O-a Long Stay Arrival

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heeeere we go again,gang.Round and round,Redwood definitely DID NOT have to obtain a re-entry permit,KK/HF insists he had to get one..(maybe ONLY those that go and ask if they need one have to get one??) Or maybe Thai Imm.Errrrr."saw

him coming"??

KK/HF insists he had to get one..(maybe ONLY those that go and ask if they need one have to get one??) Or maybe Thai Imm.Errrrr."saw

him coming"??

Harp, this guy's not playing with a full deck.....and you're probably right, Thai Imm 'saw him coming' and was more than willing to take his 3800bt. And if his conversation with Immigration went anything like his posts on this forum, I'm sure the Imm Officer is still scratching his head. Same for advice received at Don Muang (and Thai Embassy DC): the Imm Officer (MFA Officer) probably couldn't figure out what the real question was....

But the fact that his O-A visa expires in "Feb 06" says it is multi-entry (otherwise, as a single entry, it would expire in May 05). 3800bt wasted.

It's nice to know that since RDN's experience entering Thailand with a NonImm O-A, Immigration has now been briefed to give 365-day 'admitted until' stamps (RDN had to fight getting a 90-day stamp). And it also seems logical that now once the Imm Officer sees that the visa has 1. not expired and 2. it's multi-entry, then the only other decision he has to make is whether to reach for the 90-day stamp -- or now when he sees an "O-A" (or "B-A"), to reach for the 365-day stamp. And unless you become persona non grata, as long as your NonImmigrant visa is multi-entry and not expired, you will be admitted back into the country -- the fact that you have a hyphenate '-A' should only make a difference as to which stamp he reaches for -- not that he might have a third option.

I'm almost willing to bet how this will further evolve.

First, it has been a mistake to issue multi-entry O-A visas. If you remember, George discussed the following on another thread (from the Consulate in LA):

If the applicant qualifies for the "O-A" Visa, the Consulate will issue a Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa for a single journey into Thailand for a period up to 90 days....

(the 90 days in question here is duration of visa, not number of days 'admitted')

This makes sense, if for no other reason than it prevents a free extra year's stay in Thailand, which certainly is an unintended effect of issuing a multi-entry O-A. With a single entry O-A visa, you'll have to go to Immigration and get their reentry permit. And when you reenter Thailand under this reentry permit, Immigration, unlike when seeing an MFA-issued multi-entry visa, is programmed NOT to push out the 'admitted until' date.

I kinda like the idea of the Multi-entry O-A, however. I hope they just fix things at the border, namely by changing procedure so that the first 'admitted until' date under an O-A becomes non-movable. That way I won't have to visit Immigration until nearly a year later, when my visa is set to expire (I'll mail in my 90 day reports). At that point, I'll apply for not just my reentry permit, but also my first extension of stay.

Edited by JimGant

Calm down, Humble....

He's humbled

Seems more flustered than humbled!

:D

Well humbled by the ban button. :o

Ah well, I tried my best - you just can't help some people. I wonder what he was on <_<

He's been more than well known here, even through his multiple nicks. He is somethin' else :D

KK/HF insists he had to get one..(maybe ONLY those that go and ask if they need one have to get one??) Or maybe Thai Imm.Errrrr."saw

him coming"??

Harp, this guy's not playing with a full deck.....and you're probably right, Thai Imm 'saw him coming' and was more than willing to take his 3800bt. And if his conversation with Immigration went anything like his posts on this forum, I'm sure the Imm Officer is still scratching his head. Same for advice received at Don Muang (and Thai Embassy DC): the Imm Officer (MFA Officer) probably couldn't figure out what the real question was....

But the fact that his O-A visa expires in "Feb 06" says it is multi-entry (otherwise, as a single entry, it would expire in May 05). 3800bt wasted.

