Security Law To Be Imposed In Thai Capital

webfact

PRO-THAKSIN RALLY

Security law to be imposed in Thai capital

By The Nation

Bangkok's Dusit district will be under internal security laws from Thursday until October 25 to maintain law and order during the mass rallies of red shirted protesters.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Tuesday the ISA will be enforced in Dusit district from October 15 to 25 to maintain order and prevent any unrest and to reassure the safety during Asean Summit to be held in Hua Hin and Cha-am districts from October 23 to 25.

The red shirts plan to rally in Bangkok this Saturday (October 17) and October 24 at the Royal Plaza and then march to Government House. They said they wanted to follow up with Abhisit government their petition asking for a royal pardon for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said earlier that the Monday bombing attempt at the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) was a factor in the government decision to invoke the security measure.

Suthep said the protesters' leaders have not stated clearly that their protest will be peaceful and it could be difficult for the government to control and maintain safety as they usually changed their plan without advance notice.

Suthep said Tuesday an Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) meeting chaired by the premier will be held after the Cabinet approval to outline rules and regulations for the ISA enforcement in Dusit district.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/10/13...cs_30114349.php

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/13

Security law to be imposed in Thai capital

BANGKOK, Oct 13 (TNA) - Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Tuesday that his Cabinet resolved to invoke the Internal Security Act (ISA) in the capital from Thursday to maintain law and order during the planned mass rallies of the anti-government United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) protesters.

The UDD Red Shirts announced their intention to rally in Bangkok on Saturday (October 17) and the following week, Saturday October 24, after their Sunday protest at the Democracy Monument marking the anniversary of the promulgation of the 1997 Constitution abolished by the 2006 coupmakers.

The UDD said that they will gather at the Royal Plaza in Dusit district on Saturday, then march to Government House to pressure the Abhisit government for action, as promised, after the passage of 60 days regarding their petition asking for a royal pardon for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The premier, however, said that the ISA will be enforced in Dusit district October 15-25 to maintain order and prevent any untoward incidents, as well as reassure the safety of country leaders at the 15th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit, scheduled to be held in seaside resorts of Cha-am and Hua Hin October 23.

Mr Suthep who oversees national security earlier said the Monday bombing attempt at the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) was a factor in the government decision to invoke the security measure.

Another reason, Mr Suthep said, is that the so-called Red Shirts have not stated clearly that their protest will be peaceful and it could be difficult for security-concerned agencies to control and maintain safety as the UDD has been known to change its venue without advance notice.

Mr Suthep said an Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) meeting chaired by the premier will be held after the Cabinet approval to outline rules and regulations for the ISA enforcement in Dusit district.

The Cabinet on Tuesday also agreed to extend the Emergency Decree in the three restive south provinces of Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani for another three months, effective from October 20, 2009 through January 19, 2010.

The Cabinet is preparing to revoke martial law in the four districts of Songkla province which is adjacent with three southernmost provinces and to replace it with the ISA, while setting up a complaint centre in the restive south provinces under the supervision of Minister to Prime Minister's Office Sathit Wongnongteoy, to receive complaints from local residents and give opportunity to presumed insurgents to overturn themselves. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/10/13

I am very surprise that these folks still don't get the massage.

A good massage would help everyone relax, indeed.

Their time is OVER. GIVE IT UP

That's what the Red shirts keep telling the Yellow shirts, and that's what the Yellow shirts keep telling the Red shirts. It's not even clear who you are talking about...

I am very surprise that these folks still don't get the massage.

A good massage would help everyone relax, indeed.

Their time is OVER. GIVE IT UP

That's what the Red shirts keep telling the Yellow shirts, and that's what the Yellow shirts keep telling the Red shirts. It's not even clear who you are talking about...

How about...both?

I am very surprise that these folks still don’t get the massage. Their time is OVER. GIVE IT UP

Not sure who is supposed to get what message.

The "Democracy Movement" in Thailand is alive and well and growing daily, as these huge rallies indicate.

Are you suggesting it is time for this Government to subject itself to electoral legitimizing? That their time is up?

I'm confused!

Yes, you are confused since you cannot comprehend that this current government came to be the same way as the previous Thaksin-allied one was.

The same process and therefor electorally legit.

I am very surprise that these folks still don’t get the massage. Their time is OVER. GIVE IT UP

The "Democracy Movement" in Thailand is alive and well and growing daily, as these huge rallies indicate.

