Setting Up A Thai Paypal Account

Hey There,

Setting up a Thai PayPal account is not overly complicated. Just set your location to Thailand, and the rest is pretty self explanatory, and you can have your account up and running very quickly indeed.

However, when you select the bank that you want to link to your Thai PayPal account to, the drop down menu of the list of banks that you can select is ONLY in Thai, despite you choosing English as the language option. After speaking to PayPal customer service in Singapore, I have been able to obtain a list of the banks and their translations. Thought I would post that list (see below) to make it easier for anyone else struggling to work out which bank is which. Below is the email I received from PayPal.

Hope it at least helps someone.

Regards

Bridge

I'm the customer service agent talked with you named Jackie. I will be happy to assist you with your question regarding your PayPal account.

According to your phone, I understand that you have problem to link your bank account to your PayPal account due to language gap.

I would like provide a list of Thailand bank account name for your reference.

Bank Code Bank Name in Thai language Bank name:

002 ธนาคารกรุงเทพ จำกัด (มหาชน) Bangkok Bank Public Co.,Ltd.

004 ธนาคารกสิกรไทย จำกัด (มหาชน) Kasikornbank Public Co.,Ltd.

005 ธนาคารเอบีเอ็น แอมโร เอ็น.วี. ABN-Amro N.V. Bank

006 ธนาคารกรุงไทย จำกัด (มหาชน) Krung Thai Bank Public Co.,Ltd.

008 ธนาคารเจพีมอร์แกน เชส สาขากรุงเทพ JP Morgan Chase Bank, Bangkok Branch 010 ธนาคารแห่งโตเกียว-มิตซูบิชิ จำกัด สาขากรุงเทพ The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi Ltd.

011ธนาคารทหารไทย จำกัด (มหาชน) TMB Bank Public Co.,Ltd.

012 ธนาคารทหารไทย จำกัด (มหาชน) (เดิม ธนาคารดีบีเอส ไทยทนุ) TMB Bank Public Co.,Ltd. (formerly DBS Thaitanu)

014 ธนาคารไทยพาณิชย์ จำกัด (มหาชน) The Siam Commercial Bank Public Co.,Ltd.

015 ธนาคารนครหลวงไทย จำกัด (มหาชน) Siam City Bank LTD.

017 ธนาคารซิตี้แบงก์, เอ็น.เอ. Citibank, N.A.

018 ธนาคารซูมิโตโม มิตซุย แบงกิง้คอร์ปอร์เรชั่น The Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation

019 ธนาคาร UOB รัตนสิน จำกัด (มหาชน) UOB Radanasin Bank Public Co.,Ltd.

020 ธนาคาร สแตนดาร์ดชาร์เตอร์ด (ไทย) จำกัด (มหาชน) Standard Chartered

(Thai) Plc.

022 ธนาคารไทยธนาคาร จำกัด (มหาชน) Bankthai Public Co.,Ltd.

024 ธนาคารเอเชีย จำกัด (มหาชน) Bank of Asia Public Co.,Ltd.

025 ธนาคารกรุงศรีอยุธยา จำกัด (มหาชน) Bank of Ayudhya Public Co.,Ltd.

026 ธนาคารสากลพาณิชย์แห่งประเทศจีน The International Commercial Bank of China

027 ธนาคารแห่งอเมริกา เนชันแนลแอสโซซิเอชั่น Bank of America National Association

028 คาลิ(blank) CALYON (CALYON)

030 ธนาคารออมสิน The Government Saving Bank

031ธนาคารฮ่องกงและเซี่ยงไฮ้ฯ จำกัด The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corp.

032 ธนาคารดอยซ์แบงก์ Deutsche Bank Aktiengesellschaft

033 ธนาคารอาคารสงเคราะห์ The Government Housing Bank

039 ธนาคารมิซูโฮ คอร์ปอร์เรต จำกัด Mizuho Corporate Bank, Ltd.

065 ธนาคารธนชาต จำกัด (มหาชน) Tanachat bank Public Company Limited

067 ธนาคารทิสโก้ จำกัด (มหาชน) Tisco Bank Public Company Limited

If you need any other further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing PayPal.

I love the singapore customer service Paypal bots. I still havent figured out if they are human or just semi-advanced AI.

Thanks for the list. Saves me from having to pull the wife away from the soaps.

Yeah I've had to drag my missus away several times to ask which was my bank, she was not amused! :)

On a more serious note, I've just added and verified my K Shopping Card to Paypal (Kasikorn bank's online virtual debit card) only to find that I cannot add funds from Kasikorn to Paypal. ANybody know how to get around this, it's seriously inconvenient!

I love the singapore customer service Paypal bots. I still havent figured out if they are human or just semi-advanced AI.

Thanks for the list. Saves me from having to pull the wife away from the soaps.

