Abhisit Sacks Former Police Chief Pol Gen Patcharawat

george

PM sacks Pol Gen Patcharawat

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva dismissed former Police Chief Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan.

Patcharawat was seconded to be attached to PM's Office before reaching his retirement.

The dismissal was retroactive.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-10-16

I'm just curious what will he do attached to PM's office. Another inactive position created to wast taxpayers money ...

Pity on him. And why not award that to Anupong too! for incompetency and doing nothing last October. neglected Khao Praviharn border protection, and southern unrest. :)

I'm just curious what will he do attached to PM's office. Another inactive position created to wast taxpayers money ...

Pity on him. And why not award that to Anupong too! for incompetency and doing nothing last October. neglected Khao Praviharn border protection, and southern unrest. :)

A Wiseman said; keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer :D

A pretty interesting series of events. I have no idea of what has been going on with the drama surrounding Police Chief Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan --- whose elder brother is the current Defence Minister.

All the back and forth seems surreal when you consider that his retirement is imminent. He would have been gone next month.

PM Abahsit confirmed his appointment as chief of police despite (and after) it had been recommended he be charged with murder. Only a few months later --- all of this unfolds ----

there could be a TV mini-series here!

I don't think he had the power before to deny big brothers wishes,

but now he does, and the fact little bro is in the docket with some big fish too.

There goes the pension... he should have bowed out before, the Damoclesian sword fell,

AND he totally pissing off the boss just before his retirement....

Here I am confused again, I don't see the logic. The P.M. Sacks the Chief who has already retired??? How do you fire a person that is not actively employed?????

It states it was retroactive. Which means his current dismissal was effective before his retirement even though he is retired. :) Guess the knock on effect is he loses pay between the retroactive date and retirement date and perhaps effect on his pension. Bit confusing indeed.

Should have sacked the guy weeks/months ago, but wasn't politically plausible because of the power politics which takes up all of politicians' time when they're not away at golf courses, visiting mia nois, or consorting with palm readers in Chiang Mai.

Another inactive posting? This is getting ridiculous and paints the Thai bureaucracy as the Keystone cops of governments.

The term 'inactive post' first surfaced when America's FBI wanted to get rid of an agent, and would send him to Fargo North Dakota in February, or something like that. Thailand copies so much of American ways, that it also copied the silly habit of 'inactive posts.'

Similar to 'suing for defamation of character' (which it also learned from America), Thailand has to over-do it. Come on Thailand, be original. And when you do copy America, copy its best attributes (scientific breakthroughs, jazz, national parks) instead of its worst.

Here I am confused again, I don't see the logic. The P.M. Sacks the Chief who has already retired??? How do you fire a person that is not actively employed?????

Also, in many countries personnel whose career has been in public safety (police, firefighters and the like) and national security (the military) retire but technically remain at their retirement rank and can be recalled at any time as the law may allow/require, such as a state of national emergency. The recall of such retired personnel isn't necessarily automatic or requried, but can be done indefinitly or for a defined period of time and can be done either selectively or wholesale - again, within the law.

Technically Patcharawat would not be on any actively serving list and he likely would be paid from a retirement account, but nonetheless would be subject to any recall to active status by the government or, in the instance of some outstanding active duty charge, indictment or suspected wrongdoing, ordinarily would be subject to any personnel action the government might deem appropriate and which would be consistent with due process of law.

I suspect this is the route Abhisit has taken as the legal basis of his decision and action.

In the the point made about 'inactive' postings, the term is not used in the US. The FBI under Hoover was high profile so if some agent in Hoover's doghouse were sent to such a godforsaken place as Fargo ND during January, he'd be put to work but would have to dig through a heap of snow and ice each moring and evening to come and go. It's like the old threat in the US military that if you screw up doing such and such assignment you'll find yourself in charge of a remote station of the Alaska radar command.

Edited by Publicus

And write daily, detailed reports on all the doings at said Alaskan radar Station.

In WWI, The Aleutian Islands off Alaska towards Russia was considered as bad as

you could get for a hardship punishment tour of duty.

Islands-of-4-Mountains.jpg

And inactive post is one that is not being used to tie traitors to before their shot.

Edited by animatic

And write daily, detailed reports on all the doings at said Alaskan radar Station.

And inactive post is one that is not being used to tie traitors to before their shot.

Being marginally topical (at best) but nonetheless in the matter of inactive posts, if we look hard enuff we can see the recently resigned governor of Alaska Sarah Palin deeply dug in while ever vigilantly on the lookout for the Russians. :)

Being marginally topical (at best) but nonetheless in the matter of inactive posts, if we look hard enuff we can see the recently resigned governor of Alaska Sarah Palin deeply dug in while ever vigilantly on the lookout for the Russians. :)

Looks like a good spot to open my cryogenics lab. Shucks, I'd have to hire a security guard to watch out for Sarah Palin flying around with a shotgun, hopefully not out on a hunting trip with Dick Cheney.

Overheard on Late Night TV: "Pres. Obama will try to find time to go and pick up his Nobel Peace Prize, when he's not too busy fighting two wars in the Mideast."

he that looks beautiful I would love to stay there!

(But I guess not much night life)