Afternoon Ride On A Kawasaki Z1000

rooster80

Dear Riders,

Just thought I'd share a nice ride last Sunday.

The Bike was a friends Z1000, he wants to sell it and let me have it for the weekend to see what I thought.

I always had a sweet spot for naked 4s. And the Zs are one of my favorite model.

I'm trying to decide what bike to get and the most obvious choice would be the Er6N but just feel its a bit small. I know it packs a decent punch, but can't seem to fall for it.

Plus the sound of a 4 cylinder bike is something special.

post-43057-1256288867_thumb.jpg

The low and mid range punch is just awesome! You can stay in 6th gear from 30 to 200kph+.

The last bike I took out was a Honda 900Hornet. Drove it from Phuket to Samui and back over a long weekend last month.

That was a great ride, but the smooth engine and clutch on the z1000 puts it in a whole other league.

Kawasaki just released the 2010 version of the z1000. But doubt Kawasaki Thailand will bring it on the market here.

But wish they had! It looks even better and they kept those awesome quad pipes!

post-43057-1256289410_thumb.jpg

For you riders in Phuket, PangNga has some absolutely amazing road to ride! Have you driven highway 4 from Tung Maprao just before Kao Lak, and over to PangNga town?

What a beautiful road with some amazing scenery! Its like it was designed for bikes. The whole province is filled with great little roads with lots of twists and turns.

You could easily do a weeks worth of riding and still find new roads every time.

post-43057-1256290014_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, have a great weekend guys!

post-43057-1256290485_thumb.jpg

Edited by rooster80

Hehe, I realize now it looks like an ad.

Its not.

I'm still considering breaking the piggy bank and getting it.

It's only got 9300km on the clock and is in slightly better condition than the one standing outside HKT motors. That one used to be in Hua Hin. I know because I called on it already back then.

It used to have 9500km on the clock as well! Someone keeps driving it i guess.... :D

I'm surprised you're saying 400K they keep telling me 450k with book! I've been in there several times and they've stayed firm at 450K... (350 without book. Bike doesn't have one yet.)

Old owner in Hua Hin wanted to sell because he's getting into riding tracks and wanted a ZX or something super sport...

This bike I rode is starting at 450K as well...

A new one costs around 550K to import yourself...

Too bad about the Thai emissions!!! I'd sleep alot better, knowing I got service, warranty and spareparts all over the country for next to nothing!

That's what I love about the ER6N/650R...

dam_n Emissions. It shouldn't be too crazy priced ether if they'd took them in... :)

Take care

Edited by rooster80

i have driven the road, turned around, driven it again, then turned back again and continued on. more fun than mere mortals should be allowed to have. view aint bad either.

Edited by t.s

I'm surprised you're saying 400K they keep telling me 450k with book! I've been in there several times and they've stayed firm at 450K... (350 without book. Bike doesn't have one yet.) BIG RED FLAG THERE! Beware, depending on what province you're in it's getting a lot more difficult to buy a pass for the emissions test...

A new one costs around 550K to import yourself... Before any imported bike can be registered it must pass the Thai emissions test which is similar to, but not identical to EURO 3. Before anyone spends big money importing a bike make sure you have a connection that can guarantee a pass for you.

The new 2010 Z1000 looks fantastic!

2010-Z1000.jpg

Unfortunately it seems it can't pass Thai emissions so Kawasaki is not going to import it... :)

And we all know how strict Thai emission tests are don't we?

Those old buses and trucks must spend a fortune maintaining their engines!

Good photos - I wish I had a mate like this!

Beware - the lack of a book is a show stopper for me. You can read up on this, there is something pinned here as well.

A local bike shop o n l y sells big bikes without license: www.siambigbike.co.th and it is annoying to

read prices, then learn the book will be extra. The prices quoted for books

are all over the place :) I wouldn't go for the 35,000 Baht option, or do you want a recucled KSR 150 2-stroke book for your Z-1000?

Thanks for sharing that good street.

Chris

There is a really nice 2008 Z1000 for sale at HKT motors in Phuket. 1500km/s for 400,000 baht.

Is the the place I know as phuket superbike ?? The one opposite the shell station ??

I know they had a z1000 outside there the other day when I went past.

The new 2010 Z1000 looks fantastic!

2010-Z1000.jpg

Unfortunately it seems it can't pass Thai emissions so Kawasaki is not going to import it... :)

Ohh thats the first time I have seen that !! Stunning..

I think I like that more than the Duci fighter !! Love how the front end lights sits a little lower and all the styling lines and angles work, fitting those with the sharp belly pan (am in the process of getting a belly pan for the blade). Very visually appealing shape to me.

Krazy as it may seem my local Kwaka dealer still had a new 2008 model in Lime Green on the floor! He told me it was the last one available in green in all of Australia. And I could have it for the ridiculous price of Au$13,000 ride away. I could hardly contain my laughter. Did the idiot really think I was that stupid? But if he had of said Au$10,000......guess who would be riding a Lime Green Z1000 now!

