Girl talk...

sbk

OK, farang girls, have a few questions... I go to bangkok pretty much once a year. I had my hair cut at the Toni & Guy's at Siam center (great haircut by the way, 750 baht). but would like to find something a little closer to home (koh Phangan). The few times I have had my hair cut here have been disasters. any recommendations from samui? phuket?

ok, second question, ob/gyns? anyone have a good recommendation? even bangkok would be ok for this. have looked at maybe bumrungrad, went there for the dermatologist and was very impressed. went to ban don hospital in surat and was not thrilled.  sorry if this is too girlie for you guys but after all, this is the farang girls in thailand forum!

Hi sbk

Don't tend to spend much time around that part - am usually around the east. However, when I return will be spending more time than usual in bangkok and have been worried about finding a hairdresser. This was never a problem as the ex's mum was one - however that's out the question now  :o . Do you know whether Toni & Guy do foil highlights? I know this can be quite expensive, but it's the only thing that's good for my hair as it's quite fair and fine (and needs the extra oomf). Want to avoid a disaster story if I can (have too many of those already)  :D

Hi, For the hairdresser, I just last week went to the International Hair Studio in Chaweng, where there is an Austrian lady who does all the good stuff for us with difficult farang hair. She does foil, dye, good cut etc, not sure about perms but then, why would you! :D Was reasonable price, 1000 baht to dye my dark blonde locks to dark brown with 3 different shades of foil hylight colour & a cut too. Not bad in my book considering I usually get this done in UK & it costs me more than 7k baht! Location is on the first entrance to Chaweng, coming from lamai, after springer motobike shop & opposite a dive shop.

Fot the ob/gyn, not sure, I always get that stuff done when I am back in UK, as haven't had any good advice for anything in this area :o

Nat, i saw them doing foil highlights on the lady in the chair next to me (older farang lady too). hers looked pretty good to me. Can't remember their prices for highlights but found them to be very reasonable compared to a similar kind of salon back home. They are in either Siam center or Siam Discovery Center. Know all about those disaster stories!!!

Boo, thanks for the tip, I may give myself a day off and head to Samui for a haircut, does she do leg waxing too, did you notice? Can't even find the supplies here and am pretty hopeless at doing it myself. Your'e smart to go to the ob/gyn in the UK as I went once and had a towel put over my face! presumably because i would be too embarassed to see what was going on with my body, but instead it just freaked me out! I am American so can't afford to go the dr. when i go home, may give bumrungrad a try when i go to bangkok next.

Mackerel, all this single girl talk on this thread is a bit annoying, isn't it?? what makes people assume we are all desperate for a man? I, personally, am very happily married and know very few single farang girls on this island. But, hey, maybe life in the big city is different!

I'll ask around about the leg waxing for you sbk as there are a few places on Samui that offer the service so I'll see if anyone knows a reliable one. But if not there is a beauty supply shop in Chaweng as well, it's down the road that leads to leamdin market, on the way to reggae pub, they sell everything there & are the main supplies for most of the salons on the island. Heading from the main ring road from lamai, go past the first entrance to chaweng & past the PTT petrol station, take the next right, go straight down & it's on the left about 2-300 yards before the chinese temple on the right and the entrance to leamdim on the left. It's opposite the wood shop, not very clear to see but lots of good stuff & cheap too.

I just came back from Malaysia with a freind who mentioned she had been to a ob/gyn earlier this year, she saw a farang doctor & I think it was at the hospital you mentioned. She went for some advice & said the doctor was a bit dismissive (can't go into her details too much) but that the general service was good & that the pap smear she was given was painless & couln't fault the place. I will double check & let you know. (n.b. if you make an appointment be careful as the gynie & eye doctor have the same name, lots of mix up when she went)

