National Holidays

garycm

Having a cleaner is more of a status symbol than anything else, as for the holidays - yes you should only give the major days, and depending on the situation we would require them to work (office staff not domestics) if there was custom and allow them to add it to annual vacation time (again a generous act).

First of all I think it is absolute nonsense to say that having a a cleaner is more of a status symbol. Maybe I forgot to mention that my staff gets vacations too and health insurance. I like to be a fair boss by any standard, Thai or western. Oh, and I tip in bars and restaurants too, yes i am a crazy to much spending lunatic!

I'd also like to let all you distinguished gentlemen out there know that it is never too late to alter your world views. For instance, not all wives are 100% responsible for cleaning the house. You can help as well

Are you mad? Next you'll be wanting me to help with the laundry! :)

If it were me, I would give them 2 days off a week PLUS at least 13 public holiday as is the law. I get these 13 days off, 6 paid vacation (what the difference given the amount of pay anyway).

You would quickly have the piss taken out of you. Start giving extra days off, paying over the odds etc, and you'll set in the worker's mind that they are above their station and will more than likely end up with an inefficient/useless helper. Sounds backward but that's how it is and applying Western values doesn't work.

I personally wouldn't hire a cleaner anywhere in the world even if rich. Wouldn't like a stranger under my feet for one thing, plus me & her in doors can clean the house just fine... but each to their own.