Ready To Retire?

Mr Red

I am nearing retirement (about 5 years) and my Thai wife of 34 years is ready now. I love my wife to death and I have willingly made my plans to retire with her to Thailand to give her the inner peace and solitude of being with her family in her native country after following me around the world for all these years. I owe her so much that making that decision is a snap ... or so I thought.

We have kids and grandkids, but that is not the issue. I feel comfortable that we can migrate back and forth between the US and Thailand sufficiently to maintain the level of contact we need for that. The problem is me ...

My problem is not one of missing my country or the comforts here -- this is all about work versus retirement. In fact, moving someplace or another has nothing to do with it. Fact is, I am loving what I do more than I ever have as I near the twilight of my career.

Let me explain a bit -- I am a software engineer and have been for more than 25 years. I have been through all the ups and downs and have alternately loved and hated my jobs. Currently I manage a group of engineers doing highly technical software and I love the challenge and the way our group clicks. It is very rewarding and probably the best job I have had. We just flat have fun at it!

Sucks to have it being so good near the end. I want to face this situation early on and try to convince myself I need to stay focused on the goal of getting my wife back home. But, I wonder how I will feel when I really need to pull the plug.

Any similar thoughts out there??

I have an empathy with your situation. Currently I am employed in HK - I have very little pressure, travel to interesting places, staying in nice hotels, meet pleasant people and get paid rediculously well. Yet I will throw it all in on March 31 2008 and move to Thailand and become an Isaan rice farmer with my wife and her family.

It is my idea - my wife would quite happily stay in HK and carry on as we are. She has family, including two kids (in their 20s) in HK. I have told my company of my intentions and they reckon that they will pay me more and I will stay and do not understand why I would want to live in Thailand.

My thinking is that I want to enjoy Thailand whilst I am still young and fit enough to do so and to spend quality time with my wife. If you wait until you can no longer work or lead a fully active life it is too late.

After being back in Thailand for a bit you'll soon pick up other pursuits or even concentrate the free time on golf etc.

Personally, can't think of another place in which to retire myself... :o

I believe I can pursue enough diversions, travel chief among them, to keep me occupied. I am wondering about the lack of fulfillment -- anyone experienced that sensation on retirement?

I have an empathy with your situation. Currently I am employed in HK - I have very little pressure, travel to interesting places, staying in nice hotels, meet pleasant people and get paid rediculously well. Yet I will throw it all in on March 31 2008 and move to Thailand and become an Isaan rice farmer with my wife and her family.

It is my idea - my wife would quite happily stay in HK and carry on as we are. She has family, including two kids (in their 20s) in HK. I have told my company of my intentions and they reckon that they will pay me more and I will stay and do not understand why I would want to live in Thailand.

My thinking is that I want to enjoy Thailand whilst I am still young and fit enough to do so and to spend quality time with my wife. If you wait until you can no longer work or lead a fully active life it is too late.

pnustedt -- your'e real close! My concerns aren't based on the money (although that is pretty good now!) -- my issue is if you feel you might miss your good situation after you fold the tent?

I admire your dedication to your goals -- I feel a bit weak since I am openly questioning my own goals.

I have known since 1991 that I would retire and most likely die in Thailand. I have worked all my life and simply got tired, lazy or whatever. In any case I always had good well paying jobs but none that I liked better than being able to retire here. The fact of the matter is that had I retired in the USA I would be living at poverty level and here I am pretty well off. It was a no brainer for me. I do love to tinker and have just built an eight meter by eight meter garage/shop. It is 95% complete and I'm looking forward to getting it equipped with toys.

After being back in Thailand for a bit you'll soon pick up other pursuits or even concentrate the free time on golf etc.

Personally, can't think of another place in which to retire myself... :D

I believe I can pursue enough diversions, travel chief among them, to keep me occupied. I am wondering about the lack of fulfillment -- anyone experienced that sensation on retirement?

"Lack of Fulfillment" is a purely subjective assesment.

My fulfillment, initially, will be construction of my retirement home without bashing someone or having a heart-attack at the lack of construction progress! :o

Personally, can't think of another place in which to retire myself... :D

"Lack of Fulfillment" is a purely subjective assesment.

My fulfillment, initially, will be construction of my retirement home without bashing someone or having a heart-attack at the lack of construction progress! :o

I hope I can make the break so well -- perhaps what I need to do is build a house there -- like here in the states, that is a pretty good way to occupy all your waking hours and more energy than you can spare! Good luck with your house!

If its not a rude question how old are you Mr.Red?

Only Im 50 spent the first four-five months building my house, then BANG, nothing to do, so now I spend most of my time at the local hospital, as all the aches pains and feelind of general non-wellbeing that my body pushed aside when I was busy have come back to haunt me, I am being treated for 4 different ailments at present, I only had one that I knew of when I came here. they say that retirement can be deadly, when I am fit again I have gotta find something to occupy me as I am not the sort of person that likes hobbies, in fact I have none to be honest. I want to play golf but my back prevents that at the moment.

