Thailand To Deploy 18,000 Security Personnel At Asean Summit

george

Thailand to deploy 18,000 security personnel at ASEAN Summit

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) on Friday approved a security plan for the upcoming summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) with 18,000 personnel to be deployed to maintain order at and around the summit venues in the Thai seaside resorts of Cha-am and Hua Hin.

The government earlier resolved to invoke the Internal Security Act (ISA) to maintain law and order between October 12 and 27 in five sub-districts of Phetchaburi's Cha-am district and four sub-districts of Prachuab Khiri Khan's Hua Hin district.

Dr Panitan Wattanayakorn, deputy secretary-general to the prime minister, said that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva chaired the ISOC meeting which was attended by Defence Minister Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan, Supreme Commander Gen. Songkitti Jakkabatra, three armed forces commanders-in chief and acting national police chief Pol. Gen. Pratheep Tanprasert.

Dr Panitan, who is also acting government spokesman, said the meeting approved the "Cha-am-Hua Hin 521" operational plan and the establishment of a joint security operations centre for the 15th ASEAN Summit under the supervision by Defence Minister.

The deputy secretary-general added that combined forces of 18,298 security personnel, including 4,000 police and 5,000 military, will be deployed to maintain order during the ASEAN Summit and related meetings.

"The ISOC meeting has evaluated that there will likely be movement from three groups; political activists in Phetchaburi and Prachuab Khiri Khan provinces, environmental activists and academic groups as well as some groups from other provinces, " said Dr Panitan.

We have already coodinated with them to gather in specific areas designated for demonstration, said Dr Panitan.

The acting government spokesman however affirmed that intelligence agencies have so far not found any suspicious movements linked to international terrorist groups, but it would continue keeping a close watch saying that the Royal Thai Navy will also monitor the sea area of 12 nautical miles adjacent to the three nautical miles (5.6 kilometre) zone declared off-limits, while security personnel will monitor important spots in the Thai capital.

"The prime minister reiterated that the upcoming summit will prove to other nations that situation in Thailand has returned to normal and the country can organise international meetings after its reputation was tarnished when anti-government protesters stormed into the ASEAN Summit venues in Pattaya forcing the cancellation of the meeting," said Dr Panitan.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-10-09

is this why thailand bought new rifles? :)

no I think they bought it because there is always a nice commission on such purchases.

And always a good market to sell the old ones! maybe Burma?

Now Now boys, you know that there is no corruption or prostitution in Thailand, any minister can reassure on that if you dont believe me.

I can not imagine what there are going to do with 18,000 security people?....but then at any given time at least 9000 will be out eating and maybe another 6000 off duty...

so there is actually only 3000 taking care of security at any given time.....

"Residents" like myself are being issued with ID cards......no ID card no travel ih HH during the summit....at least that's what we were told by a group of "officials" that

came around a couple of week ago....they asked for identity papers (passport in my case) and recorded everything. ID card or not.....I'm outta here before this

thing gets going.......good luck to all the tourists.....

I leave Heathrow tomorrow for 2 weeks in Cha Am, is this going to affect my holiday at all? :)

Thanks

In a word, yes, you may find it better to have a look at another part of the country at that time, chiang Mai is always nice.

History shows one has a much higher chance of running into a red-ruckus in CM than in Hua Hin or Cha am.... Besides, Hua Hin/Cha am will be the most secure place in Thailand. However, security checks incoming may cause some minor delays and there will likely be a few restricted areas. All unfortunately necessary. There'll be some minor inconvenience but like the last summit on Phuket, they won't be turning tourists away. Enjoy your holiday, should be fine.

no I think they bought it because there is always a nice commission on such purchases.

Now Now boys, you know that there is no corruption or prostitution in Thailand, any minister can reassure on that if you dont believe me.

...for a small fee of course

"The prime minister reiterated that the upcoming summit will prove to other nations that situation in Thailand has returned to normal and the country can organise international meetings after its reputation was tarnished when anti-government protesters stormed into the ASEAN Summit venues in Pattaya forcing the cancellation of the meeting," said Dr Panitan.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-10-09

Now let me get this straight, it takes 18,000 security personnel in order to hold a meeting but none of the foreign dignitaries are going to notice this??? And we all think Thailand has returned to normal!!! And nobody reads the press? Do these people think everyone is as thick as they are? What a joke. :):D :D

I live on Cha Am/Hua Hin boundary close to the Dusit Thani where the conference will take place. The security is just to make sure Red Shirts, Yellow Shirts, Green Shirts, Blue Shirts or whatever don't even think about it.

Your holiday will be fine but take you passport with you when you leave the hotel. Have a nice time in our lovely city.

I leave Heathrow tomorrow for 2 weeks in Cha Am, is this going to affect my holiday at all? :D

Thanks

In a word, yes, you may find it better to have a look at another part of the country at that time, chiang Mai is always nice.