I find it interesting that so many people on the forum can't actually beleive that we girls can have a stable, loving relationship with a Thai guy with out there being some hidden agenda. Either we have to be paying them or providing some kind of benefit to them for them to want to stay with us! Personaly I find it a little offensive to assume that we are all these silly desparate women who have to bribe our guys to stay with us & that we cannot have met in a normal boy meets girl sernario & that, yes, problems have arisen, but we have worked them out like any normal couple. As for the people who come on & slam thai women, I also find it offensive, I have met a large number of thai women, who, whether they work in the local bank or in a lady bar, have proven to be decent people with the same wants & aspirations as the rest of us & just because they (or us) are of a different nationality, look a different way, cannot be worthy (in the minds of some members) to be genuine people worthy of respect. :o Rant over. :D

Bravo, good rant! It's funny, when my husband and I got married many local people asked him why he was marrying a farang as he wasn't poor and didn't need the money! So, you see, those attitudes work in both directions.

thanks for the tip, I will definitely check out the beauty supply store--we have nothing like that over here, they probably buy their stuff in samui. probly won't be until next month, when i have to go back to immigration to check on the status of my visa.

• 3 weeks later...

Girls, Bumrungrad is the best. Been with my wife there when she fell ill in July, and they treated her like the queen. Even made me comfy while I stayed with her for 5 days and nights and even offered me meals. The baby department is really terriffic and when I was looking at these tiny itty bitty creatures just down the hall, they are so lucky to be so cuddled up and comfy in their cribs. They treated my wife superb. The service cannot be beat by a mile, even tho I kept checking my wallet :D but with the insurance saves the day.

By the way Bumrungrad has a specific section that truly does provide the things for women only. It is named Womens Center, and the baby's are on the 6th floor. They were just down the hall where my wife was. It seems this hall was a good half block long. B) You will not find males in this department except husbands who stay with their wives.

Hope this info helps you girls and now I am outta here of the girls forum. Bye

Daveyo :o

I find it interesting that so many people on the forum can't actually beleive that we girls can have a stable, loving relationship with a Thai guy with out there being some hidden agenda. Either we have to be paying them or providing some kind of benefit to them for them to want to stay with us!

Lots of us guys have the same problem. Too many people generalise that any farang guy catching a flight to Bangers must be a sex tourist and any farang guy that lives in Thailand must be a sexpat.

Tomy, are you one of those "guy who don't what to be here, but have to be here"????? So whats holding the guy up???? Did he put some super glue around himself on the bed or what???? Tsk tsk.

I take it you must be a UK due to the slang twang that you post here. Interesting.

Sometimes I have to twitch the horrible itch to read it right. :o

Strange things do happen folks :D

Daveyo

Bumrungrad hospital was like a 5 star hotel. I didn't have an appointment when I went to the women's center there but was seen quickly and attended to in a very professional manner. The equipment and services were state of the art. Actually I have never seen a better medical facility in my experience in western countries. I was very impressed with the hospital and level of service. The prices were quite high for Thailand but probably lower than those of western nations. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised at the high quality. I had a similarly great experience at the Dental hospital in Bangkok as well.

TOMY B) TOMY B) I see you again here...hahaha you run around ,,,why didnt you give any recommends..here?

Me Too B) But But ...ttt B) em girl..Thaichinese Girl..in Bangkok.... B)

Scarlett, you said right,, Bamrungrat Hospital is a classy hospital..all re too expensive there. And Vichaiyuth Hospital also...no any ideas coz you really know how s about the hospitaly, which u said..... :D

SPY.... :o

ok, second question, ob/gyns? anyone have a good recommendation? even bangkok would be ok for this.

sbk- first time on this thread. the posting on step children caught my interest.

anyway, i hope you don't think it is odd for a guy to give you a recommendation but here it is....Mission Hospital. They have 2 doctors there maybe three (I cant remember). I know because my wife delivered our baby there.

Anyway, the cost is 130 baht per visit. Bummingrad is 400 baht. The place is very crowded with patients and the doctors do speak English.

Check it out. Of course the place is not as flashy or 5 starish but the doctors are good.

I find it interesting that so many people on the forum can't actually beleive that we girls can have a stable, loving relationship with a Thai guy with out there being some hidden agenda. Either we have to be paying them or providing some kind of benefit to them for them to want to stay with us!

