Sony Psp At Pantip

HenryP

I dont know if this is the best deal out there, but I thought some of you might like to know that there is a lady with a big birthmark on her face at the front left corner of the first floor of pantip that sells new PSP's for 11,000 baht. I found them at MBK for 13,000 so this might be a pretty good deal for those out there that want one, but dont have one yet. I myself went looking for games, but all the games are in KataKana :o

I found it for 8300 B at MBK, chipped with 2 controllers and 5 games.. :o

he means the new Sony Handheld not the PS2

I paid 18k for mine the day after the Japanese launch so 11k is good price

I would get one if I were you as I am having a blast with mine... there is also a great program called PSP9 which makes encoding all your divx/xvid video files a cinch. The PSP is also a fantastic media viewer and end up watching my TV eps from the UK & US in taxis on the way home each night

I went into a shop here in Hua Hin that sells electronics and asked if they could order the PSP for me (from Bangkok, of course).

They quoted about 9,500, which is much closed to the actual MSRP.

Should get it in a couple of days.

It's being reported that Sony is apparently experencing QC problems with the PSP, so wherever possible, double check the screen for "dead pixels".

Up to 15% of the units released in US/Canada last week were returned for either screen or mechanical problems, such as game cartridges being ejected across-the-room like bullets. :o

(Pehaps they should include a pair of safety goggles, in each box. :D )

Sorry, really not a laughing matter. Double check any new unit, before giving it to your kids.

It's being reported that Sony is apparently experencing QC problems with the PSP, so wherever possible, double check the screen for "dead pixels".

Up to 15% of the units released in US/Canada last week were returned for either screen or mechanical problems, such as game cartridges being ejected across-the-room like bullets. :o

(Pehaps they should include a pair of safety goggles, in each box.  :D )

Sorry, really not a laughing matter. Double check any new unit, before giving it to your kids.

I sell Sony phones, and about 10% of the phones I get from the manufacturer are faulty in one way or another. (We personally test each one, carefully unwrapping the manufacturer's tag from the packaging so the customer doesn't know how much Sony sucks.)

You would think that a company known for such good quality would do something about this.

It's good when it's good, I suppose.

Edited by thohts

The price is actually 9,950 baht. I'm also getting the Sandisk 1GB Memory Stick PRO Duo for 5,800 from a camera shop.

A good price, as I wouldn't have paid more for the 'bundle'.

I actually don't want the games at all. It also plays movies in any format (with a little hacking) and music, among other things like being able to browse the internet.

Edited by thohts

waldwolf...call me a computer newbie or whatever if u wish...but pls enlighten me HOW to recognize that mentioned dead pixel damage prob. thx a lot!!!

to all the other ones: ebay (europe; uk i don't know) prices currently cruise around euro 300 (Bht 15.000,00) upwards for the value pack version...so tell me, what is YOUR opinion? Buy it here (let's say, Panthip Bht 10.000,00 something and no guarantee) or .... ???

I am thinking of ordering from japan for 250 dollars.I have heard that the european versions have problems with the screen.I remember the super nintendo was 20 percent slower than the japanese version called super famicom so it would not surprise me that when bought in europe the quality is not the same.Aparantly if you buy the japanese version, you can buy games any where and they will work there is no need for them to be chipped.

waldwolf...call me a computer newbie or whatever if u wish...but pls enlighten me HOW to recognize that mentioned dead pixel damage prob. thx a lot!!!......

This may get a little technical, but I'll try to keep it simple.

An LCD display (be it in a flat-panel TV, a computer monitor, or even a telephone) is made up of pixels, with each pixel having 3 lights, each light being controlled by its own transistor. A typical 15 inch LCD display will have 786,432 pixels, controlled by almost 2.5 million transistors (3 x # of pixels= # of transistors).

If one of those transistors is defective, then you may end up with a pixel which does not light up or one which is constantly lit. (Color of a "dead" pixel can be black, white, red, green or blue, however, it will remain unresponsive to commands from the display driver.)

Some LCD display are perfect, with no "dead" pixels, however a large percentage will have 1 or more dead ones. Manufacturers usually include in their warrenty, a statement as to the number of allowable "dead" pixels, before a unity may be returned for warrenty adjustment. Therefore, before purchasing any product with a LCD display, if is adviseable to first check the manufacturers warrenty. One or more "dead" pixels in the center of your display can be very annoying and distractive.

In the case of the new Sony PSP, the owners manual puts it this way:

"Red, blue, or green spots (bright spots) or black spots (dark spots) may appear in certain locations on the LCD screen. The appearance of such spots is a normal occurrence associated with LCD screens and not a sign of malfunction. LCD screens are made using highly precise technology. However, a very small number of dark pixels or continuously lit pixels exist on each screen."
Sony (after receiving a lot of flack about "dead" pixels on the PSP) issued the following statement:
PSP owners who encounter the pixel issue should try the device "for a week or two" to see if it continues to bother them. "If you find the spots are interfering with gameplay/video viewing during this period, we will support the various elements of [the PSP] warranty,"
:D:o:D

If you use a flat-plate LCD as your computer display, check the following link for some test routines, which should aid you in determining how many "dead" pixels you may have. Dead Pixel Tests.

