Accord Or Camry ?

Maigo6

Saw this red ferrari on Samui the other day... :)

Might have been the same one I beat easily away from the traffic lights in my Fortuner !

Mind you, the Ferrari was on the back of a flatbed truck being transported to Bangkok for repair after breaking down yet again. :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The range of electric power matters because the idea is to be able to run only electric in city, not polluting. But more range cost more batteries giving higher weight and reduced trunksize.

As long as it saves fuel comparing to the non-hybrid model it pollutes less - what does it matter? Surely it could save more and pollute less, maybe the next generation. What is there to worry about?

Camry Hybrid is actually rather lazy running only petrolengine whithout the electric power. wonder how it works overtaking in 150 kmh and running out of batteries?

It wasn't designed to overtake at 150km/h, it wasn't designed to perform on highways - hybrid is a system for city stop and go traffic, and if it accelerates great at 80km/h when you see a free lane, it's doing its job, and saving environment. I would love to have that kind of car in Thailand, I don't care about highway driving, Bangkok Chonburi motorway at 150km/h takes only about half an hour, and I spend more than two hours in Bangkok traffic almost every day, and it's not all crawling, there are stretches where I hit 120, albeit only for a few seconds.

Instant power surge from electric motors for these occasions is what I really need.

For me it is the Camry 2.0G.

what is the hp for that car?

145 HP.

thats ok, the accord 2.0 has 156. so probably not much difference between the two.

If maximum HP is a significant issue, the honda civic would be a better buy - same HP and much lighter.

The new 180HP accord - at least it has the HP to deal with its weight.

If maximum HP is a significant issue, the honda civic would be a better buy - same HP and much lighter.

The new 180HP accord - at least it has the HP to deal with its weight.

My 2.0 Accord deals with it's own weight very well. I had the 2.0 civic and that was a great car as well, the reason I changed is because the civic had no room for my growing family. The accord is large enough and more than comfortable. Also the engine is powerfull enough for the car. 0 to 100 kph in 10.7 seconds is not that slow and only 1 second faster than the 2.0 Civic. For 200k more in cost you get a he'll of a lot more car. I am very happy with it.

ive had 3 Accords from new back in NZ as company cars

2 were the 2.3 ltr and were quite zippy (1994 & 97)

the later model one 2.4ltr (2000) was underpowered as the car was bigger, was hard on brakes as well

the V6 was always the choice engine for that size car

since then in NZ (2003) they have released an Accord Euro, which looks, goes and handles well

they have the Thai made Accord as well but only as a V6

For about 600'k or below, i recomment to buy a Toyota Crown, 1998 to 2000, much better and solider car, they have 2 liter or 3 liter models, both 6 cylinder and RWD. RWD cars are much stronger and last almost forever. Easy to replace the engine if get some troubles. Not expensive to run, much more confortable. FWD 4 cylinder have all this little vibration during the idle speed. 6 cylinder RWD cars don't.

I agree wholeheartedly with stingray about the virtues of a 6 cylinder and RWD (if available).

Everybody is different, but I really regret not selecting a V6 in my car, but they are very expensive when ordering in a new car here. However when buying a used vehicle I believe the V6 is greatly discounted and becomes more affordable. Yes, I of course like the economy of the four but greatly miss the smoothness, significantly better low end torque, and enhanced silence of the V design and extra two cylinders. It seems my trans is constantly downshifting upon the smallest of accelerator movement to make up for being underpowered (in my opinion) of the four. It almost seems like I am driving a toy car around.

I have a Corolla, but for a car the size of an Accord or Camry, I would definitely recommend the V6 to avoid the prevailing feeling of being underpowered. IMHO.

Many of us expats do not drive much, so even if the V6 is thirstier (not always by much), the extra few baht per tankful could be well worth it – but it is a highly personal engine choice preference.

For about 600'k or below, i recomment to buy a Toyota Crown, 1998 to 2000, much better and solider car, they have 2 liter or 3 liter models, both 6 cylinder and RWD. RWD cars are much stronger and last almost forever. Easy to replace the engine if get some troubles. Not expensive to run, much more confortable. FWD 4 cylinder have all this little vibration during the idle speed. 6 cylinder RWD cars don't.

I agree wholeheartedly with stingray about the virtues of a 6 cylinder and RWD (if available).

