Us President Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

webfact

US President Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

By BBC

Oslo - US President Barack Obama on Friday won the Nobel Peace Prize less than a year after he took office with the jury hailing his "extraordinary" diplomatic efforts on the international stage.

The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's prize. Zimbabwe's prime minister and a Chinese dissident had been among the favourites.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said as the prize was announced.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/09

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this must be a joke... Usually the prize is given based on life's work or other extraordinary achievements, not spending a year trying to patch up the damage that was done by Bush...

Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against Obama but this is bit thick if this is true...

So? So did Yassar Arafat.

What a <deleted> joke. I like the guy. Nice to have a beer with I'm sure. But he has failed miserably on fixing Wall Street, Health Care and much more to come.

The prize/payoff is actually for saving Wall Street's ass but it sounds better as a "Peace Prize".

Predictable post Bush responses.

Ignoring the last paragraph's that explain their logic.

There will always be those who just hate USA, based on their personal biases.

Congratulations Mr. President.

I for one HAVE felt safer...

even safer from verbal assault from our so called allies citizens,

since Obama began his long overdue retread of the USA's global image.

Maybe it is a bit early, but he still has caused a sea change in the perceptions

of a huge segment of the world towards America, and I never expected all to agree.

Face it, Bush was a terrible act to follow and it is amazing how much progress has

been made to erase his bilious legacy. Even in the worst of times and

with the least amount of assets to make use of.

Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

President Obama was awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday. The first African-American to win the White House, Obama was praised by the Norweigan Nobel Committee for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

CNN full story

Maybe it is for the 'change you can believe in'. Like having troops return home - oh, no i forgot he has actually increased troops and inreased attacks on Pakistan. Mayabe because he has improved the economy by approving the bailout package thus giving trillions to the banksters - oh, no i forgot the dollar is falling rapidly and even the Thai central bank has stepped in to support the dollar due to the large amount of reserves held in dollars.

Oh, I get it it is to impress the brain dead Obamanauts.

I had to do a quick search just to make sure this wasn't a joke.

Increasing the war in Afghanistan and bombing Pakistan is peace now? Not to mention swapping many of the troops that were deployed in Iraq with private mercenaries.

Amazing.