History shows one has a much higher chance of running into a red-ruckus in CM than in Hua Hin or Cha am.... Besides, Hua Hin/Cha am will be the most secure place in Thailand. However, security checks incoming may cause some minor delays and there will likely be a few restricted areas. All unfortunately necessary. There'll be some minor inconvenience but like the last summit on Phuket, they won't be turning tourists away. Enjoy your holiday, should be fine.

guess the beach is a NO GO area :) but who needs the beach, its raining all day anyway :D:D

good luck for all the "service girls" in ca und hh, brings a lot of money to the area.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-10-09

Now let me get this straight, it takes 18,000 security personnel in order to hold a meeting but none of the foreign dignitaries are going to notice this??? And we all think Thailand has returned to normal!!! And nobody reads the press? Do these people think everyone is as thick as they are? What a joke. :):D:D

Are you people berating the Thai govt. for bringing adequate security to insure there will be no trouble at this meeting the same people that berated the govt. for not having proper security at the last attempt in Pattaya? what a joke you posters are.

I live on Cha Am/Hua Hin boundary close to the Dusit Thani where the conference will take place. The security is just to make sure Red Shirts, Yellow Shirts, Green Shirts, Blue Shirts or whatever don't even think about it.

Your holiday will be fine but take you passport with you when you leave the hotel. Have a nice time in our lovely city.

thanks, so I will bring some passports too :)190161_m1w200q80v37866.jpg

..........The prime minister reiterated that the upcoming summit will prove to other nations that situation in Thailand has returned to normal and the country can organise international meetings

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-10-09

May regret that quote.

Give him the NoBalls Peace prize!

Yes, those old M16s would have been just fine for this crowd...

What "crowd" are you referring to...Thai civilians protesting government corruption or Burmese monks and civilians protesting a fasciast muderous regime?

thanks, so I will bring some passports too :D190161_m1w200q80v37866.jpg

Excellent! :)

"The ISOC meeting has evaluated that there will likely be movement from three groups; political activists in Phetchaburi and Prachuab Khiri Khan provinces, environmental activists and academic groups as well as some groups from other provinces, " said Dr Panitan.

We have already coodinated with them to gather in specific areas designated for demonstration, said Dr Panitan.

The acting government spokesman however affirmed that intelligence agencies have so far not found any suspicious movements linked to international terrorist groups, but it would continue keeping a close watch saying that the Royal Thai Navy will also monitor the sea area of 12 nautical miles adjacent to the three nautical miles (5.6 kilometre) zone declared off-limits, while security personnel will monitor important spots in the Thai capital.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-10-09

Gee, I wonder why academic groups and groups that want to protect the environment from being destroyed by oligarchs and multinational big businesses would want to protest at the ASEAN meeting? :D

Maybe there are some bad things being planned at these meetings. Of course not. :D

All the ASEANS meetings, the G8, etc. should be shut down everywhere they are held. Most of the participants are a bunch of corrupt elites who represent absolute greed at the expense of anyone who gets in their way.

I wonder if Tibet will have a representative at the ASEAN meeting. :)

Fasciast, tyranical, communtist China will.

Money is all that matters to these people (ASEAN representatives)... not freedom, democracy, Human rights, environmental preservation, etc.

18,000 security people ? Wow...... Is it only me that sees the joke of saying >>>>

" The prime minister reiterated that the upcoming summit will prove to other nations that situation in Thailand has returned to normal and the country can organise international meetings.

and then at the same time having 18,000 people guarding the meeting ?? To me that is a bit like having a Russian friend who says Moscow is a safe place to visit, and when you arrive at the Moscow airport he has assigned 10 body guards to you. :)

Seems like they would be better off with a couple thousand tough guys, instead of a massive swarm of soldiers.......

I can not imagine what there are going to do with 18,000 security people?....but then at any given time at least 9000 will be out eating and maybe another 6000 off duty...

"Residents" like myself are being issued with ID cards......no ID card no travel ih HH during the summit....at least that's what we were told by a group of "officials" that

came around a couple of week ago....they asked for identity papers (passport in my case) and recorded everything. ID card or not.....I'm outta here before this

18.000:

4000 Eating

5000 sleeping

1000 at Mia Noi

2000 busy with calling wife or Mia Noi

2000 busy chating with the the girl next door

1000 hiding somewhere to avoid work

2000 somewhere on the way in the wrong direction due to poor planing

1000 provide security, that sounds reasonable

18.000:

4000 Eating

5000 sleeping

1000 at Mia Noi

2000 busy with calling wife or Mia Noi

2000 busy chating with the the girl next door

1000 hiding somewhere to avoid work

2000 somewhere on the way in the wrong direction due to poor planing

1000 provide security, that sounds reasonable

You forgot 500 enjoying a siesta.