Everybody is different, but I really regret not selecting a V6 in my car, but they are very expensive when ordering in a new car here. However when buying a used vehicle I believe the V6 is greatly discounted and becomes more affordable. Yes, I of course like the economy of the four but greatly miss the smoothness, significantly better low end torque, and enhanced silence of the V design and extra two cylinders. It seems my trans is constantly downshifting upon the smallest of accelerator movement to make up for being underpowered (in my opinion) of the four. It almost seems like I am driving a toy car around.

I have a Corolla, but for a car the size of an Accord or Camry, I would definitely recommend the V6 to avoid the prevailing feeling of being underpowered. IMHO.

Many of us expats do not drive much, so even if the V6 is thirstier (not always by much), the extra few baht per tankful could be well worth it – but it is a highly personal engine choice preference.

Both Camry and Accord charge approx 1,2 mill baht extra for the V6 over the 2,4 fourpot. No other difference to the cars. Tax reasons. Still recommend V6?

Both Camry and Accord charge approx 1,2 mill baht extra for the V6 over the 2,4 fourpot. No other difference to the cars. Tax reasons. Still recommend V6?

I believe the OP clearly stated he was considering a USED Accord or Camry, so in his case, yes, I would still recommend a V6 due (as stated) to them being more affordable used. In my case, I am only regretful I was not in a financial position which would have allowed me to purchase the V6 which was my preference. I agree. Bloody expensive, that extra 1.2 mill baht!

the later model one 2.4ltr (2000) was underpowered as the car was bigger, was hard on brakes as well

since then in NZ (2003) they have released an Accord Euro, which looks, goes and handles well

for another 1.2 million baht you can have a 3.5 V6 but that's all you get. Same brakes and they just about stop the 2.0 liter. If I could afford it I would get the bigger engine but I can't. The 2.0 is a very good car that handles well and the engines copes well with the size of the car.

Saw this red ferrari on Samui the other day... :)

Might have been the same one I beat easily away from the traffic lights in my Fortuner !

Mind you, the Ferrari was on the back of a flatbed truck being transported to Bangkok for repair after breaking down yet again. :D

It's where they belong to!

It's what I thought - regarding Road condition's and the heat...

Imagine just driving this thing at low tide on one of the ferries!

Does Joe Cummings still ride the yellow one around CNX?

Well, but then it's almost as good as having a nice Coffee at star_ucks!

Edited by Samuian

That is not a question, Honda Accord ofcourse...

Since the Vigo era all models of Toyota look and drive like crap.

Toyota Camry has got no class, it's for middleclass braggers with a small penis who pretend to be upperclass. It's just big but inside it looks so cheap !

Honda Accord has got class, just keep it modest and forget that 3 liter version (unless you have a small penis)

In the US I have a 2009 Toyota Camry 2.4L XLE that is plenty powerful for my daily 40 mile commute on mostly highway miles. My wife drives a 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan that has served us well. In Thailand we have a 2005 Toyota Vios. It is kept in the country where we drive many highway miles.

I like both Honda and Toyota vehicles, but the reason we got a Toyota in Thailand was because they are less expensive to service and (I believe) they are made locally making them a better value. We find that having a smaller car in Thailand is actually an advantage. This summer, my wife drove with 11 people in the Vios. In the US, we are limited to carrying 8 people in the minivan (because of seat belt laws).

If I were you, I would buy a smaller, less expensive new car than buy a used car. Used cars in Thailand are overpriced IMHO.

Edited by donx

Just so i can get myself ready for next week Maigo, any clues as to what we'll be comparing then?

On a serious note, what exactly is your budget? You said that for the same money as a City you can get a great Camry or Acccord - are we talking then at about 600k?

Because what i have seen used in terms of Camrys and Accords, i really think a figure nearer to 800k is what you'll be looking at for something nice.

I note you chaps are mentioning prices (as above) but I see no reference to... age, mileage (KM) service history, etc ... those are the factors on which car prices are based, I recently went to a showroom of both Honda and Toyota re: purchase of top range Accord, and top range Camry, offering my existing top range Camry as part exchange, my present Camry is five years old, 39,000 KM, well maintained, with 100% service history, the offered price was 700K. thus a potential second hand buyer will have to pay in the region of say 800K this represents good value for the buyer (not the seller) since the car performs the same as when it was new, and I paid 1,650K for it, thus buying a used top range car Accord / Camry in good condition with low mileage, represents good value compared to the showroom price.