It's nice to know that since RDN's experience entering Thailand with a NonImm O-A, Immigration has now been briefed to give 365-day 'admitted until' stamps (RDN had to fight getting a 90-day stamp). And it also seems logical that now once the Imm Officer sees that the visa has 1. not expired and 2. it's multi-entry, then the only other decision he has to make is whether to reach for the 90-day stamp -- or now when he sees an "O-A" (or "B-A"), to reach for the 365-day stamp. And unless you become persona non grata, as long as your NonImmigrant visa is multi-entry and not expired, you will be admitted back into the country -- the fact that you have a hyphenate '-A' should only make a difference as to which stamp he reaches for -- not that he might have a third option.

I'm almost willing to bet how this will further evolve.

First, it has been a mistake to issue multi-entry O-A visas. If you remember, George discussed the following on another thread (from the Consulate in LA):

If the applicant qualifies for the "O-A" Visa, the Consulate will issue a Non-Immigrant "O-A" Visa for a single journey into Thailand for a period up to 90 days....
(the 90 days in question here is duration of visa, not number of days 'admitted')

This makes sense, if for no other reason than it prevents a free extra year's stay in Thailand, which certainly is an unintended effect of issuing a multi-entry O-A. With a single entry O-A visa, you'll have to go to Immigration and get their reentry permit. And when you reenter Thailand under this reentry permit, Immigration, unlike when seeing an MFA-issued multi-entry visa, is programmed NOT to push out the 'admitted until' date.

I kinda like the idea of the Multi-entry O-A, however. I hope they just fix things at the border, namely by changing procedure so that the first 'admitted until' date under an O-A becomes non-movable. That way I won't have to visit Immigration until nearly a year later, when my visa is set to expire (I'll mail in my 90 day reports). At that point, I'll apply for not just my reentry permit, but also my first extension of stay.

I think you're right too,Jim. It sounds like old KK/HF would've coughed up the 3,800 baht even if he KNEW others didn't have to,Very strange indeed.

As far as the multi OA is concerned,I dont understand why you'd want to "fix things" at the

border so that the 1st 365 day

entry stamp would be "non-movable"

(as it is with a single entry)

With the multi,you could leave and come back during the last week of the OAs validity and get yet another year,so you wouldn't have to visit immigration for almost 2 years.

(Assuming,like you say, you'll be doing your 90 day reports by mail)

But I think you're right,this "loophole" was almost certainly unintentional. At least Thai Imm is getting their additional $75 vs a single......

As far as the multi OA is concerned,I dont understand why you'd want to "fix things" at the border so that the 1st 365 day entry stamp would be "non-movable"

(as it is with a single entry)

Harp, I love it the way it is. But since I don't think they intended it as a two-year holiday, it will probably get fixed. And when it does, I'm just hoping the multi-entry option gets fixed too, and not just totally eliminated.

But it is interesting that the MFA community -- and their 'honoraries' -- apparently got the word to issue multi-entry O-A's (more than one having done it, so it doesn't sound like an accident). Just maybe they DID know what they were doing -- and the extra $75 almost covers the lost income from not getting 3800bt at the git go, plus an earlier extension fee.

Or maybe they thought we all would make an early donation like Humble!? :o

Jim,here's another possibility concerning MFA's issuance of multi OAs,In my case(and I also think mgnewman's) altho I could have apparently qualified

financially for my multi OA just by having more than $20K in a cash acct,the consulate ALSO wanted to see that I was receiving a pension of at least $1,600/month. This was

my "proof" that I was "officially retired".....and it also proved that I have a steady(and ,in my case, annually adjusted for inflation) lifelong income stream that would be adequate in and of itself to support me in Thailand.Hence,knowing this,they saw no risk in issuing the multi supposedly realizing that one could get almost 2 yrs. entry without having to extend in LOS.

I realize Im speculating here but nevertheless,this could indeed be a factor.

Anyway,if they do indeed "fix things" going forward ,I hope it wont be before Feb.06.when my multi OA will expire! Of course,that's along way off....

Harp, yeah, fun to speculate over all this -- Humble sure threw a curve that got us all thinking. But it sure doesn't make sense that you'd need a reentry permit from Immigration as long as your multi-entry visa hasn't expired. A NonImmigrant Multi Entry visa, regardless of flavor, should get you into Thailand as long as it hasn't expired - any other scenario (unless blacklisted) just doesn't make sense.

