Thaipassport For American Kid

Hi my Thai friend kids both have an American passport based on they were born in the USA and have American father,they entered Thailand with American passport.Both kids go to school here in Thailand,and have a Thai ID card,both kids have to report every 90days at immigration.Now my friend wants to get a Thai passport for both kids so they don't have to report anymore.My thinking is after they got their Thai passport,they should travel out with American passport,for example to Penang,then when come back to Thailand just use the Thai passport to enter Thailand.Is my thinking correct,or if not then how to do?

Thanks in advance for any help

If the children are both Thai and US citizens ( born in US), they can get a Thai birth certificate. It's all I need at Thai Immigration. Maybe one day those computers at Immigration, will be actually able to access a database related to the job.

only thing to add is that when they return to Thailand on the Thai passport a slightly clueless immigration officer may question as to why they didn't 'exit' thailand on the Thai passports.

Explain the situation honestly, given they were born in the USA and they need to enter Thailand as a Thai citizen who is born overseas, so it is impossible ti have an exit stamp from thailand!

If they refuse, simply ask to speak to their supervisor and politely INSIST that the children be stamped into Thailand on the Thai passports, as is their right.

I give it about a 1% chance of it happening, as others have reported on this site that similar things have happened to them. Simply stand your ground, and you'll be fine.

If the children are both Thai and US citizens ( born in US), they can get a Thai birth certificate. It's all I need at Thai Immigration. Maybe one day those computers at Immigration, will be actually able to access a database related to the job.

Hi thanks for reply,could u please explain a bit more?

Hi thanks for reply,could u please explain a bit more?

After our son was born, we went to the Thai Embassy ( we were still living in the states at the time), and had a Thai Birth Certficate made for him. They were very, nice and it was easy. I don't know your location, US or Thailand. I would think if you are here in Thailand, you may need to have your child's Birth Certificate translated, then you would have to go to the Amphur. You should go there and ask first maybe. Also, my son always used his US passport when entering the states and vise versa. Never had a problem with it.

After our son was born, we went to the Thai Embassy ( we were still living in the states at the time), and had a Thai Birth Certficate made for him. They were very, nice and it was easy. I don't know your location, US or Thailand. I would think if you are here in Thailand, you may need to have your child's Birth Certificate translated, then you would have to go to the Amphur. You should go there and ask first maybe. Also, my son always used his US passport when entering the states and vise versa. Never had a problem with it.

The kids have thai id cards so one could assume birth certificates etc have been taken care of and they are listed in tabien baan.

Visit MFA in Chaeng Wattana or your nearest government office issuing thai passports and with the Thai ID's it should not take more than 30mins to have the aplication submitted and photos taken. Better to take tabien baan with you along with copies of everything.

At least MFA in BKK is good and fast. Takes ab 15 mins when they do the aplication. Tell them first thing that you want the pp delivered to your home by EMS. It costs few baht and pp's arrive within a week.

Edit: once passports obtained follow Samran's advice to get them to enter with Thai passports.

Other possible option is to apply overseas at thai embassy but not really viable unless the kids will go for longer holidays in US etc.

Edited by MJo

The kids have thai id cards so one could assume birth certificates etc have been taken care of and they are listed in tabien baan.

Visit MFA in Chaeng Wattana or your nearest government office issuing thai passports and with the Thai ID's it should not take more than 30mins to have the aplication submitted and photos taken. Better to take tabien baan with you along with copies of everything.

At least MFA in BKK is good and fast. Takes ab 15 mins when they do the aplication. Tell them first thing that you want the pp delivered to your home by EMS. It costs few baht and pp's arrive within a week.

Edit: once passports obtained follow Samran's advice to get them to enter with Thai passports.

Other possible option is to apply overseas at thai embassy but not really viable unless the kids will go for longer holidays in US etc.

Ok thanks alot,well guess we try get the passport here in thailand and then they fly to Penang or anywhere,ok thanks for all replies

For thai peoples only have Thai ID card can apply a passport just go to Thai consular , changwattana road for apply and will take only 1 or 2 hours will finish all process and if the kids 's mother is Thai she should know that ! and if the kids have Thai ID then they are Thai who holding 2 citizenship when travel out of USA (or back to us)use US passport and when come to(or departure) Thailand use Thai passport but have to hold 2 passport every travel time btw if a thai national who hold foreigner passport (dont have thai passport) can apply reentry-or relative visiting at airport immigration then can stay for 365 days.

Since both children have a Thai ID-card, they both have a Thai birth certificate and are registered in soemone's houhold book. They can just apply for a Thai passport, there are several ofices in Thailand where you can do that, leave the country on their US passport and re-enter on their Thai passport.