Lots of us guys have the same problem. Too many people generalise that any farang guy catching a flight to Bangers must be a sex tourist and any farang guy that lives in Thailand must be a sexpat.

B) hehehe.....tizme...if u dont mind can you tell me where re u from?

and as u said..humm how can i say la B) i often saw and heard like that...but it didnt mean..all i meant SOME!!...hehe B)

Anyway, if u re not one of farangs who think as u said....pls dont worry!! Jiii hehe B) opp! :o

Chock dee na ka ...

SPY.... :D

sbk- first time on this thread. the posting on step children caught my interest.
monitorlizard, where on earth did sbk mentioned about step-children? Are you as drunk as I am now? :o
I find it interesting that so many people on the forum can't actually beleive that we girls can have a stable, loving relationship with a Thai guy with out there being some hidden agenda. Either we have to be paying them or providing some kind of benefit to them for them to want to stay with us! Personaly I find it a little offensive to assume that we are all these silly desparate women who have to bribe our guys to stay with us & that we cannot have met in a normal boy meets girl sernario & that, yes, problems have arisen, but we have worked them out like any normal couple. As for the people who come on & slam thai women, I also find it offensive, I have met a large number of thai women, who, whether they work in the local bank or in a lady bar, have proven to be decent people with the same wants & aspirations as the rest of us & just because they (or us) are of a different nationality, look a different way, cannot be worthy (in the minds of some members) to be genuine people worthy of respect.  Rant over. 
Love is like oxygen in life! Who cares about what other people say?

• 2 weeks later...

Boo, finally got to samui to get my hair done, am very pleased, thanks so much for the recommendation. For all future reference: her name is Kitty (spelling something like that), her place is called International Hair Studio, phone 077-230-455. Had a bit of difficulty finding it at first 'cause I told the motorbike taxi it was opposite the calypso diving (which he didn't know) then I mentioned i was going to get my hair cut by the farang lady and he knew who she was immediately. she's been there about 7 years so I guess all the locals know her. funny enough she started living in koh phangan and then moved to samui 7 years ago.

Scarlett, thanks for the bumrungrad ref. I went to the dermatologist there a few years ago and was very impressed. After my very weird experience in surat thani (ban don hospital) I plan on going to bumrungrad or something similar next time. It was all very weird, first it turned out the gynecologists cousin is from phangan (and someone I know fairly well) which, considering how much people talk made me nervous, and then they put a towel over my face. which made me a bit nervous about what was really planned! Sometimes the extra money is worthwhile, and in this case I will be more than happy to pony out a few more baht for peace of mind! monitor, where is mission hospital?

thanks all for the info!

Hi sbk, glad kitty worked out, I hope your new do wasn;t ruined on the boat trip back!. As for the gyny, I only yesterday went to a very great doctor in Nathon for an internal check & smear test, she works at Nathon hospital but holds private practice in Nathon High Street, 7am-8.30, 12pm - 1pm & 5pm-7m. I was asking around the thai & farang ladies here & it seems she is the best that samui has to offer, very competent, spoke excellent english & made me feel very relaxed. Her name is Dr Seamsri, it's a 1st come 1st served basis (no appointments) but as it was my 1st visit I got seen straight away, saw another farang woman in their with a baby who told me she was very happy with this doctor as she had been her pre natal doctor all through her pregnancy & sorted everyone out at the hospital when she went into labour. Dr's number is 077420033. She is located on the main high road, past the big Thai Farmer Bank about 100metres on the other side of the road, near the paper police man & opposite the DTAC phone shop. Hope this helps.

P.s. she arrived at 12, I was seen after a 5min wait & was back on the street by 12.30. very efficient!

Hey Boo,

How much was the exam? Did you get my PM? If not, I'll be heading back on the 19th of January. Spending two days in BKK and then heading straight to Phangan.

My friend and I are going to be hanging on Samui after we make a run down to the boarder around the first week of Feb.