting out over say 1 month or so ..... plant half a rai first week, another half rai 10 days later, and some more another 10 days later - you don't want it all to mature at the same time and be stuck having to retail the whole crop in a couple days or so (sweetcorn looses its taste and flavour within a few days of been picked).

Edited by Maizefarmer

Hello,

Many thanks Gary.

Does this soil dry out after the rice growing season or does it stay wet/swampy?

If it dries out (and you have access to water for irrigation in the dry season), you could probably grow whatever you wanted to (i.e. its a small enough area to manage hands on every day). I wouldn't give it all over to one crop - try different things at the same time, just keep in mind it should all be crop types that are seasonal, and which can be ploughed back into the soil come the next rice growing season.

Beans (Mung) and peanuts are definetaly a good choice. Makua is another option - willl last for the whole dry season without having to be replanted and which you guys can pick on a daily basis and sell fresh in the local market. Any vegatable crop which wil last the whole dry season and which can be picked 2 - 3 times a week to sell at the local market for "cash in hand" has to be the way to go.

All the above are easy to grow - as are chillies.

What about a rai or 2 of sweetcorn(?) - fresh daily picked & cooked sweetcorn sells well at nightmarkets (steam/boil at night market and offer with salt & butter) - spread the sweetcorn planting out over say 1 month or so ..... plant half a rai first week, another half rai 10 days later, and some more another 10 days later - you don't want it all to mature at the same time and be stuck having to retail the whole crop in a couple days or so (sweetcorn looses its taste and flavour within a few days of been picked).

Thanks guys!!!

Great advise, multi crops sounds good. Our rice doing well, should be ready in about 4 weeks. Time for a holiday!!! going to phangan. Kids happy never seen a beach before.

Thanks again!!!

• 1 month later...