Yeah I've had to drag my missus away several times to ask which was my bank, she was not amused! :)

On a more serious note, I've just added and verified my K Shopping Card to Paypal (Kasikorn bank's online virtual debit card) only to find that I cannot add funds from Kasikorn to Paypal. ANybody know how to get around this, it's seriously inconvenient!

u can opt for "verified by visa" which is free. you should be able to fund ur account with ur debit card then. it was PP which didn't accept the 'verified by visa' until months ago.

I also have the same problem

"PayPal does not currently offer the ability to add funds from your bank account."

"When you make a payment, PayPal charges the buyer's credit card and instantly credits the seller's PayPal account."

I also have Kasikorn and use the Web shopping card and can send money and make purchases using paypal easily.

I have also sucessfully transfered funds into my Kasikorn Savings account.

It just seems that unless you receive the money, there is no way to stash cash in the PayPal balance.

What would be the reason for wanting to stash cash in your paypal account?

Monty, no offence old chap but your question doesnt appear to be helping any of the queries in this thread. I got exactly the same message Taffylee, extremely annoying!!

Sorry, honest question!

Paypal is a a system to facilitate payments and to facilitate the receiving of payments. AFAIK they never aimed to be a bank, hence my question why would you want to keep funds in that account?

Along with the reputation paypal has to sometimes freeze accounts with very little reason, and preferably accounts with a fair amount of funds in them!

So you can purchase items would be the logical answer. :)

Guess not, as the poster of the question has his debit card verified, and when you purchase something Paypal will just charge the card and forward the amount to the merchant.

So purchasing items is no problem, just putting cash in the paypal account without spending it seems to be impossible from Thailand.

But the full functionality of PayPal is still there but sending money and making purchases is directly linked to your debit card. I don't understand why someone would desire topping up his account beforehand (unless it is difficult to use the debit card for some reason).

But the full functionality of PayPal is still there but sending money and making purchases is directly linked to your debit card. I don't understand why someone would desire topping up his account beforehand (unless it is difficult to use the debit card for some reason).

I tried to upload funds from a Thai credit card and kept hitting a very low sending limit- 1500 bt I think at any one time good for 1 month.

I agree it's quite dangerous to keep too much in the account, just signing in from an internet cafe - could result in your account being frozen.

I tried to upload funds from a Thai credit card and kept hitting a very low sending limit- 1500 bt I think at any one time good for 1 month.

I agree it's quite dangerous to keep too much in the account, just signing in from an internet cafe - could result in your account being frozen.

I do most of my internet transactions by PayPal if possible... I have spend up to 60'000 THB in one month and not had any problems.

stashing cash in cc acct? there were several reasons.... for examples....

fwiw.... there are many cash endowed persons in sumpeng, pratunum, jarw-wa-rurd areas who tried to payoff, several times a month, their cc cards issued in thailand, hkg, us, euro nominated acc.... with cash generated from their above ground as well as underground activities.... each of those card carried a six digits limit in us currency.... reasons given were that they have large travelling family members who like to shop.... perhaps, the op is one of those mentioned who just like to shop.... around the globe....

Edited by nakachalet

stashing cash in cc acct? there were several reasons.... for examples....

That I can understand.

However Paypal is no cc account (apart from US citizens with a US paypal account, AFAIK they can get a paypal cc card, or at least a debit card).

I do most of my internet transactions by PayPal if possible... I have spend up to 60'000 THB in one month and not had any problems.

I also do a fair few transaction every month. I like the fact that I do not have to divulge cc card details to each and every merchant I deal with.

I also like the fact I can set up recurring payments, centralized in one paypal account. Some of them are rather important (website hosting etc), now when my cc card expires (or if it gets stolen or so), I just have to update my paypal account with the new card, and all my recurring payments are live again.

One thing I do not like is to have cash in the account. To many horror stories of accounts getting frozen, and invariably accounts with several thousand $'s in.

You can get it cleared normally but this often involves faxing them invoices of utilities of your house (gas, water, electrics,...) tp prove tour identity/address, which in my case in a rented house all are in the name of my land lady. My post paid mobile phone account is in company name as is my internet.

If ever in that situation with maybe a few bucks in the paypal account, no worries. With a few thousand in, ouch...

So any funds come in there (doesn't happen much) I just withdraw to my Bkk bank account straight away unless I have payments coming up in the very near future...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

we've been trying to set up a paypal account or the father in law so to send some money over for xmas & we've got as far as setting the account up & putting a few quid in (not mine,its from the wifes wage) but this is where we are having problems, to be able to transfer it from paypal to his account we nee to verify his account with a card .

it looks like most of you guys are missing the point most thai bankcard are the same as ours, but unfortnatly TMB bank aren't i've no idea which others are the same as TMB but there are banks that will allow paypal & some that don't.