Anyway my two cents worth, I feel the key to enjoying retirement out here is having something positive to keep you occupied for some of the time and then you can enjoy the fruits of your labours during the rest of it.

Good Luck

TP

For me, there are two important things in retirement....firstly, relationships and a sense of community, and secondly, worthwhile things to keep you busy.

My wife is a few years younger than me, and I anticipate that we will move back to Thailand in a while. Currently we are living in a regional area near Sydney. I am active in the local church, teach CE at a local school, have access to all the newspapers and decent tv that I need. Good internet service. Not sure whether all these things will be available in Thailand.

On the other hand, I am sure that we could find some worthwhile work, maybe supporting people helping disadvantaged kids and families, or something similar.

If the Thai government is smart, it would be looking at ways of tapping into the increasing numbers of financially secure and active retirees that seem to be making their home in LOS. Maybe this could be a project in itself......lobbying for some sort of structure to use expats to help locals who need help. There are a helluva lot of them.

If its not a rude question how old are you Mr.Red?

Only Im 50 spent the first four-five months building my house, then BANG, nothing to do, so now I spend most of my time at the local hospital, as all the aches pains and feelind of general non-wellbeing that my body pushed aside when I was busy have come back to haunt me, I am being treated for 4 different ailments at present, I only had one that I knew of when I came here. they say that retirement can be deadly, when I am fit again I have gotta find something to occupy me as I am not the sort of person that likes hobbies, in fact I have none to be honest. I want to play golf but my back prevents that at the moment.

Anyway my two cents worth, I feel the key to enjoying retirement out here is having something positive to keep you occupied for some of the time and then you can enjoy the fruits of your labours during the rest of it.

Good Luck

TP

TP -- I am 55 and perhaps still in good health for the very reason you speak of. I am just recently getting concerned with my health (good now, thank god), and I think I want to continue the exercise and healthy eating. I think you are correct in that the biggest thing we can lose in retirement is our health from going stale -- nothing to do.

I wish you luck with your healthcare and hope you can find the things to keep you active and positive.

For me, there are two important things in retirement....firstly, relationships and a sense of community, and secondly, worthwhile things to keep you busy.

My wife is a few years younger than me, and I anticipate that we will move back to Thailand in a while.  Currently we are living in a regional area near Sydney.  I am active in the local church, teach CE at a local school, have access to all the newspapers and decent tv that I need.  Good internet service.  Not sure whether all these things will be available in Thailand.

On the other hand, I am sure that we could find some worthwhile work, maybe supporting people helping disadvantaged kids and families, or something similar.

If the Thai government is smart, it would be looking at ways of tapping into the increasing numbers of financially secure and active retirees that seem to be making their home in LOS.  Maybe this could be a project in itself......lobbying for some sort of structure to use expats to help locals who need help.  There are a helluva lot of them.

Wamberal -- good post! You are right on that keeping active and finding a sense of usefulness is very essential. While I am not personally a religous man, I have seen the inner peace and serene feelings of those that are. I admire that, and seek to find work and/or fulfillment that helps me feel good and useful.

Your idea is great -- why can't the expats form a group to help those in need or participate in civic projects to help fulfill their need for usefulness? There are organizations that aid in that (Civitan, etc.). Are they active in Thailand?

Good luck to you and thanks for the good direction of thought!

My wife is a few years younger than me, and I anticipate that we will move back to Thailand in a while.  Currently we are living in a regional area near Sydney.  I am active in the local church, teach CE at a local school, have access to all the newspapers and decent tv that I need.  Good internet service.  Not sure whether all these things will be available in Thailand.

If the Thai government is smart, it would be looking at ways of tapping into the increasing numbers of financially secure and active retirees that seem to be making their home in LOS.  Maybe this could be a project in itself......lobbying for some sort of structure to use expats to help locals who need help.   There are a helluva lot of them.

Wamberal -- good post! You are right on that keeping active and finding a sense of usefulness is very essential. While I am not personally a religous man, I have seen the inner peace and serene feelings of those that are. I admire that, and seek to find work and/or fulfillment that helps me feel good and useful.

Your idea is great -- why can't the expats form a group to help those in need or participate in civic projects to help fulfill their need for usefulness? There are organizations that aid in that (Civitan, etc.). Are they active in Thailand?

For myself, I've established good communication with the Adjarn at my local Wat who will help coach me in the intricacies of local Buddhist customs and some language usage. That and being on good terms with my "pooyai ban" smoothing out the rough edges as I'm the only Farang in my community.