I looked as both cars (top of range Accord & Camry) and they are both recommendable but the final purchase decision is a personal matter, I would go for a new Camry again simply because I find the cabin interior, seats, dashboard etc ... more elegant/posh and thus more suitable for gentlemen.

for another 1.2 million baht you can have a 3.5 V6 but that's all you get. Same brakes and they just about stop the 2.0 liter. If I could afford it I would get the bigger engine but I can't. The 2.0 is a very good car that handles well and the engines copes well with the size of the car.

i cant comment on the latest accord as i havent driven one, but by reading here, it goes better than the 2000 model. 1.2 million is way too much extra to spend for a 6 pot.

You probably could get a performance chip for yr 2.4ltr, but not sure what extra power boost you would get from it

in any case, you are happy with yr car, and that is all that matters :)

That is not a question, Honda Accord ofcourse...

Since the Vigo era all models of Toyota look and drive like crap.

Toyota Camry has got no class, it's for middleclass braggers with a small penis who pretend to be upperclass. It's just big but inside it looks so cheap !

Honda Accord has got class, just keep it modest and forget that 3 liter version (unless you have a small penis)

:)

We find that having a smaller car in Thailand is actually an advantage. This summer, my wife drove with 11 people in the Vios. In the US, we are limited to carrying 8 people in the minivan (because of seat belt laws).

11 in a Vios? :)

where were they going to? anorexic convention?

I note you chaps are mentioning prices (as above) but I see no reference to... age, mileage (KM) service history, etc ... those are the factors on which car prices are based

That's true but those factors are not being discussed because the discussion is about the merits in general of two models, not the merits of two specific cars.

We find that having a smaller car in Thailand is actually an advantage. This summer, my wife drove with 11 people in the Vios. In the US, we are limited to carrying 8 people in the minivan (because of seat belt laws).

11 in a Vios? :D

thats nothing! I saw about 25 Pakistanis getting out of a fiat 126 in Southall west London once. :)

11 in a Vios? :)

My wife drove. Her Cousin and the cousin's husband sat in the front passenger seat with a 1 year old and a 4 year old. In the back were three big kids ages 8 - 14 with three smaller kids ages 3 - 6 on their laps. They drove to a waterfall about 10 - 15 kilometers from my in-law's house.

Both the accord and camry are different cars. The camry is a rider's car. It's big, soft, under powered but the very roomy inside. The accord is more of a driver's car but less roomy, more noisy and harsher sportier ride than the camry but much more sporty and more zip. Both are ok, I don't recommend the Nissan cerfiro or teana. My father couldn't get rid of his fast enough.

Both the accord and camry are different cars. The camry is a rider's car. It's big, soft, under powered but the very roomy inside. The accord is more of a driver's car but less roomy, more noisy and harsher sportier ride than the camry but much more sporty and more zip. Both are ok, I don't recommend the Nissan cerfiro or teana. My father couldn't get rid of his fast enough.

I used to have a 2007 Camry and have presently a 2008 Accord. Accord has longer wheelbase giving more space inside in a bigger car.

Camry has too much wind-noise at high speed and Accord has too much roadnoise, but the general noise level is the same.

OP is looking for a secondhand car, and Nissan Teanas are really inexpensive secondhand. Like 20-30 % less than Camry/Accord.

11 in a Vios? :D

:):D:D

If it was one of those local mini-pickup truck tuk tuks, they could have had 42 in there:

7 in the front cabin, 10 per row of seats inside (which includes a middle row) so that is another 30, and 5 more hanging off the back.

So the V6 Camry is 2.8MTB and the extra money is only for the engine? I always assumed that the interior was plusher. If you notice, many posters are saying that the 2.4 Camry, comparatively, lacks power, while Toyota are selling a 2.4V Alphard - now THAT must be sluggish!

I used to have a 2007 Camry and have presently a 2008 Accord. Accord has longer wheelbase giving more space inside in a bigger car.

Camry has too much wind-noise at high speed and Accord has too much roadnoise, but the general noise level is the same.

OP is looking for a secondhand car, and Nissan Teanas are really inexpensive secondhand. Like 20-30 % less than Camry/Accord.

I noticed the wind noise on the camry and the road noise on the accord too. The accord I always thought it was just bad tires or lack of insulation. My friends camry had the same problem with wind noise. He took it to the dealer and they siad it was normal. Not sure where the noise was coming from or what was the cause.