Are you suggesting it is time for this Government to subject itself to electoral legitimizing? That their time is up?

I'm confused!

Yes, you are confused since you cannot comprehend that this current government came to be the same way as the previous Thaksin-allied one was.

The same process and therefor electorally legit.

Yes agree with this, strangely on this particular forum we have been told numerous times that the previous governement wasn't legitimate.

Vote buying and all that. Other bullshit reasons, now of course it's all legitmate, just as it was with Samak and co.

Yes agree with this, strangely on this particular forum we have been told numerous times that the previous governement wasn't legitimate.

Vote buying and all that. Other bullshit reasons, now of course it's all legitmate, just as it was with Samak and co.

No, what you have seen is posts highlighting doubts over the election results, but the election process (and the process of forming a government) is the same for both this one and the previous one and therefor red-fans cannot cherry-pick one as legit and not the other for process-reasons.

The misconduct from the elections themselves and their results are handled in other threads and not the subject at hand.

No, what you have seen is posts highlighting doubts over the election results, but the election process (and the process of forming a government) is the same for both this one and the previous one and therefor red-fans cannot cherry-pick one as legit and not the other for process-reasons.

The misconduct from the elections themselves and their results are handled in other threads and not the subject at hand.

So ? If those doubts were there previously (and if I remember they were not only based upon Samak's party, also on coalition partners that form part of the current government) then it is amazing that these doubts miraceously disappeared once Samak and Co were out of the picture.

Same cherry picking if you ask me. I agree it might not be part of this particular thread, but nevertheless good to point out.

Thais seem to respect their justice system, giving it higher confidence than many other institutions.

Regardless - what lingering doubts do you think people have about Democrats cheating in 2007 elections? Doubts regarding remaining PPP MPs?

Thais seem to respect their justice system, giving it higher confidence than many other institutions.

Regardless - what lingering doubts do you think people have about Democrats cheating in 2007 elections? Doubts regarding remaining PPP MPs?

I did not refer to the democrats, but as far as I know they need Newin to uphold their majority.

The fact that Thais respect their justice system, doesn't make it without flaws. If you have any doubts, ask some inmates in the various prisons, and how their courtcase was conducted.

I'm confused!

growing daily????

huge rallies?

Usually the same 2000 Communists if Thaksin pays than the bring in 20.000 people from upcountry.

With the same funds I can make bigger demonstrations for safe the whales pro or contra nuclear power plants.

Most people aren't interested in it anymore, they are just bored.

It wasn't doubts, it was court cases. Doubts may remain, courts cases are cleared.

In countries with a respectable justice system, yes correct. Thailand doesn't have such a thing.

yes with a respectable justice system, people like chalerm //*deleted*//, Samak, Banharn, Newin would be in jail.

In Thailand they could bought their way thru the system. All cases of vote buying TRT, PPP get convicted were so clear that they couldn't even with a lot money they could buy their way out of it.

I have to agree with many posters here, the Abbhisit government was the overwhelming peoples choice in an election victory he won fairly on a landslide of popular support. And also fully agree that only the Reds need to security act applied to them.

I'm confused!

This Government is legitimate and lawfully formed.

And besides, not really doing very bad in the economic world.

This coalition was formed after the demise of the former coalition.

As no party in the house has 51% or more of the seats, a coalition is unavoidable, and probably best for any country to get a consistency in rules.

Besides, the difference between the two biggest parties in the number of votes collected during the last polls, were not really very big.

I know, the coalition idea in a multi party political situation is indeed very difficult to understand for people reared in two-party systems, like the US and the UK

• 1 month later...
I am very surprise that these folks still don't get the massage. Their time is OVER. GIVE IT UP

I'm confused!

This Government is legitimate and lawfully formed.

And besides, not really doing very bad in the economic world.

This coalition was formed after the demise of the former coalition.

As no party in the house has 51% or more of the seats, a coalition is unavoidable, and probably best for any country to get a consistency in rules.

Legitimate ha ha give me a break.

Besides, the difference between the two biggest parties in the number of votes collected during the last polls, were not really very big.

I know, the coalition idea in a multi party political situation is indeed very difficult to understand for people reared in two-party systems, like the US and the UK

you bumped up 1 month old tread.

the last 3 legit, democratically elected governments, were deposed by the military putch and by occupations of airports in the south and in bangkok - the present government was formed by the bribed MP