What Media Player For Music Files

withnail

Which media player is everyone using for music files I don't mind Windows MP 10 would be nice if it could display thai file names though.

Just wondered if there was a good one I haven't tried

I use windows media player. I only have one Thai cd on there and it has no problem showing Thai file names.

It depends on your needs.. For audiophile sound (no kmixer resampling)... large libraries.. Lossless encoding.. Multi zone audio solutions.. Etc etc

J Rivers Media Center (formorly Media Jukebox) wins hands down.. However it has a feature set that is not targetting the simple MP3 collector..

I find that windows media player is fine for normal use. Also Power dvd, and real player do the job pretty well. Prolly not the program for real mp3 junkies though.

Win amp is pretty good, but I found that the Thai language pack I kept installing on friends computers had a virus in it that hijacked the home page settings of IE browser. Was a nasty one to remove too.... had to edit registry settings.

You will not be able to display Thai language file names unless you have Thai set to be your default language. Goto control panel/language settings, and find thai - click 'DEFAULT' and reboot.

Making Thai your default language does not mean that windows menus etc.. will be in Thai. In fact you should not really notice that Thai is the default. But you will have fewer font options in your display settings (desktop right-click, properties/appearance) and sometimes, annoyingly, when you install some programs they will automatically have all menus displayed in Thai. The latest copy of power dvd does that for me. They have the option to change to English, but of course you need to read thai to go through the menus and change it. Otherwise you will have to change the default back to english, and then install.

This is the way it is with my W2K installation; I presume it is the same for XP.

I do have Thai fonts installed.

Thanks for the advice Pandit although I have tried fiddling with the language settings in control panel and can't seem to find anything that has made any difference, are you sure I don't require a Thai version of windows?

If not can anybody using XP tell me how to change the default settings?

Thanks,

Withnail

goto control panel/regional options - on the general tab at the bottom select Thai (making sure not to untick the box when you sleect it) then at the very bottom is a SET DEFAULT option. It will ask if you are sure. If you have thai fonts installed already there will be no need to insert the installation disc. Then in the upper part of the dialogue box in the YOUR LOCALE select Thai. Reboot. Should solve your problem (and create new ones) :o

You will not be able to display Thai language file names unless you have Thai set to be your default language.
This is the way it is with my W2K installation; I presume it is the same for XP.

Apparently not. :o

languagemenu30032005120220404x.jpg

Withnail, l'm using Win XP (Service Pack 2), and it's not a Thai version. With XP all the fonts you need come included but you do need to activate them first, it isn't automatic. You wil find help files within XP or using Google if you can't figure it out but l think it's all in Regional Language Options, maybe something else needs to be adjusted in Fonts but l don't think l had to except when l added some non-standard Thai fonts.

XP :o

they moved everything around. You will not need to change the default input language, but will probably have Thai language option and a button to 'SET DEFAULT' somewhere in 'ADVANCED' . For both XP and W2K there is no Thai version like there was for 98 - both use the same windows, but with the language options as additions. If you have installed (selected) Thai you will be able to write thai, but only if it is the default will the file names come up in Thai. I think. At least that's how it is in W2K.

I do have Thai selected as an imput language and have always been able to write in Thai เห็นไหม I've also been into region and language options and changed everything to Thai (which I don't really want to do) to no avail it still shows Thai mp3s in giberish. File names incidentaly are in Thai in explorer just not in the library.

What are you doing that I'm not highwayman?

What are you doing that I'm not highwayman?
Not really sure. I think you just need to kep working through all the options in Regional Languages Options

I've never had a problem with WMP showing Thai or Chinese fonts. On this computer l first had WMP 8 which l upgraded to WMP9 and then to the current WMP10.

The Thai music l have is a mixture of Thai MP3's downloaded from the net and Thai CD's (original and not so original) copied from the CD to my computer. I've been able to edit the Thai titles if need be.

If you have installed (selected) Thai you will be able to write thai, but only if it is the default will the file names come up in Thai.

Just to make it clear, l'm not Thai therefore l do not have Thai installed as the default language, (refer my screenshots).

If l wanted to write anything in Thai l would use a keyboard shortcut to switch over from English to ไทย. You set it up using the Key Settings tab you see in my screenshot. The other option is to use the language toolbar and switch languages that way. These are all options in XP which handles languages a lot better than older versions of Windows such as Win2000.

advancedkeysettings30032005143.jpg

ัี

You refer to the keyboard input language, but that is not what I was talking about. That does not have to be changed, but anyway on W2K also there is a shortcut option for changing the input in the same way as your screen shot above. In W2K you can make Thai the DEFAULT language - nothing to do with the default input language. All the menus and windows dialogues remain in English - you would hardly know that you had changed anything.

Withnail - maybe there are language options in WMP too ??

As far as l can remember, any action to enable regular Thai to be used on this computer was done via Regional Language Options. I was using this computer for a month or two before l set up any Thai options so in WinXP l doubt if it relates to installing Windows, and l've never had to reinstall XP since l first used this computer.

try going to your desktop/right click/properties/Appearance (you have to go in an extra layer here in XP as I recall) and changing all the fonts to microsoft sans serif. That might do it. There are several fonts that do not support Thai and if you are trying to display in one of them that could cause your problems.

In W2K it disables all the fonts that do not support your default language, but maybe XP does not.

:o

Looking at the fonts l have installed l have a couple that might not be Microsoft fonts, DB Thai Text(4 ) and Kodchiang(4). I thought most UPC fonts worked with Thai e.g. Angsana but not sure about that.

I know you can write on Thai Visa using Thai text, but can you open a new Word document and type that in Thai? :D

Other than that l have no more ideas other than to check you have your location as Thailand. There are settings in Play in WMP but l don't think they help your problem.

Good luck.

I guess I will have to go find an XP installation..... but the fonts option is definitely there in desktop properties. I think it is under advanced or customise or some such thing... then you go to the list that has all the icon sizes, destop colour etc... many of the options in that list will have font options.