Tip To Share: Flexible Date Airline Airfare Search Engine

gosompoi

I've used this site before, if you are booking from outside the US be sure to change BOS to BKK or SIN (or wherever you plan on flying from) in the sales city field

And be aware that they don't show the promotional prices that some local airlines offer for web only bookings.

I thought I would share this flexible flight search engine. You can search all airlines over a flexible date range to find the the lowest ticket fare. This is the search engine behind many commercial websites but without their limitations.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch

or

http://matrix2.itasoftware.com/

engjoy!

I wouldn't rely on this software.

It appears to list some airlines more favorably than others.

In the example I just tested the matrix shows flights for a prominent Airline I frequently use as being $4,000 dearer than the favored one it lists.

Going directly to the website of the airline I normally use for the same flight dates yielded comparable prices to the matrix's best with only 2 a hour stopover as an advantage.

If I select the flight the matrix suggests I'd have an overnight stopover & more hours in the air.

I'd definitely find out who flies between my departure & arrival cities & make the website of each of these carriers my favorite.

I fly EVA from YVR to BKK. The only flights shown on ITA had a stopover in SEA then TPE. When booking via travel agent or online, I am able to fly direct YVR to TPE.

FWIW it may be OK for price comparison, but I would check further.

But thanks for the link. You can't have too much info.

I dont get it , why not just use a company like Lastminute.com?

No details needed

:)

Information is always good to have....and not everybody knows what exact dates they will be able to travel. So it's good to see what the possibilities are. Also there are those who don't want to have a specified return day....but want to keep it flexible.

What I would like to know is if there are any "open return" tickets .....good for a year or more like they once used to sell. I understand they are still possible, but you must pay a premium fare for a ticket like that.

Sometimes "the cheapest way" is not a bargain if it limits your choices later.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I thought I would share this flexible flight search engine. You can search all airlines over a flexible date range to find the the lowest ticket fare. This is the search engine behind many commercial websites but without their limitations.

or

engjoy!

This is great to find a broad search area. I like it!

Thanks OP. Always happy to look at alternatives. I tried your suggestion, on a departure from PER (Perth, Australia) to BKK (Bangkok, Thailand) return on 07 March 2010, returning a week later on 14 March 2010.

Your search engine gave the best price as $AU825 on Malaysian Airlines.

I use Sky Scanner - similar - but much easier to use. Put in your departure and arrival points and when you want to travel. If you have a flexible schedule, you can check flights on a particular date, for the month or whole year. Plus, get your ticketing price in your local currency.

As a bonus, once you have selected the airfare, there's a link to take you to your preferred airline's website to book and pay for the tickets.

Two final points:

1. The OP's suggestion does NOT mention budget airlines (like Tiger Airways or Air Asia).

2. My price from Sky Scanner for PER to BKK return: $AU325 !!!! About a quarter to half the price for a trip from Perth to the Gold Coast!!! No wonder Australians prefer to holiday overseas!

Peter

internet is fine to get a ballpark...but your best source, ALWAYS, is a knowledgeable travel agent in your departure country. they have fare deals, especially for international travel, that are NOT on any websites (airline or search).

let your travel agent know you already researched the fare and see what they can do......

I dont get it , why not just use a company like Lastminute.com?

No details needed

:)

Information is always good to have....and not everybody knows what exact dates they will be able to travel. So it's good to see what the possibilities are. Also there are those who don't want to have a specified return day....but want to keep it flexible.

What I would like to know is if there are any "open return" tickets .....good for a year or more like they once used to sell. I understand they are still possible, but you must pay a premium fare for a ticket like that.

Sometimes "the cheapest way" is not a bargain if it limits your choices later.

:D

Gotcha,but there is a tad too much going on for me, I use Lastminute as a first search , you can click on "flexible dates" and a matrix of fares appear then the airline shows when you put the cursor on it.

Kayak has some good info also, like a fare history and last cheapest price graph.

Dohop

Just as good, also has hotels.

How do you figure? Is there a way to search without being date specific? OP shows an entire month at a whack.

I live in Bangkok so I don't need a month. I know when my visa will expire.

All these websites are good to compare with others, never use just one.

Sky Scanner - Airasia BKK-SGN return ฿5500

Airasia website:- BKK-SGN return ฿3750

When I looked for a flight from Phuket to Germany this search engine only shows Lufthansa not Berlin Air, meanwhile the second biggest airline in Germany. When I fly from Phuket I always use Berlin Air as it has a direct flight to Germany, no stop over in BKK. And I have 30 kg luggage (for a stay of more than 28 days)

or

engjoy!

matrix1 is ok but very annoying its not possible to set the trip length at 5 weeks. To me it seems like a beta version with much room for improvement.

matrix2 isn't there.