Large Monitors

Tywais

I'm considering upgrading from my 19" Samsung monitor to a larger one mainly for more screen real estate for my engineering work but it needs to be reasonable for photo editing. Have been reading many articles and reviews and am aware of issues of TN based screens (6-bits versus 8-bits) but some of those issues have been addressed by some manufacturers employing different internal technologies. An S-IPS or S-PVA screen would be nice but probably too expensive and since I do play a game or two, too long of response times.

My current 19" is a Samsung 910T which I believe has an PVA or IPS screen as the clarity and color is outstanding and worried about being disappointed with a TN panel.

On my list of choices now, all are 16:10 - which is better for me as it gives more real estate don't need 16:9 since I don't use it for video. Since none support 1:1 pixel mapping, not sure how much of a problem there will be with games: All are 24" except the T260 at 26" and all 1920x1200.

Samsung T260

Samsung 2494HS

Samsung 2493HM

Probably outside of my budget but S-PVA Panel Samsung 245T. Not sure of pricing but the 275T is 52,000 baht. :)

So, any feedback/recommendations are appreciated. BTW - all the three above are from 12,000 to 14,000 Baht.

This with the T260 is true - it is an old model. If you have a notebook then go to the shop with it and try things you know from your old monitor. I think this is the best way to get a good one for you. And look for dead pixels. Just switch the background for instance to colors like red, black, white if you do not have a tool.

I want to buy a new big one too. Still cannot decide between glossy and not glossy. Glossy is more sharp for text. But the reflections... And I need a big size to show 2 internet pages on one monitor and be able to read the text. I am not sure if a 24" might be enough for this. But this seems to be the format the industry wants to sell.

Just a quick heads up, should you decide to go for the T260 26" monitor, you need to be fast. The Thai distributors are no longer selling that model, so the ones for sale now are most likely the last there are.

Was wondering about that because a friend at work mentioned they may be hard to find. It's also the one he wants. :)

I can't help you about the models you mention, but I just bought a new high-end HP computer, which came with the HP2309m HDMI monitor. To be honest, I thought I wouldn't like it. I thought it would be too big, especially for photo editing. I LOVE IT!

I'm considering upgrading from my 19" Samsung monitor to a larger one mainly for more screen real estate for my engineering work but it needs to be reasonable for photo editing. Have been reading many articles and reviews and am aware of issues of TN based screens (6-bits versus 8-bits) but some of those issues have been addressed by some manufacturers employing different internal technologies. An S-IPS or S-PVA screen would be nice but probably too expensive and since I do play a game or two, too long of response times.

My current 19" is a Samsung 910T which I believe has an PVA or IPS screen as the clarity and color is outstanding and worried about being disappointed with a TN panel.

On my list of choices now, all are 16:10 - which is better for me as it gives more real estate don't need 16:9 since I don't use it for video. Since none support 1:1 pixel mapping, not sure how much of a problem there will be with games: All are 24" except the T260 at 26" and all 1920x1200.

Samsung T260

Samsung 2494HS

Samsung 2493HM

Probably outside of my budget but S-PVA Panel Samsung 245T. Not sure of pricing but the 275T is 52,000 baht. :)

So, any feedback/recommendations are appreciated. BTW - all the three above are from 12,000 to 14,000 Baht.

I have had the Samsung 2693HM for about six months now and greatly enjoy it. Have it on a wall mount at my desk. Perfect for all uses, including gaming (UT3) and watching HD movies (but usually watch those on my HD-TV). Had the 910T before, which is very fine, and this large unit is even better. Price was 14k baht when I bought it. As usual with Samsung, zero dead pixels when acquired and still perfect.

I have had the Samsung 2693HM for about six months now and greatly enjoy it. Have it on a wall mount at my desk.

Thanks for that update. That's the model I've been leaning towards already. How about the adjustable stand? Tilt/rotate/raise OK? Oops, just saw you mention wall mounted. Where did you get the VESA wall mount?

Maybe you can try looking at Dell screens.

They have S-IPS or S-PVA panels

24" U2410 - S-IPS Price - 7,000baht

27" 2709W - S-PVA Price - 2x,xxx

30" 3008WFP -S-IPS Price -5x,xxx

If you need the number let me know.