It's gonna be a challange but an interesting one! :o

Retired from Government job in UK 2 years ago and immediately my thai wife and I moved to Thailand. Standard of living one I simply could not afford in UK. Don't miss the work problems one bit. Stats. show it is stress that is the most important factor in health, not finishing work! Do a bit of writing in between, gardening, taking care of the dogs, and looking after my brother in laws baby. You can always find things you enjoy anywhere, you don't need the same job but it starts to become an imaginary lifeline.

Lots of societies and charities in Pattaya to keep people busy, although I personally have built a bungalow about half hour away. $25000 for 3 bedrooms and lots of land!

Good luck whatever your decision.

If the Thai government is smart, it would be looking at ways of tapping into the increasing numbers of financially secure and active retirees that seem to be making their home in LOS.  Maybe this could be a project in itself......lobbying for some sort of structure to use expats to help locals who need help.   There are a helluva lot of them.

For myself, I've established good communication with the Adjarn at my local Wat who will help coach me in the intricacies of local Buddhist customs and some language usage. That and being on good terms with my "pooyai ban" smoothing out the rough edges as I'm the only Farang in my community.

It's gonna be a challange but an interesting one! :D

Mr Red, you haven't said where you expect to be based come the retirement move - except you mentioned a group party in Phuket? I'm closer to the move than you are; all being well, I'll be re-locating to Chiang Mai by the end of this year (aged a sprightly 55 by then). Having done my sums, I know that money to support a good/reasonable lifestyle is not likely to be an issue - leaving just the question of how to occupy myself as a small, hovering query way at the back of my mind.

Long term, I plan to do more of the research/writing that I used to do before getting sucked into the strange world of commercials production. I reckon I'll need the first two years to get up to reasonable speed in Thai (perhaps you already are through your Thai wife?). After that, I'll probably be ready to build the house I want where I want.

I also expect to get involved in the operations of a local charity group I know - Brit-run and helping Aids victims in this case, but it could be any of a number of things. Allowing that this unpaid involvement can be construed as "work" by the Thai powers-that-be, I still think I can find the way to do it and keep my retirement status secure year-to year.

Come to that, I've also looked into what would be involved in later changing from the retirement status to forming a Thai company and thus making a work permit available for me to do pretty much anything I'm likely to want. Having run my own small company in the UK for 25 years, I reckon I should be able to handle that. More to the point, it feels to me like I have some useful organising knowledge and skills to contribute to the running of local Thai entities - be they business or charitable. I'm trying very hard not to come across as the patronising "white man cometh" here - but, in any case, I think of it as very much a two-way thing i.e. I will be learning a whole raft of new things in my new "home" and may be able to offer something new in return.

My point about where you will be settling is that it may be more viable and easier to do some of what I've described up-country rather than in the BKK, Phuket, Pattaya etc "hotspots". Having just spent six weeks in Chiang Mai, I certainly saw plenty of examples of expats who seem to have virtually no connection with where they now are; for them, the week seems to revolve around fixtures of regular golf/darts matches and pub quiz nights - in a (generally) better climate and at much lower cost. Some even boast about how little Thai they speak. Not for me to judge, but no way is that viable for me. To me, the prospect of living in Thailand represents the opportunity (and challenge) to connect to, explore and appreciate a fantastic range of new experiences - and, maybe, give something useful back as part of the dialogue. The key is connecting and staying connected.

Good luck with your version! :o

I believe I can pursue enough diversions, travel chief among them, to keep me occupied.  I am wondering about the lack of fulfillment -- anyone experienced that sensation on retirement?

Absolutely. I used to manage software projects in the million pounds price range, as well as maintain - personally - really old software written by morons/geniuses 20 odd years ago. The technical challenges every day were immense and yet so rewarding. Coming here there is nothing like that - except maybe finding ways around the bugs in the Firefox web browser :D .

So I, too, would like a real technical challenge and if anyone has some suggestions I would love to hear them. :o

Post 101 -- wow, crossed a hurdle here!

Steve2K and Boon Mee make some very good points -- I'm sure it's all about keeping busy. The problem is as RDN laid out -- busy work is not the same as challenging interesting work. In my case, once I leave the software group, that's it. Unlike commercial software work, I can't fall back on doing freelance stuff.

Steve brought up another point that got me thinking -- my skills in organizing and managing a project to complete on time and within budget are pretty good, and in my later years as a manager, that is what I do rather than deal with the individual technical challenges anymore. I still stick my nose in because I miss it and I try to convince myself I have more experience, so I must be smarter then the youngsters on my staff, but I am proven wrong on that count more often than I care to admit. I have built up a substantial skill set for project management, and, with my temperment, I could see me trying to take over in a volunteer situation where I don't understand the "Thai Way" that things are being done -- Danger, Will Robinson!

So switching into low gear and holding my tongue when I "know the better way" will have to be talents I learn quickly, I predict. I can foresee searching for that elusive technical or managerial challenge, as RDN said, and being left unfulfilled.