Oh well. You and MG can give us the real skinny soon. By the way, when are you headed for Thailand?

(Interestingly, if you'd gotten a single-entry NonImm O-A, you'd have to use it by May 6, 2005. Maybe the Thais thought this 3-month 'window' was too small for some, resulting in the multi-entry changeover(?). And it is nice to have a little more wiggle room before making the big leap.)

But enuf speculation.

... Maybe the Thais thought this 3-month 'window' was too small for some...

Yes, I always thought the 3 months validity was a bit short, so I came to Thailand just for 10 days to prove that the visa worked, got the one year stamp (but only just), got the multiple re-entry permit (1,000 baht in those days :o ), and came back home to finish all the arrangements for retiring (which actually took 4 1/2 months - that's how long it was before I could return to Thailand).

Harp, yeah, fun to speculate over all this -- Humble sure threw a curve that got us all thinking. But it sure doesn't make sense that you'd need a reentry permit from Immigration as long as your multi-entry visa hasn't expired. A NonImmigrant Multi Entry visa, regardless of flavor, should get you into Thailand as long as it hasn't expired - any other scenario (unless blacklisted) just doesn't make sense.

Oh well. You and MG can give us the real skinny soon. By the way, when are you headed for Thailand?

(Interestingly, if you'd gotten a single-entry NonImm O-A, you'd have to use it by May 6, 2005. Maybe the Thais thought this 3-month 'window' was too small for some, resulting in the multi-entry changeover(?). And it is nice to have a little more wiggle room before making the big leap.)

But enuf speculation.

Hi Jim,Im due to arrive on May 4,

and I think mgnewman arrives sometime next week.

The "wiggle room" you mention is indeed a real added plus. Ill be able to recon back to the U.S. this summer(Ive got a whole slew of cousins Ive never even met yet) and also take care of some other business.Then go back to LOS before the winter sets in(early Nov.),and that will yet leave more than enough time to bop on down to Australia

for a visit(something Ive been wanting to do anyway) and return before my OA expiration date in Feb. 06,should be good then till Feb 07.

Planning to then get the re-entry permit ASAP after the OA expiration date. In that case I will already have it in case I may want to leave again suddenly for whatever reason.

Anyway,those are the plans at this time,hope this wont be TOO hard to explain to the TGF!

:o

How direct a flight from Saipan to Bangkok? Have a feeling you have to transit Narita(?).

It's quite indirect.

We leave Saipan at 9:00 AM and then fly to Nagoya for a one hour layover and then on to Narita where we have five hours. The flight from Narita to Bangkok arrives about midnight. The total elapsed time is 12 hours. This is on Northwest.

You can also go via Seoul on Asiana or via Manila on Continental with connections to Bangkok on several carriers.

I had to go on Northwest because the Feds are paying the fare and I have to travel on a US carrier!

How direct a flight from Saipan to Bangkok? Have a feeling you have to transit Narita(?).

It's quite indirect.

We leave Saipan at 9:00 AM and then fly to Nagoya for a one hour layover and then on to Narita where we have five hours. The flight from Narita to Bangkok arrives about midnight. The total elapsed time is 12 hours. This is on Northwest.

You can also go via Seoul on Asiana or via Manila on Continental with connections to Bangkok on several carriers.

I had to go on Northwest because the Feds are paying the fare and I have to travel on a US carrier!

Have a safe flight.

If you hve the energy and the time at NRT I would suggest going to the Narita temple where the cherry trees are in full bloom a real treat

Have a safe flight

Ah, yes. I remember arguing that the lovelies on Singapore Airlines would make my TDY much more productive than suffering the dumpies of United or Northworst. Sighhhhh.

Good luck with the move. Korat, right? (my wife's hometown).

It's quite indirect.

The adventure begins :o Best of luck.

Harp,

Where in Thailand are you settling?

MG,

Jim,I will be settling in C.Mai.

Will stay in BKK for a few days to see friends,get rid of jet lag,hit some music clubs,etc.Then go down to Samui (will be meeting a buddy of mine on vacation from N.O. who wants to go back there),then to C.Mai.around May 15 or so.

