Pigeons

First let me say that I have never subscribed to the ‘Flying Rat’ theory, to me Pigeons have always been just another bird. Until now that is. I have them nesting in the eaves but thankfully not inside the roof, they also sit on the Ridge all day. The noise is driving me crazy. I have no near neighbours so it is only me that suffers.

Anyone any ideas of how i get rid of these pests? I tried an Air Rifle to no avail; i couldn’t hit a barn door from the inside. It would be difficult but possible to block entrance to the nesting areas but how do i stop them just sitting on the roof?

I considered poison but have 3 dogs and i wonder if by chance they decided to eat a dead Pigeon would they be poisoned too? I also don’t particularly want to kill ‘innocent’ birds.

This is a serious request, these things are mini-monsters. How do i get rid of them?

They are persistent creatures to say the least. I have resorted to using the water hose and spraying them with water where they roost at night to drive them out as well as banging on the eaves with a long bamboo pole when it's dark and get a little satisfaction to see them fly into the adjoining house wall. In the day time I tap on the metal gutters to frighten them away. Persistence pays off, they are now leary of my house and don't roost on either of my nieghbor's eaves where I can see them. Also, if they have nested, fix a hook to the bamboo and pull their nest down. Wife hates them too, but doesn't like the idea of killing an innocent creature. I have heard of the use of fake owls to keep them at bay, but they are not readily available here.

Try looking up Bird-x on the internet and find out if their bird spikes are available in yur area. Glue them down in the roosting areas and in a day or so the birds will be gone. You might need to place them in any other shady areas where the birds might relocate to but they are very efficent at getting the pigeons to find another place to sit.

I bought one of those guns that fires plastic pellets. After a few days they got the message. Seriously we had about 20 of them and all disappeared, although there is one persistent pair that tries their luck after about a week.

You have to hit the more stubborn ones but it doesn't hurt them. I used to shoot a lot , they are pretty large easy targets.

Dog loves it, soon as she sees a gun she goes into "retriever mode". Must be in the genes!

I have two minor birds that live somewhere around the eves of my house, they hate pigeons with a passion and chase them away. Any pigeons that dare land in the garden get chased off by my cats so between them the roof stays very clear of these very messy birds.

Thank you all. Funnily enough it's not so much the mess they make, i can live with that, it's the noise, being as i live in a bungalow.

I did consider a cat or 2, but it's not feasable due to owning a husky who's only ambition in life is to kill and eat anything that moves, unfortunately he can't get on the roof though.

Have already got the hook made, and will check out the owls and the bird-x. Thank you all for the helpful advice.

here we have some kind of foamy sticky spray that u spray on roofs and such that the birds hate.

unfortunately, we have had a rapidly expanding family of pigeons nesting on a closet on my porch with their shit that the dogs love to eat (liliee's nick name is 'khin khee') , the noise every morning at feeding time, the nest material and worst of all, a few of them became tame enough that they would be on my porch and inadvertantly walk in to my house and the dogs didnt care (well, we had hand raised doves in teh house before so that could be it also, the dogs learned not to attack birds on sofas)... previously, i got thai guys to come and slingshot them. but anon is more buddhist and wont slaughter animals and also wont remove fertile eggs, or babies that still cant fly. so each pair of pigeons would lay and raise their young while the tohers already were mature so we couldnt move the nest. this past week i pulled a 'me or them' fit; a day later the open area was fenced up, cleaned up and sprayed for mites and stuff. the birds moved to the roof, and to the neighbor's rain gutter. now its the kibbutz's problem to deal with them any way they like....as for the foamy stuff, it cost too much so anon didnt want to buy it. the last can was a legacy from my ex...

bina

israel

• 1 month later...
Try looking up Bird-x on the internet and find out if their bird spikes are available in yur area. Glue them down in the roosting areas and in a day or so the birds will be gone. You might need to place them in any other shady areas where the birds might relocate to but they are very efficent at getting the pigeons to find another place to sit.

Bird-X also make a Electronic Bird Repeller which uses ultrasonic frequencies to drive the birds away. Not sure if either are available in Thailand - but you can order on amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem a while ago and ran a thread on TV. I got lots of useful advice and in the end I found WD-40 to do the trick. Spray it where they sit a few times over a couple of weeks and that was the end of them. They now sit at the back where I can't reach but that better than crapping on the balcony.