Bill Gates Owes Me One Year Of My Life

Familyonthemove

I reckon that since first using Windows in the 1990's I've wasted at least a year of my life looking at a windows egg timer or a 'not responding' message. Now I'm plagued by endless updates to Vista.

I'm just about to leave the office in the evening and looking forward to going home but when I try to switch off the laptop I get the message; 'Installing 15 updates, do not switch off, do not disconnect, do not go home to your wife, sit and wait 'till I've finished installing the patches to the cr@p system I released half finished'

Then when I next turn on the lap-top the screen layout has changed and there's some new compatibility problem with the hardware.

Will the world come to an end if I switch off Windows updates?

Is Windows 7 any better, or is that another half developed heap of dung?

Reckon if you've got a good firewall and antivirus installed then the "security vunerability" windows updates aren't so important.

I've had updates switched off for a while now, never had much of a problem. Seems to be a lot of hot air or windows getting you to install stuff that isn't really needed.

Malicious Software Removal Tool, hrmphhh.

Genuine Installed Software Checker, :)

The list goes on...

I reckon that since first using Windows in the 1990's I've wasted at least a year of my life looking at a windows egg timer or a 'not responding' message. Now I'm plagued by endless updates to Vista.

I'm just about to leave the office in the evening and looking forward to going home but when I try to switch off the laptop I get the message; 'Installing 15 updates, do not switch off, do not disconnect, do not go home to your wife, sit and wait 'till I've finished installing the patches to the cr@p system I released half finished'

Then when I next turn on the lap-top the screen layout has changed and there's some new compatibility problem with the hardware.

Will the world come to an end if I switch off Windows updates?

Is Windows 7 any better, or is that another half developed heap of dung?

You can set Automatic Updates to notify you when updates are available. This will allow you to choose which updates to download and install at your convenience. This is the best option, IMO.

I don't recommend switching off Automatic Updates, unless you're prepared to update your computer manually at regular intervals.

Reckon if you've got a good firewall and antivirus installed then the "security vunerability" windows updates aren't so important.

I've had updates switched off for a while now, never had much of a problem. Seems to be a lot of hot air or windows getting you to install stuff that isn't really needed.

The list goes on...

While I agree to a certain extent, security vulnerabilities rated 'critical' are of the utmost importance and should always be installed - no questions asked.

Edited by Supernova

If you use the automatic updates, you can still use the computer while it is downloading and installing them. It hasn't caused me any inconvenience other than a slow shutdown when it is finishing the installation.

Hi Familyonthemove

You say your using Vista ??

Sorry I don't understand your problem ?

You can set the time, I have mine set at 07:00 so when there are automatic updates [like this morning] I am told about them between 7 - 7:30 am, then get a box appear asking it I want to restart in 3 mins or click the drop down menu and there are options of 30 mins, 1 hour or 4 hours.. So normally click on 4 hours, then later shut down.

The list goes on...

Depends on what you use your computer for and what you have on it.

Have a friend who swears by millenium, works on if it aint broke dont fix it.

Told me its easier and faster to do an f disc and load everything back on again if he ever gets a problem, which is rare.

Agree with the poster above, have updates switched off for a couple of years and touch wood so far no problems.

The list goes on...

Told me its easier and faster to do an f disc and load everything back on again if he ever gets a problem, which is rare.

Agree with the poster above, have updates switched off for a couple of years and touch wood so far no problems.

The list goes on...

Bloody right mate.... yesterday installed . three "important".@#$%^&..g updates and then my GPRS/Edge would not open..MS tells me maybe the updates caused the problem..went back to pre update restore point..all ok again..

TURNED OFF the @%^ ..g updates..enough already.!!! ...if it ain't broke...

Has anyone noted the file size of these updates ...seems MS continues to overlay script on script leaving tons of "old" unused script in their OS...geez no wonder we need bigger and bigger HDs! Maybe time to switch back to a Mac..totally different architecture..

Just got this message. this minute..<deleted> Bill!

post-36430-1255827125_thumb.jpg

Edited by David006

Before some of you folks decide to leave your computers unpatched, let me cite one very good example why critical updates are necessary.

Back in November 2008, the Conficker worm was unleashed, putting millions of Windows PCs worldwide at risk of infection. I'm sure most people have heard of Conficker and the damage it can cause.

From Wikipedia:

Although Microsoft released an emergency out-of-band patch on October 23, 2008 to close the vulnerability, a large number of Windows PCs (estimated at 30%) remained unpatched as late as January 2009. A second variant of the worm, discovered in December 2008, added the ability to propagate over LANs through removable media and network shares. Researchers believe that these were decisive factors in allowing the worm to propagate quickly: by January 2009, the estimated number of infected computers ranged from almost 9 million to 15 million.

In my line of work, I've seen a fair share of computers infected with Conficker. As a matter of fact, just last week while making my rounds, I came across a small office network where all 20 machines were infected with Win32/Conficker.A. As it turns out, these machines have not been patched since mid-2008. Go figure...

But hey, do whatever you want with your computer... I can only share with you my experiences from working in the field.

Is there a way to prevent the automatic reboots that accompany updates? It drives me nuts because it often kills my VPN/remote access.

Disable system auto restart after installing Windows updates

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

Copy and paste to Notepad, save file with .reg extension (filename.reg). Double-click on saved file to import to registry.

Note: You must restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Edited by Supernova

^ Spend $29.95 on what? :)
For RegCure, a program that 'cures' my 731 registry errors
PB google is your friend, try this.

http://www.regcure.com/

I like the bit at the bottom, free download.

Happy downloading.

Been there twice now. Only the scan is free. Fixing the registry errors cost $29.95. I never asked about registry errors. I wanted Windows updates. Thanks anyway.

^ Spend $29.95 on what? :)
For RegCure, a program that 'cures' my 731 registry errors
PB google is your friend, try this.

http://www.regcure.com/

I like the bit at the bottom, free download.

Happy downloading.

Been there twice now. Only the scan is free. Fixing the registry errors cost $29.95. I never asked about registry errors. I wanted Windows updates. Thanks anyway.

A lot of the free stuff uses this scam. You can get a free registry cleaner from;

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/

Download one called Free Registry Cleaner. It works great and they DON'T try to scam you.

A lot of the free stuff uses this scam. You can get a free registry cleaner from;

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/

Download one called Free Registry Cleaner. It works great and they DON'T try to scam you.

Thanks Gary. Something checked 900 trillion files but not sure if errors fixed, Other download is still downloading.

Try this PB. www.iobit.com Windows Advanced System Care (Free Version). That's the one I use. I haven't installed the free IObit 360 as I don't know how to disable the Google bar it wants to install. If anyone knows I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks.

Edited by lannarebirth