Sondhi Elected Leader Of New Politics Party

george

Sondhi elected leader of New Politics Party

BANGKOK: -- Media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul on Tuesday won a non-contested race to become the leader of the New Politics Party.

The installation of Sondhi's leadership took place at the first party convention following the completion of preliminary registration procedures.

Top contenders for party leadership, including interim leader Somsak Kosaisuk, withdrew their respective nominations to pave way for Sondhi's victory.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-10-06

BANGKOK: -- Media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul on Tuesday won a non-contested race to become the leader of the New Politics Party.

The installation of Sondhi's leadership took place at the first party convention following the completion of preliminary registration procedures.

Top contenders for party leadership, including interim leader Somsak Kosaisuk, withdrew their respective nominations to pave way for Sondhi's victory.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-10-06

Im confused, thought he had just been convicted of a crime (and given bail...again) but surely that precludes him from running a political party

I scratch my head and I am wondering too... How it comes? What's it all about?

i saw m.l. nattakorn devakula comment this morning. he mentioned that it was possible for sondhi under new politics party to pick up 10+ seats. he also mentioned that general sondhi boonyaratglin could expect the same under ruam jai thai and that with those numbers they could push for senior positions in the next elected government – even deputy prime minsters.

the irony of them both serving under a thaksin led coalition would only confuse alanis morissette further.

He's legally eligible, he'd be permanently disqualified if he spends any actual time in jail.

Well there is a rule/law that should be discussed in the constitutional debate that is coming up. Then it could also possibly lead to a discussion about whether libel should be a criminal offence thus killing 2 birds with one stone.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Another criminal in politics. Surprising, isn't it?

Seems like it is a prerequisite.

LOL. pretty much the case.

The one benefit to most pushing the legality envelope here is the lethargic motion of the Thai judicial system.

Keeps good and bad in the game for sometime.

looks like all the colours are used up. I suppose they will have to start using colours shorts soon. Black shorts anyone?

I wonder which UK party the 'new politics' party is closest? BNP, UK independence party or the more honest 'monster raving loony' party?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-10-06

Owwww, is he not going to have a problem owning so many businesses?

Edited by jayjayjayjay

UPDATE

NEW POLITICS PARTY

We found a party as Democrat disappointed us : Sondhi

gallery_327_1086_286.jpg

New leader of New Politics Party Sondhi Limthongkul said Wednesday he decided to support setting up of the party because he was disappointed with Democrat Party.

At first, he did not agree with the idea for PAD to set up a political party because he still had hope with Democrat Party.

"However I change my mind as Democrat Party disappointed me. The party forgot its roots and who supported it to become the government," Sondhi said.

Sondhi was elected as new leader of New Politics Party on Wednesday which was developped from PAD movement. The PAD's rallies against then PM Thaksin Shinawatra

was followed by a coup d'tat that ousted Thaksin.

He also said he was not worried that his leadership would face difficulties because he was sentenced to jail on some libel suits. He was in the process of appealing the verdicts.

A convicted person is prohibited by laws to become a leader of political party.

Sondhi was speaking during the first year anniversary ceremony which marked the violent police crackdown on the PAD protesters last year. Police fired tear gas into the protesters in front of the Parliament, resulting in death and injuries of the protesters.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/07

More likely he thinks fighting off his court cases would be easier once he is mighty and popular politician.

Perhaps offloading Manager is like Shin sale - there's no more room to grow, so need to sell.

It is currently impossible for Sonthi to offload his (Very small 0.75%) stake in the Manager group as the selling of shares in the company are suspended by SET. All assets of Sonthi (Manager Newspaper, ASTV etc) have been transfered to another compay Thaidaydotcom.

He is currently stuck with these shares in a media company, which is under a rehabilitation plan.

This will probably mean that under the current Constitution, he will be unable to stand in an election as he will be in violation of Article 48.

I've always said that the PAD and Sondhi Limthongkul were after power and would form a political party :D

I was attacked over and over and almost everyone on TV said I was wrong...

Was I ? :)

Whatever they say and write it's still the bitter hate between Sondhi and Thaksin which caused Sondhi to crawl from the sewers to the surface again aiming for political power; they both should be locked up on an uninhabited island for the next 30 years and Thailand will prosper again.

Hate - Power - Money and losing face....it's all in the Thai game of gambling for more money and more power.

It will be a long time before Thailand will gain credibility on the world's stage of politics again. In the west they're considered to be banana republic nut heads...all of them.

LaoPo

Sondhi (and others) were always about power politics, money and revenge. It was never about democracy.

As I said on another thread: I went through Thammasart yesterday to see what it was all about; I think I was a bit late, or a bit early (?). There were a few dozen militant looking folk wearing all black, some had yellow hats / bandanas - is this the "New Party' look? I wish I'd taken a photo to post. These were not the older, peaceful familly looking folk that I saw at PAD rallies.

I also walked through the dozen or so older familly looking folk, selling red T-shirts at Sanam Luang. Lots of police and what looked like air force recruits, but no trouble.

The amount of vitriol and BS that was bandied around claiming that the PAD would never enter politics was astounding.

Back then PAD was protesting against Thaksin.

These days they have the whole new agenda to campaign about - reform of Thai politics. That cannot be done outside of parliament, they have to deal with all the major stakeholders directly.

If you ask me if I'd approve of them forming a party to finish off Thaksin - No, that has nothing to do with legitimate politics. Pushing for the system overhaul is a different game altogether and Parliament is the legitimate place for those kind of ideas.

The amount of vitriol and BS that was bandied around claiming that the PAD would never enter politics was astounding.

Back then PAD was protesting against Thaksin.

These days they have the whole new agenda to campaign about - reform of Thai politics. That cannot be done outside of parliament, they have to deal with all the major stakeholders directly.

If you ask me if I'd approve of them forming a party to finish off Thaksin - No, that has nothing to do with legitimate politics. Pushing for the system overhaul is a different game altogether and Parliament is the legitimate place for those kind of ideas.

So, they should cut out their anti-Thaksin agenda now they're a political party, yes?