Doing A Masters In Thailand

TravisThailand

I will try to make this as short as possible. I am a 25 year old American with a degree in Finance from the University of Florida (a decent school in the States). My GPA at graduation was just a tad shy of a 3.0.

I have spent the past year and a half in Thailand. While I was here, I got TEFL certified, taught at a few places, learned to read/write Thai and to speak it quite decently as well. Really, the biggest thing that happened to me was falling in love with this country and the differences in lifestyle it accomodated from what I was used to back in the States.

I just got back to the States a week ago, and realized I need to further my education if I want to enter into the rat race with a job that doesn't make me want to jump headfirst into a drained pool. This is what I am looking for:

- A degree that will allow me to work with an International company in Thailand, making a decent salary (100k B/mth).

- A degree that will be recognized back home, if I decide to go back to the States (my timeline is around 30 years old). I am not as worried about this as long as I have good work experience to back it up.

I have started looking into programs, particularly the ones at Sasin, Chula, and Thammasart. Does anyone have any first-hand experience in graduating from these programs (with a Masters in Business) and in landing jobs locally after that? And if not, does anyone know of friends who have? Is it possible to find a good job with an International Company with a Masters of Business from a Thai University. I have always read that you should get your Masters in the country you would like to live and work in. Is Thailand an exception to the rule?

Am I more likely to find a job like this with a Masters from an American University? I would settle for doing such a thing and could pay for it, but I am just entirely way too bored of the lifestyle that would be afforded to me back home. If any of you have advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

All the Thais with some hope are going the other way... From Chula to a US university...

I suggest you do the same.

Do an MA at a good American university then get a good job in an American company, with global reach, then look to get transfered to Thailand with a 200,000 plus per month salary (your Thai language skills will help :D ).

The best this side of the world is a decent Thammasart degree (your GPA is low for that...) then try to get a 40,000 baht a month salary... :)

Spend as much time as possible, gaining as much experience as possible, in a global leading country before moving to a developing nation!

Good luck.

I can't see any of the Thai degrees being of much use back home.

I know that Malaysia has a University of Nottingham (UK) Campus, That's one of the top 100 universities in the world and the degree is identical to the one you would receive in the UK. Not sure if there are any similar US programs?

All the Thais with some hope are going the other way... From Chula to a US university...

Do an MA at a good American university then get a good job in an American company, with global reach, then look to get transfered to Thailand with a 200,000 plus per month salary (your Thai language skills will help :D ).

The best this side of the world is a decent Thammasart degree (your GPA is low for that...) then try to get a 40,000 baht a month salary... :)

Spend as much time as possible, gaining as much experience as possible, in a global leading country before moving to a developing nation!

Good luck.

I agree with jasreeve17. Go to US school. I am a teacher in a Thai university and have few frds with master degree from different Thai univ. there no comparison between the quality if educating in US and Thailand. Over here ia all about passing people so the money continue to come to the school and lots of cheating. In my classes very few people cares about what I teach and most are there to just get degree and no to learn

not another thread.....please :)

While givenall's comments may be a little on the extreme side, most Thai students from good unis here will work for a couple of years then got to a well known uni to get an MA.

BA in Thailand, yes

MA, probably better to go overseas.

Good luck.

EXCELLENT ADVICE.

The best this side of the world is a decent Thammasart degree (your GPA is low for that...) then try to get a 40,000 baht a month salary... :D

Good luck.

EXCELLENT ADVICE.

+1 :)

Might make sense to do it in Thailand only if you already done all above and just want to formalize your qualifications and knowledge gained while working 10 to 20 years and/or just want to add the "MBA" in your business card. And still i would seriously consider Singapore.

I am currently studying in a master's program at Chula. Although Chula is internationally ranked http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/Rank...009-Top200.html, the program is lacking a little bit. Personally I feel there tends to be a focus on making sure everybody can understand the English, as opposed to the business and economics, which ends up a waste of my time.

Can't really speak on how much weight a degree here would have anywhere else in the world, but the reason I chose this program was because I intend to stay here long term. The truth is any business program anywhere in the world is more about the connections you make and networking opportunities. All accredited schools teach the same stuff, I have a friend studying at Sloan, MIT and he's learning the same stuff that I am, albeit from a much more experienced professor. In the end you only get out of it what you put in to it. I used to know a guy that graduated from Harvard and was working as a pizza delivery guy. :)

There are also many decent MBA degrees available entirely online.

