Live Music

maccaroni man

i have a friend coming to town who is a bit of a rocker and would like to see a live band. Is there a place in the suk area that is not too smokey, loud, and safe for a couple of old timers.

Hillary Bar 2 on Sukhumvit Soi 4 is pretty good for live music. I notice that they have Sek Loso (Thai rock legend) playing there on Nov 20th if your friends about then.

Then there is 'Bangkok Rocks' which is located on Sukhumvit Soi 19. I've yet to make it here as yet so I can't comment.

There's also The Rock Pub. Now this is not on Sukhumvit, but it's only a short taxi or sky train ride away, very close to the Ratchathewi Sky train station on the Phayathai road...now this place really does rock and the bands are very good IMO.

I think Country Road bar on Soi Cowboy has a regular live band too.

I'm sure others will be able to add more.

Edited by thecatman

Its not on SUK but the Rockhouse is at the BTS stop after Siam Square (Ratchathewi stop). Just come out of the BTS and is staight down the stairs.

Now its a good laugh you should enjoy it, live band starts around 10 and beside it is about a dozen nice bars that hi-so go to when they are slumming. Its good fun but if you dont like it, its only 60bt taxi back to Nana or back on the BTS skytrain.

Its not on SUK but the Rockhouse is at the BTS stop after Siam Square (Ratchathewi stop). Just come out of the BTS and is staight down the stairs.

Now its a good laugh you should enjoy it, live band starts around 10 and beside it is about a dozen nice bars that hi-so go to when they are slumming. Its good fun but if you dont like it, its only 60bt taxi back to Nana or back on the BTS skytrain.

I think you mean the same place I mentioned seank. The Rock Pub (not The Rockhouse) but please do correct me if there's another venue of a similar name (I'd hate to be missing out).

i have a friend coming to town who is a bit of a rocker and would like to see a live band. Is there a place in the suk area that is not too smokey, loud, and safe for a couple of old timers.

thanks to all i have a friend checking all the spots out, plenty of recon for him to do :)

Bangkok Rocks on Soi 19 is OK but everytime I've been it's the same band with the same set list ("Hot Legs"?...oh it must 10:15)

Why not The Saxophone? It's not Sukhumvit (Victory Monument) but it's easily reached by BTS.

Bangkok Rocks is crap...no atmosphere due to almost no customers. Friday night at 10pm and there were about 4 customers in the place when I went a few weeks ago. I think the female singer in the band used to sing at Titanium (face looks familiar anyway). Much more fun at suk 7/1 the place on right hand side as you enter soi. At least there there is a decent crowd and atmosphere.

Not in the Sukhumvit area, but Ad Here the 13th blues bar has awesome blues and guitar-based rock. Try to catch Georgia, Thai blues singer, when she's in town. Samsen Road, right across the street from soi 2. (Near the Banglamphu Canal.)

By the way, what's with Bangkok Gig Guide??? They're still listing Tokyo Joes's on Soi 24, but as far as I know it's been closed for a year. Their website remains disabled Or is the joint back in action?

And, even worse, they're still listing Santika with (I'm not making this up) "The Burn Band."

Not in the Sukhumvit area, but Ad Here the 13th blues bar has awesome blues and guitar-based rock. Try to catch Georgia, Thai blues singer, when she's in town. Samsen Road, right across the street from soi 2. (Near the Banglamphu Canal.)

By the way, what's with Bangkok Gig Guide??? They're still listing Tokyo Joes's on Soi 24, but as far as I know it's been closed for a year. Their website remains disabled Or is the joint back in action?

And, even worse, they're still listing Santika with (I'm not making this up) "The Burn Band."

Tokyo Joes is still closed. When I hear anything at all it will be posted!!!

Well, according to Bangkok Gig Guide, "Stone Head" is performing there tonight, Sunday October 25, from 9 to 1AM. Do you think Bangkok Gig Guide is working on some kind of automatic pilot? I notice "Gig of the Week" features "Latest News - 8th September 2006." ????

Bangkok Rocks on Soi 19 is OK but everytime I've been it's the same band with the same set list ("Hot Legs"?...oh it must 10:15)

Why not The Saxophone? It's not Sukhumvit (Victory Monument) but it's easily reached by BTS.

Bangkok Rocks is crap...no atmosphere due to almost no customers. Friday night at 10pm and there were about 4 customers in the place when I went a few weeks ago. I think the female singer in the band used to sing at Titanium (face looks familiar anyway). Much more fun at suk 7/1 the place on right hand side as you enter soi. At least there there is a decent crowd and atmosphere.

I have to disagree with you about Bangkok Rocks. I was invited to a birthday party there and was surprised to see how nice of a venue it was. The place is beautiful inside and the band I saw was pretty good(Thai womens singing who has a very soulful voice). The music was good, two levels, owner is a really cool Brit named Billy. If I disliked anything it was that the toilets were too small. They posted our birthday party pics on their Facebook page. I only walked maybe five minutes from Asok BTS to get there on Soi 19.

Does anyone know if the tickets to see Loso need be bought in advance?

I'll probably get mine in advance (from Hillary Bar 2), but the last 2 times I've seen Loso there, there have been tickets available on the night (if you get there early enough) which you have to do anyway as the place gets packed. Normally around 500Bt a ticket.

I have to disagree with you about Bangkok Rocks. I was invited to a birthday party there and was surprised to see how nice of a venue it was. The place is beautiful inside and the band I saw was pretty good(Thai womens singing who has a very soulful voice). The music was good, two levels, owner is a really cool Brit named Billy. If I disliked anything it was that the toilets were too small. They posted our birthday party pics on their Facebook page. I only walked maybe five minutes from Asok BTS to get there on Soi 19.

Dont get me wrong, the venue is all very nice and clean and shiny and staff attentive, just absolutely no atmosphere due to not enough punters, so unless you go with a large group (as you may have), then I would advise going somewhere that is busier on a regular basis. I have been there twice now and both times it was dead even though it was a weekend.

Does anyone know if the tickets to see Loso need be bought in advance?

I'll probably get mine in advance (from Hillary Bar 2), but the last 2 times I've seen Loso there, there have been tickets available on the night (if you get there early enough) which you have to do anyway as the place gets packed. Normally around 500Bt a ticket.

Thanks. Loso puts on a great show