Ill be at the Top North Hotel(NOT the guest house of same name) where the senior members of the staff are long time friends of mine, (and its close to AUA where I plan to further my Thai language studies as well)

Mike: Our former employer wouldnt have paid for you on Continental thru Manila? Just curious because its a U.S.airline.Im stuck coming on NW as well thru Narita,after hanging out in San Francisco for 4 days(much shorter flight,that 25+ hours from N.O.is a real killer!)......

I believe "shotover" had been here a year on an O-A multiple entry visa and after it expired he purchased a multiple re-entry permit for 3800 baht.

-redwood

Actually, I purchased the O-A multiple entry 'Retirement' visa from the Thai consulate in Houston Texas in April 2004 at a total cost of 5700 baht ($126 USD, representing 1900 baht for the visa plus 3800 baht for the multiple entry privilege). No further transactions after initially arriving in Thailand on 26 Apr 2004.

I have left and reentered Thailand 5 times since my initial arrival date in Apr 2004, and each time the Thai Immigration Officer at Don Muang has stamped my passport a reentry date good for one year from the time of each arrival.

For example, I arrived in Bkk 2 Apr 2005 after a trip outside Thailand, and was given a stamp good for reentry up until 1 Apr 2006. According to a Thai Immigration official at the Suan Phlu office, I will not have to reapply for a visa extension until 1 Apr 2006, thus given me 2 years in Thailand for the original visa issued in Apr 2004. Not the result I expected when I first applied for the visa, but a pleasant one nonetheless.

I anticipate that when I leave Thailand later this month, and return in late May 2005, that I will not get a reentry date past 1 Apr 2006. Will report my experience.

Edited by shotover

I anticipate that when I leave Thailand later this month, and return in late May 2005, that I will not get a reentry date past 1 Apr 2006. Will report my experience.

Shotover,

From the info you provided, your Multiple Entry NonImm O-A expires this month (i.e., one year from its issue date, which is standard procedure for Multiple Entry visas) So, even if you have a stamp in your passport saying you're admitted until April 1, 2006, if you leave and try to re-enter, you're probably going to hit a brick wall and get a 30-day stamp (and the 4/1/06 stamp cancelled). And how you unravel things from there, I don't know, since you can't (supposedly) apply for an extension of stay with only a 30-day entry permit.

So it would seem you need to get a re-entry stamp from Immigration before your next travel -- since you will no longer have re-entry permission once your O-A visa expires.

(Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, and you have gotten a reentry permit from Immigration. But given the above quote, it sounds like you might be confusing the 'admitted until 1 April 2006' as a 'reentry' stamp(?).)

(My wife got a one-year extension of stay in her US passport, and after a trip abroad, reentered Thailand, not even looking at the admitted until stamp, as she knew she had 10 months left on her extension stamp. Yep, she hadn't gotten a reentry permit, so Don Muang gave her a 30-day stamp. She didn't know this until she tried to leave Thailand 4 months later -- and had to pay a big baht fine to get out. [second lesson here: always check your admitted stamp]

... it would seem you need to get a re-entry stamp from Immigration before your next travel ...

You beat me to it, Jim. My recommendation also. These multi-O-A's are a bit of an unknown quantity.

I still believe extending an O visa in Thailand is the easiest way to go. No major medical, no police clearance, and no notarization of the triplicate application. That notarization requires the services of a high priced notary public.

I still believe extending an O visa in Thailand is the easiest way to go. No major medical, no police clearance, and no notarization of the triplicate application. That notarization requires the services of a high priced notary public.

Doc,

I would agree -- if, in fact, notarization is required. But what I've been hearing here is that the honorary Consulates, at least in the States, realize that 'notarization' as defined in the States is not practical and so don't require it. And I can find some quack to sign off that I don't have elephantitis -- and the local sheriff is a pussycat. Then, I just mail it in.

But, I realize one size doesn't fit all -- and I'm not really sure how this notarization thing works in other countries (RDN, ain't you a Limey? :o )

(And I'm still confused about how an O-A vs. extending an O in Thailand might aid my household shipment to Thailand, as regards duties(?))