Hope I didn't add to the confusion.

cheers :D

thx a lot for illustrating that possible pixel prob.

and thx a lot for amazon.com - link

now, pls allow me one more question to all TV PS/PS2/XB/GC-users (I promise I won't any further question thenafter... :D ):

one review at amazon.com indicated that: ..."get yourself a good laptop instead and u have all the features a PSP possibly could offer..."

Is that true? I do need to buy a new laptop soon. In case I decide for the laptop deal .... PSP (or any other gaming console) is just a waste of money ??? :o

joinme2leave - Don't worry about asking questions. Things would be quite boring if we all stood around waiting for the rains to come. We all gain knowledge from questions and.........well........most answers. :o

IMHO a computer should be used for computing. Want to play games? Get a PS2, XBox or other game machine. A game machine (especially the ones coming late this year or early next year) will run rings around any current or foreseeable laptop, and the cost for the game machine will be about 10%-20% of the cost of a laptop. Does it make sense to, for example, pay $500-$1500 (US) for a laptop with a DVD player to play music or movies at home, when you can buy a dedicated DVD player for your TV which does a better job, for $50 (US) or less?

Its your hard earned money, so enjoy it, but don't throw it away needlessly. A little homework and investigation will provide the answers to your particular wants and needs.

Enjoy life......Have fun.......Provide for and protect the ones you love. Life is short.

cheers :D

gladly received your encouragement waldwolf. and yes, it is somehow hard earned money - I certainly won't throw (blow) it away needlessly as u say.

I am into gaming just when there is time in between work or when I am really bored (so to say, no woman aside)....which leads me more and more into direction to spend a lil' bit more in a nicely sized new laptop.

This said - madsere - I KNOW about the size difference (I am not that much of a pc dummy).

Nevertheless, I intend to buy a Vaio lp which is - in terms of measurement - quite SMALL size as well...(VGN-T27GP).

Took a look at the PSP this morning. Panthip. First floor left as posted earlier in this thread. Size is incredibly small hence my decision in favor of the new (better) lp seems to be a wise one.

Besides, the today price was Bht 14.000,00 (value pack, japanese version including 1 game free of choice)...

Yikes, I just realized that I made an error in location that might cost some of you guys that dont have one yet a couple thousand baht. In my original post, I said that it was on one's left entering pantip, but it actually is on the far right as one enters. when you go in and prior to the first wall of stalls just walk all the way to the right to the corner stall right next to the bakery. When I went in, the girl that sold it to me charged 11,000 baht with no games, no memory stick, nothing. (I already have memory sticks from my camera) And as it often happens, you can pay by credit card but that add a 3% "charge" to it.

saw it on sale in mbk on the 6th floor with a starting off price of 10500B for the value pack. I dont think anyone has copied the games yet because of the new format so if any are offered, I assume they are originals.

in schipol airport duty free they were selling the value pack for 360 euros with no games. they only had 5 games available for sale at 70 euros each. not seen any in the uk yet.

• 1 month later...

All the Sony PSPs I saw at Pantip had 2 or more dead pixels.

I checked MBK, too. I went to the floor with all of the mobile phone vendors and found a few vendors with PSPs. I believe many of them share the same supplier.

I found a shop on the southernmost side (going away from the BTS line, past the escalators) with at least 2 pixel-perfect PSPs for 10,000 baht. Best price I've seen in BKK.

I am now the happy owner of a (Japanese version, select your own language) PSP.

I also purchased a 1GB memory stick pro duo for 6,400. (Although in Hua Hin I found it for 6,000)

The Sony shop in MBK sells 1GB memory stick pros for about 5,400. I still don't know the difference between the two.

It certainly makes "waiting time" more fun. I watched 2 episodes of Battlestar Galactica as I waited for my girlfriend in the salon yesterday. The picture and sound quality are amazing! I can load music and other audio, movies, and photos. And of course games.

Converting video isn't easy (I use 3GP - a 2 hour movie takes about 40 minutes to convert on a Pentium IV 3.2GHz with 1GB ram. It's best to just do a bunch overnight) but loading MP3s is a snap.

I am now the happy owner of a (Japanese version, select your own language) PSP.

Converting video isn't easy (I use 3GP - a 2 hour movie takes about 40 minutes to convert on a Pentium IV 3.2GHz with 1GB ram. It's best to just do a bunch overnight) but loading MP3s is a snap.

The best program I've found for converting xvid/divx to mp4 is PSP Video 9. it is a FREE program and you can get it at: www.pspvideo9.com

Also do not make the mistake I did and flash the PSP to the latest US Bios. If you are lucky enough to the a PSP with the original 1.00 bios then you can play pirated games and emulators... later bios's had this "feature" removed

(Pehaps they should include a pair of safety goggles, in each box.  :D )

waldwolf, thats not a bug thats a feature. Thats the Texas Hunter and Gunner Edition.