Thai Onion Shallot

luffy

Hie All,

I wanted to setup a business selling Thai onion shallots. Been searching everywhere but cannot find any reliable suppliers. Anybody can help me? Is it shallots plantation are located mainly at Lampang and Sisaket?

There is a large Dutch owned company that does this now. Their office is behind Lanna Hospital. They also do tomatoes. Their name is DATT. Google them and you'll find it.

Thanks a lot Earlofwindermere!!!!!! I found the company website with your helps. Really quick response. Are you a local in chiang mai? Can I know any other good suppliers there so that I can compare the pricing?

There used to be many places in the Ban Hong area (about 25-30 km south of Lamphun) on Highway 106 where you could buy direct from the farmer. I assume that they still do this, but have no current knowledge.

It was possible to drive down the side roads and see the garlic and shallots hanging out to dry. Worth a trip, but take a Thai speaker with you to ask directions.

For what it's worth, I've read that Thais consider shallots from Sisaket to be the best. Though, what their criteria are, I cannot say. The king's project sounds like a good bet 2. Also, you'll be helping to promote sustainable agriculter. Just to clarify the directions previously given, it's at the intersection of the canal road and doe saket rd. It's on the northwest corner.

I've also noticed a lot of signs up lately all over Chiang Mai that promote contacting farmers directly. However, they are all written in Thai except maybe for the words "Farm Project"or something like that. So you might need a Thai person to help you.

Doi Kham, the Royal Project for all your veg. The best and supports HM's projects too.

Off the canal road , right side on the way to Hang Dong, same soi as the WAT with the big white Buddha on the hill.

Thanks clinique. Before this I knew nothing about Doi Kham, The Royal Project. Now thanks to you at least I have a direction to do more research. Thanks again.

There used to be many places in the Ban Hong area (about 25-30 km south of Lamphun) on Highway 106 where you could buy direct from the farmer. I assume that they still do this, but have no current knowledge.

It was possible to drive down the side roads and see the garlic and shallots hanging out to dry. Worth a trip, but take a Thai speaker with you to ask directions.

Prior to this I wasn't sure if I should pay Lamphun a visit or not. After seeing your post, I think I really should visit Ban Hong at Lamphun. I did heard that there are shallots farms at Lamphun, but many are informing me that Lamphang has even more. Looks like I may need to hire a Thai speaker along with my trip to Lamphun. Thanks a lot to delboy!

For what it's worth, I've read that Thais consider shallots from Sisaket to be the best. Though, what their criteria are, I cannot say. The king's project sounds like a good bet 2. Also, you'll be helping to promote sustainable agriculter. Just to clarify the directions previously given, it's at the intersection of the canal road and doe saket rd. It's on the northwest corner.

I've also noticed a lot of signs up lately all over Chiang Mai that promote contacting farmers directly. However, they are all written in Thai except maybe for the words "Farm Project"or something like that. So you might need a Thai person to help you.

Thanks cozumelito. Few forumers from Sisaket did msg me about this too. With this at least I can compare the pricing and the cost of transportation. The Royal Project indeed is a good option. You know where can I get more info about The Royal Project? I do hope those shallots farmers able to arrange the transportation and packaging as I intend to export them back to my home country.

Thanks to you all and any extra info are very much appreciated.