Spacemunk

Would love to get my hands on a U2410, didn't think Dell sold them here. How/where could I find one (or maybe even two at that price)?

Thanks.

Spacemunk

Would love to get my hands on a U2410, didn't think Dell sold them here. How/where could I find one (or maybe even two at that price)?

Thanks.

PM'd you the phone number.

24" U2410 - S-IPS Price - 7,000baht <--- Not 7,000baht made a mistake

It's call to ask. :) can't really read thai , my bad

I have the 2693 and don't like it. It's got a TN panel which means that the colours change depending on viewing angle. It's so wide that when sitting right in front of it, there is distinct colour change towards the edges.

That's my biggest concern regarding it and the TN panels. 6-bit means only 262k real colors the rest are interpolated versus 16M real colors with 8-bit IPS/PVA panels. Since you are big into photography, imagine you are picky about the colors. :) Will take a look at Dell since I've seen members have positive comments on them before. Didn't look at them yet due to difficulty finding them.

Is it a realistic option just to use a Samsung 32" LCD TV as a Monitor ? They have the connections on the back now that you can hook up to your PC

Just asking as wanted tp upgrade TVs in the House and this 32" New TV would be spare, so thought about the idea of using it with the Comp

Thoughts Please ?

Is it a realistic option just to use a Samsung 32" LCD TV as a Monitor ? They have the connections on the back now that you can hook up to your PC

A few things to consider. Does it have VGA, DVI or HDMI inputs on the TV or only Composite/S-Video? If S-Video, then you need a video card that supports it but the quality will be quite poor compared to the VGA/DVI options. The native resolution of the LCD TV, is it high enough to give a proper image, specifically text? If it is only 1024x920 (assuming wide screen) and that large a screen you may be disappointed.

A few things to consider. Does it have VGA, DVI or HDMI inputs on the TV or only Composite/S-Video? If S-Video, then you need a video card that supports it but the quality will be quite poor compared to the VGA/DVI options. The native resolution of the LCD TV, is it high enough to give a proper image, specifically text? If it is only 1024x920 (assuming wide screen) and that large a screen you may be disappointed.

Not sure, will get it in the Study and plug it in and see, it has a serial port i know, but also many more, so will see what it looks like, thanks for your input

Not sure, will get it in the Study and plug it in and see, it has a serial port i know, but also many more, so will see what it looks like, thanks for your input

Perhaps post the model number and let us give it a shot as to what it can do. A serial port? :)

A while ago you asked about wall mount for monitor. I suggest that you may find that being able to move the monitor and adjust the screen angle is probabky more important for general computer use and CAD. Fixingthe computer montorto the wall may be ok for tv or games. Unless you want to play games or movies or possbly display cad renderings andanimation the refresh time is not to impotant and this can affect the price greatly.

Perhaps post the model number and let us give it a shot as to what it can do. A serial port? :D

Sorry, a PC In Port same as back of your computer where you plug Monitor in :) before the digital ports

its a Samsung LCD 32 LA32A450C1

Sorry, a PC In Port same as back of your computer where you plug Monitor in :) before the digital ports

its a Samsung LCD 32 LA32A450C1

The resolution for that model is 1366 x 768 and from the spec on Samsung website, appears HDMI, S-Video and composite video are supported but see nothing regarding VGA or DVI (standard PC video interfaces). LA32A450C1

I guess it is possible that a Thai version could have one but just look closer at the connector and see if it looks exactly like the one on the PC or like this:

180px-HDMI.socket.png which is a HDMI connector.

If HDMI you need either a video card with HDMI on it or a VGA-HDMI converter like this, which are not cheap.:

180px-DVI-HDMI-Adapter.jpg

If your video card has S-video output then you can use that, but as I mentioned the quality will not be that good for text.

If the connector is exactly like the one on your PC video card, then you will just need a video cable to connect between the two.

If the video card has a DVI video output then you can get a DVI-HDMI cable to connect the two for about 700 - 800 baht.

I've been searching for the T260 this month. Can't find it anywhere in Pantip. Seems the largest one is a 23 inch ... the P2370 ....

Concerning a 32inch to use as a monitor, I would say if it's Full HD, yes. I use my Full HD 40 inch and it's very usable.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes please.