Sunflowers In Mae Hong Son

elephantkungfu

Hey,

Does anyone know when the sunflowers will be in bloom this year in Mae Hong Son? I know its around november time every year, but don't know the dates this year.

I have never been, but thinking of taking the car this year, and doing a weekend trip...

Where's the best place to go? And is there any decent accomodation nearby? I can budget for around 1000 baht a night...

Any advice much appreciated!

The Sunflowers bloom at Mae U-Khor Forest Park, approximately 24 kms from Khun Yuam.

If you have a GT Rider Mae Hong Son Loop map the place is clearly shown on the map, east of Khun Yuam.

The Thais like to camp out there for the experience.

The "nearest best accommodation" is in Khun Yuam at Ban Farang. Telephone 053622086 & 081386081.

At a wild guess I’d say mid-late November should be the time to go. But check with Ban Farang or the TAT in Mae Hong Son. It all depends on the weather = when the rain stops & the sun stays out & the flowers bloom.

Sometimes the flowers are blooming & a late heavy rainstorm hits & wipes out all the petals & bye bye sunflowers, so that when you arrive there is not much left to see.

I was at Ban Farang a couple of weeks ago - ok, it was off season. There are no farangs or English-speaking people on staff, you can only communicate in Thai. They were making faces when I asked about the restaurant (it was open but they couldn't be arsed to actually cook), and they were generally very very unhelpful, one of my worst experiences in Thailand in 8 years.

They may get their act together for the high season, but I was wondering, why do they bother.

The thing is, I guess there aren't many other options in Khun Yuam.

Hey,

Does anyone know when the sunflowers will be in bloom this year in Mae Hong Son? I know its around november time every year, but don't know the dates this year.

I have never been, but thinking of taking the car this year, and doing a weekend trip...

Where's the best place to go? And is there any decent accomodation nearby? I can budget for around 1000 baht a night...

Any advice much appreciated!

You may know already that these sunflowers are a different variety than the ones whos seeds we eat. This is a weed commonly called an Italian Sunflower. You'll see many growing along the sides of the road in many areas of the North. The place GTRider is refering to has the most I've ever seen in one place. A sight to behold.

I was at Ban Farang a couple of weeks ago - ok, it was off season. There are no farangs or English-speaking people on staff, you can only communicate in Thai. They were making faces when I asked about the restaurant (it was open but they couldn't be arsed to actually cook), and they were generally very very unhelpful, one of my worst experiences in Thailand in 8 years.

They may get their act together for the high season, but I was wondering, why do they bother.

The thing is, I guess there aren't many other options in Khun Yuam.

Firelily

Wow! Disappointing news there about Ban Farang, as my experience there has always been acceptably good; however I'm quite decent with the local language so don't really bother about the English. Sometimes in low season if they don't have any customers staying there I don't expect anything much from the kitchen either. But the lack of English is not an uncommon problem when you are out in the boonies & us farang are in a very small minority.

Now if Ban Farang is so bad I wonder what your next recommendation for the area would be, & would they speak English good enough for someone who has been in Thailand 8 years & can't communicate in Thai???

For a couple of reports with photos of the sunflowers look here

1. Sunflower Season Mae U-Khor.

2. Mae Sarieng Sunflowers

Edited by davidgtr

Fern Resort just south of town is quite nice, or at least was three or four years ago. Touted as an eco resort and has good food and a pool. At a guess I'd say it's around 2k a night now though, although have cheaper rooms.

Fern

mae-hong-son.jpg

Sunflowers

mea-hong-son.jpg

• 2 weeks later...