Best Place To Stay At Chiangmai

bomberchia

Hi Guys,

I am an engineer based in Bangkok and I am flying up to Chiangmai for a project. My duration for this project might take at least 2 to 4 weeks to complete.

I was wondering if there are any good, affordable hotels (need not 4 or 5 stars) to stay during this period of time?

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Perhaps give us some idea of your room budget and what area/location you are considering staying. Also, if you have your own transport, will rent a car or need to use local transportation. That will help members give you more informed answers.

From one that travels to Chiang Mai several times a year on business at the elephant camps, there are MANY good places to stay in Chiang Mai but again answer is dependent on your budget and

needs".

I can tell you one thing, just returned from CM last night , DON'T stay at the DeNaga Hotel. What used to be a good 3 star hotel has turned into a nightmare.

Here is the story:

Stayed at De Naga last year but apparently this year went through management change to "The Unique Collection" group. Hotel has gone from nice little place to awful.

We booked a premiere deluxe room and got a good rate from a manager. When we arrived, first room they gave us, bathroom smelled like a sewer. We also got into a bit of a tiff with front desk staff who, when asked about their web stated "Free Mini Bar" policy (quite frankly we were surprised - last year they also had free mini-bar but only water and soda - this year they had sparkling water, Evian and two types of beer - not that we drink beer but I wanted an Evian).

We were told only house water was free - everything else had to be paid for. Well that set a very negative tone - even as they checked with night manger on duty (by phone) who confirmed the confusing policy. This also started a tiff between my Thai staff who was with me and a housekeeping supervisor that had gotten off work but was still hanging out at the front. She complained to my staff that "the foreigner" (me) was just causing trouble (What trouble - we asked about a policy AND reported a sewer smell in our room).

Only thing about our stay (besides their food which is very good) that made me happy was next day we were assured by the hotel General Manager that woman was given a disciplinary warning.

We were moved to another room however in that room, the wooden door between the bathroom and the bedroom was warped and would not close. We asked them to fix it as I did not appreciate my toilet activities being observed by my staff or anyone else that may have been in the room.

They could not fix the door so they offered to show me other similar rooms to change to. I reluctantly agreed only to have the first two rooms I was shown still have feces in the toilet. Yes, you read correctly.

At that point I was exasperated. If it were not late night we would have walked out.

Minor problem but problem non-the-less in this non-secure world: security at the hotel is very lax. Doors lock but safety chain can easily be broken as well as locks picked.

Next day, after talking with Mr. Limprasutr, the hotel manager about all the problems we decided to book a car (for 200 Baht) from their tour desk to take us to the airport. The car arrives and after we load our bags in the car, my staff opens the drivers passenger side of the car only to find a woman sitting there.

Ugh, safety rule number one, never get in a car where there is more than just the driver - man or woman. Point number 2, when I hire a car to take me from point A to point B - it is "my" hire car" - no one else should be in it except for those I invite.

We decided to take a tuk-tuk instead (80 Baht to airport).

Folks, teach these people a lesson, DON"T STAY at De Naga!. I had to pay to teach them how to have their staff treat guests as VALUED guests and how management should handle customer problems.

Maybe the new management group will get the message and bring back the old De Naga that I remember.

And one last thing, if you go to a buffet where you pay one price and everything is "free" on the buffet line - that means EVERYTHING is free not some dishes are free and you have to pay for others.

Unique Collection Group, stop being so lazy (or is it cheap) and change what it says on the web site if you don't mean it OR clarify with a table top sign on top of each fridge in the rooms your "Free Mini Bar" policy.

See, they really should pay me for training.

Hi Guys,

I am an engineer based in Bangkok and I am flying up to Chiangmai for a project. My duration for this project might take at least 2 to 4 weeks to complete.

I was wondering if there are any good, affordable hotels (need not 4 or 5 stars) to stay during this period of time?

Hey scott_cos,

Thanks for your long review of that place. It seems to me that hotel is definitely a No-No because I will be having my Managing director staying at the hotel. It will definitely not pay for me to go through all that experiences just because I have a project up there man. Have to thank you alot for sharing your experiences.

Tywais, my project is based at Lampang Rd. U-Mong District. So in order to save costs, my hotel should be somewhere near the area or around it. (I believe the hotel/motel is about 1 hour away or so.) My budget is about 700B to 1,200B. Of course if there are places that are cheaper yet as good, I don't mind too. My internet is very important because we have to check our mails and liaise with our principals in Australia and United States.

For transport, will probably get the guys from the company to fetch us to and fro. Will work out something over there I believe.

Hope to hear from you soon. Greatly appreciate your advice!

i would go for the suriwongse on loi kroh or if you want to go up market a little the centara duntawan (didnt check the spelling of either0

many of my friends stay at both and give good reports. very central so can get taxis and tuk tuks everywhere

Hi Guys,

The im-eco hotel on bom rung rat is an exceptional hotel and quite cheap. The pool is very nice and the environment/atmosphere of the place is wonderful and relaxing. It is my first recommendation.

In August we stayed at the Chiang Mai Gate Hotel and highly recommend it. Here is their website: www.chiangmaigatehotel.com

I have stayed at the Chiang Mai Gate hotel many times and would also recommend it. It has a pool, a lounge and a small bar. The prices fit within the parameters of the OP. Room price includes morning buffet that is okay, but not fantastic. The hotel is just outside the inner moat area and about two blocks from the moat.

From one that travels to Chiang Mai several times a year on business at the elephant camps, there are MANY good places to stay in Chiang Mai but again answer is dependent on your budget and

needs".

I can tell you one thing, just returned from CM last night , DON'T stay at the DeNaga Hotel. What used to be a good 3 star hotel has turned into a nightmare.

Here is the story:

You sound like an extremely difficult and demanding guest. You probably don't tip either.

Edited by elektrified

needs".

Here is the story:

You sound like an extremely difficult and demanding guest. You probably don't tip either.

I do tip and I guess I was wrong to be asked to be given another room since mine smelled like a sewer. I guess I should have taken the room at the De Naga that had feces in the toilet.

Hey buddy - get a room!