I'll Write You A Small Custom Computer Program For Free

ThailandLovr

If anybody has the need for a small computer program to be written, let me know. No charge. I need something to do with my unlimited free time.

One example simple program might be one which accepts some numbers then performs a specific calculation. Just provide the algorithm or formula.

PM me if interested.

Hmmm are you familiair with PHP etc as I might have something for you to occupy your time with ...

W

Thanks a lot for the consideration W. Actually I was thinking about writing something in C++ being the dinosaur I am <red faced>. I have written HTML code but never used PHP. It may be a bit too new-tech for me unless whatever you need doing is something basic that a tech assist could do, like editing, etc.

If you are familiar with C++, then PHP is not a far stretch - in fact it is a lot simpler on a syntax level. Since you have a lot of time on your hand, why not delve into the newer technologies out there such as .net (C# being my favourite) for Windows apps or ASP/ PHP/ Java for web-based apps?

If you are familiar with C++, then PHP is not a far stretch - in fact it is a lot simpler on a syntax level. Since you have a lot of time on your hand, why not delve into the newer technologies out there such as .net (C# being my favourite) for Windows apps or ASP/ PHP/ Java for web-based apps?

Oh man, I'm not sure if the old noggin is up to the ASP type or web-based stuff. You may have seen my post on the "first computer" thread, I'm the guy who used to program in 8K on a DEC PDP-8 using Fortran II :D . When I was younger there wasn't any language I couldn't rapidly learn. I even designed and wrote my own compiler in college (any of you other oldies remember Cheathams's Algorithm?) but these days I am a shadow of my former self :D . (Although twice the size! :) )

It may be a good idea picking up C# for the fun of it.

Regards, and thanks for the reply.

emsfeld has a good idea - I doubt you'd have too much trouble settling in given your past, ThailandLovr.

Why not Google around for tutorials, or even order a book from Amazon? (or go to Kinokuniya at Siam Paragon, or the bookstore at Chula - half-decent selections there...)

Very charitable of you to offer your time anyhow :)

It's really not that difficult - unless when you refer to C++ you really mean the C-style programming paradigm (e.g. procedural rather than object-oriented). Then you'd have to catch up a bit.

C# is a great and easy language to learn. At least programming basic console and forms apps can be picked up on very quickly. The syntax will remind you a lot of C++ with a few differences (eg memory is managed by .net which removes the need for pointers - you also wont have to release/free memory yourself any longer).

Where it becomes more difficult is to design your apps in a way that make them easily scalable and reusable, but I dont think this will concern you much.