Ps: That was back in June. it maybe gone now.

Edited by BSJ

Rooster, how heavy is the Z1000? Did you feel its weight when cornering?

The only four I ever rode was a Yamaha Diversion 600. Sweet engine

and with a more acceptable power to weight ratio for me.

What makes you opt for the 1000?

Brute power on these , well, unpredictable streets is not everything.

Cheers,

Chris

Cheers,

Chris

I cant comment for the OP but I will say tho, that the power is kind of addictive.. I didnt think I wanted it, but now I have it, if the weight is still acceptable, I know I like it.

I havent ridden a z1000 But I have ridden a few superports (position gets me, I like the more upright stance) and am learning (slowly) how to settle in on my blade.. The (old) blade is supposed to be good for 130hp so I think I read very close to the z1000 listed and far down on the 150 - 170 hp of a modern supersport. If that is the case its not so much the bhp, but the great gobs of tourque, that solid wall of power that kind of gets addictive.. I find myself cruising and then enjoying the surge of power I can add, even when already at pace, just at will. Its like the feeling of having it and not needing it.

Or put another way, when your on a slower bike theres times your at full bore, and your riding the bike hard to the max, but with that much more power its kind of the opposite you have to always be holding it back, riding to the most of the road and conditions not the most of the machine.

Of course with that comes the secondary issue, that you are quite able to screw up and leave the road in ways that you wont on a smaller bike, a smaller machine you can lay on a handful of badly considered power and often it wont bite you for it, theres more forgiveness. Lay on a handful of badly times power on a bigger bore and goodbye traction. I am still very nervous of that issue, doubly so as when I got it the tyres were hard and spinning the rear was as easy as opening it up, kind of a riding on ice feeling. I am still not totally comfortable on the blade but I also appreciate that, not taking anything for granted should hopefully keep it shiny side up.

So bigger bore streetfighters, with the upright stance, and not too heavy a weight penalty like a big tourer, thats where my appeal is currently.

I think I like that more than the Duci fighter !!
From what I've seen of the Ducati Streetfighter...well...it looks kinda wierd but Ducatisti are having a Streetfighter Launch Party this Saturday and as I haven't seen the bike in person, I'll get some pics. Edited by RusticCharm

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris, that's the thing, you hardly feel the weight at all. It feels so easy to drive and corner. I've spent a lot of time on Honda CB400s, cause they're everywhere here in LOS, and they feel so much heavier.

The midrange pull is just awesome! Looking down a long straight, twisting the throttle to max and by the time you look down on you speedometer, your well over 200kph already. Doesn't take more than a few seconds.

But with great power comes great responsibility... With a bike so easy to manuver, you have to really be careful, it easy to corner too fast and you have no idea how many trucks are doing overtakes in YOUR lane around the bend...

The 2010 model has got a completely new engine, so its not just a detuned zx10 any more. I prefer the black colourscheme though...

It's a bit too much with white, orange and black.

And it's a lot of money....

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris, that's the thing, you hardly feel the weight at all. It feels so easy to drive and corner. I've spent a lot of time on Honda CB400s, cause they're everywhere here in LOS, and they feel so much heavier.

The midrange pull is just awesome! Looking down a long straight, twisting the throttle to max and by the time you look down on you speedometer, your well over 200kph already. Doesn't take more than a few seconds.

But with great power comes great responsibility... With a bike so easy to manuver, you have to really be careful, it easy to corner too fast and you have no idea how many trucks are doing overtakes in YOUR lane around the bend...

The 2010 model has got a completely new engine, so its not just a detuned zx10 any more. I prefer the black colourscheme though...

It's a bit too much with white, orange and black.

And it's a lot of money....

The old model has the ZX9R engine, the new 2010 model got the detuned ZX10R engine.

Hehe, I realize now it looks like an ad.

Its not.

I'm still considering breaking the piggy bank and getting it.

It's only got 9300km on the clock and is in slightly better condition than the one standing outside HKT motors. That one used to be in Hua Hin. I know because I called on it already back then.

It used to have 9500km on the clock as well! Someone keeps driving it i guess.... :D

I'm surprised you're saying 400K they keep telling me 450k with book! I've been in there several times and they've stayed firm at 450K... (350 without book. Bike doesn't have one yet.)

Old owner in Hua Hin wanted to sell because he's getting into riding tracks and wanted a ZX or something super sport...

This bike I rode is starting at 450K as well...

A new one costs around 550K to import yourself...

Too bad about the Thai emissions!!! I'd sleep alot better, knowing I got service, warranty and spareparts all over the country for next to nothing!

That's what I love about the ER6N/650R...

dam_n Emissions. It shouldn't be too crazy priced ether if they'd took them in... :)

Take care

You know I may have those numbers all screwed up...I was getting it all in Thai. I thought that's what he said.