You could move here, sign up for Thai language school to get an E.D. visa and work on your masters and network in your free time.

This link:

http://www.usnews.com/directories/online-e...x_html/cat+mba/

Has a list of 60 schools, with many you've probably heard of, offering online MBA degrees.

Thanks for the help. I have decided not to get my MBA and to get a MAIB instead. (Masters of Arts in International Business). There is a one year (3 semester) program at my Alma Mater, in which one semester can be done overseas (they are partnered with Chula). It is, of course, a bit more expensive then a program in Thailand, but of course I can get US gov't loans if I need them.

Out of all the options available, I think this one is the best for me in terms of future opportunities as well as enjoyment of study (I LOVE college football, and I really like living in Thailand). I will spend another 6 months in Thailand before my enrollment and another 6 months in Thailand during my studies. Hopefully, I can really move my Thai forward in that time and get a worthwile degree out of it as well.

There are also many decent MBA degrees available entirely online.

You could move here, sign up for Thai language school to get an E.D. visa and work on your masters and network in your free time.

Very true. My brother lives in Australia, did his Masters through the Open University and landed a job with a monthly salary of 8000 AUD plus benefits. His previous experience counted the most but the OU cert was the icing on the cake.

I have a friend that received an MBA from Thammasat (uni. of Texas) during the 1998 crisis. He didn't learn so much from the programme but it was the contacts he received that were vital. At the time it was many of the elites of thai society he was studying with. He was able to get a job out of school no problem.

Times have changed a bit in the last decade so not sure how many elite study here now versus the west.

My son got an MBA from Siam university, at the same time he went trough 5 levels of intensive Thai language courses with a lot of Japanese people, no farangs. After that he tried to find a decent job (+100k/month) around Bangkok for 1 year and was NOT successful, despite his excellent networking.

He married his long time TGF, came home 3 months and found a management job here within 1 month despite the economic crises caused by greedy bankers (why these scum are not executed is beyond me). His wife is following required schooling into Flemish language and culture in order to be allowed to stay legally here together with attending local university to enhance her near worthless Thammasat diploma in communications (major English, and her English is excellent as compared to the vast majority of Thais who can not utter more than 5 words) My son now is pursuing a one day/week Master of Masters at the same local university, whilst dealing with Belgian education department to get his Siam Uni MBA certified.

The fee for his Siam MBA was around 400K baht and he ran into trouble with their administration AFTER all the exams and his thesis was finalised, in fact they made him start his thesis anew 3 times, changing subject and in the last weeks refusing to issue his diploma using some idiotic arguments (wanting more money perhaps???) He was the only one of his session to have worked on a thesis and universities do need students who make thesis's. I think he threatened them withdrawing his thesis, whatever.

The quality of sessions was high, Siam flying in professors regularly for a few sessions.

I also think Siam University dropped their MBA program (mismanagement come to mind)

Edited by tartempion

Thanks for the help. I have decided not to get my MBA and to get a MAIB instead. (Masters of Arts in International Business). There is a one year (3 semester) program at my Alma Mater, in which one semester can be done overseas (they are partnered with Chula). It is, of course, a bit more expensive then a program in Thailand, but of course I can get US gov't loans if I need them.

Out of all the options available, I think this one is the best for me in terms of future opportunities as well as enjoyment of study (I LOVE college football, and I really like living in Thailand). I will spend another 6 months in Thailand before my enrollment and another 6 months in Thailand during my studies. Hopefully, I can really move my Thai forward in that time and get a worthwile degree out of it as well.

Very wise, me thinks

- A degree that will allow me to work with an International company in Thailand, making a decent salary (100k B/mth).

Just as an example...I know a 40 year-old Thai guy who has an MBA from Thammasat and works for Coca-Cola...earns 70k.

RAZZ

Im a hr vp for a big american compani and whenever i interview a person with a thai degree i always ask how are the thai girls and throw the resume in the garbage kan

Pity that writing good English and not making stupid assumptions wasn't a requirement of your HR role

Simon

Im a hr vp for a big american compani and whenever i interview a person with a thai degree i always ask how are the thai girls and throw the resume in the garbage kan. :D

A semi-literate Vice-President. :):D:D:D:D Can't spell, can't write, can only troll.

Im a hr vp for a big american compani and whenever i interview a person with a thai degree i always ask how are the thai girls and throw the resume in the garbage kan. :)

Yes, your sister is still hard at work., but she told me to send you "her love.