As Long As 'double Pricing' Not Eliminated Should Gov Better Not Worry About The Giant Number Of Lost Tourists ?

spaceshipcrew

As long as the highly annoying racistic 'double pricing' in natureparks, zoo, doi Suthep etc. not has been eliminated should the gov better not worry about One Million Lost Tourists ? (chiangmai as example)

But if they DO worry about the huge amount of lost income from tourism and DO want to reverse this, isn't it about time to start thinking of the law of Cause And Effect, to start realizing that 'double pricing' could be one of the things that badly damages the countries image, hospitality and show of good moral ?

And may perhaps be of the first (and most easy) bad things to eliminate.

Or perhaps they simply don't worry and maipenrai and accept it as 'shit happens' as it's a traditional habit to maipenrai everything that forces serious thinking ? (the 'chan mi poewot hoewa' effect)

:)

Edited by spaceshipcrew

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A long time ago somewhere in the universe of Thailand when i was hapless tourist i had no idea of double pricing and to be honest didn't care because my big honking sterling pounds bought a hel_l of lot more than back home.....

Its only farangs living here who get their knickers in a twist.... when ever i have presented my work permit or spoke my limited Thai in all prices i have had Thai prices.

However, there are stories in TV about farangs desperate, lonely, struggle and despair in the two tier pricing at Dream World.

I have been there 3 times and have always paid Thai prices..

So it must be like the girls, some of us have all the good luck and the others have the cr@p!

IMHO Young bucks booking up for 2 weeks of carnage in Patters will not care and Mr and Mrs Helmut from Europe booking there 2 weeker in Phuket will expect to pay tourist prices...

So who would not book up a holiday because of some national parks advertising prices in Thai (majority of Westerners cannot read) than in Western numerals.

Double pricing surely has no affect on tourists booking or not..

I would suggest.

Worldwide recession

Airport closures

Riots in Bkk

Newer funkier countries opening up to tourism

end of......

OMG, there is double/tiered pricing in Thailand!!!! Who knew, this is news to me!!!!????? I for one will be calling the PM right away, I have his mobile number, you know. Perhaps I will also have my g/f intervene on our behalf, as she is well connected to "you know who"!

Here we go again........Sing along with me everybody!

As long as the highly annoying racistic 'double pricing' in natureparks, zoo, doi Suthep etc. not has been eliminated should the gov better not worry about One Million Lost Tourists ? (chiangmai as example)

I hate double pricing and refuse to go places that engage in this practice but I don't think it has any impact on tourism. Very few people would refuse to come to Thailand because they are charged (an inconsiquential amount) more at a few tourist attractions than locals (who they generally perceive as very poor). Some people may refuse to support the practice but that money will still be spent in Thailand anyway. The only real negative is the loss of repeat visits to those particular venues by long stay or repeat tourists and the negative attitude towards Thailand that the practice generates among the regulars.

It's probably worth explaining that it is not the dfferent prices of admission that bother so many; it is the way the policy is implemented.

For example, it is probably fair to say that most tourists and resident ex-pats would not mind if there was a sign at the ticket booth with something like the following:

General Admission Fee: XXX baht per person

Discount Admission Fee for Thai Citizens (who show their national ID card): XX baht per person

And, the ticket-taker asks to see the Thai ID of anyone who wants the the discount rate.

But that is not how it's done at most places with two-tiered pricing. Instead, how much to charge is based on the judgment of the ticket-taker as to whether the buyer is a Thai citizen or not. So all those tourists from the Philippines and Malaysia who speak good Thai get the discount rate. While Bill Heinecke (who holds Thai citizenship) would probably have to pay the general fee.

'nuff said

I consider it does have an effect on tourists. As a person living here I know I have to live wth it although I do not like it and it oftenmeans me not going where I would otherwise go. Tourists however come here with a bacground from their home countries that discrimination in all forms is abhorent and define, rightly, doulble pricing as discriminaqtion.

This colours their experience and can lead them them pick a different destination next time.

It's probably worth explaining that it is not the dfferent prices of admission that bother so many; it is the way the policy is implemented.

For example, it is probably fair to say that most tourists and resident ex-pats would not mind if there was a sign at the ticket booth with something like the following:

General Admission Fee: XXX baht per person

Discount Admission Fee for Thai Citizens (who show their national ID card): XX baht per person

And, the ticket-taker asks to see the Thai ID of anyone who wants the the discount rate.

But that is not how it's done at most places with two-tiered pricing. Instead, how much to charge is based on the judgment of the ticket-taker as to whether the buyer is a Thai citizen or not. So all those tourists from the Philippines and Malaysia who speak good Thai get the discount rate. While Bill Heinecke (who holds Thai citizenship) would probably have to pay the general fee.

'nuff said

Awesome!

tourists from Malaysia and Philippines, Singapore maybe too can walkaround the system? that is good for them. cool. where is there the problem?

I should imagine that 99% of tourists coming here do not even know there is double pricing,as for myself i show my Thai driving licence and pay Thai price. Much more worrying is the fact that The British govt as reported in The Mail today intend to levy a 50 pound tax on long distance flights ,to places like Thailand.

while agree its a pretty dumb policy,i dont think its a factor in deterring tourist from coming to thailand.I would bet most poorer countries try to scam tourists a best they can and the double pricing is just one way,a far bigger scam is adding drinks to your bill that you did not drink/order in my opinion.

I purchased a hunting license to hunt deer in Wisconsin,USA. As a non-resident of that state I had to pay much more for the license.

Stay at a state park as a non-resident, you pay more. Their state taxes pay for for this stuff, not my state taxes.

Double prices at Thai parks...It's their parks not ours. Besides the amount is chump change IMO.

I hate double pricing and refuse to go places that engage in this practice but I don't think it has any impact on tourism. Very few people would refuse to come to Thailand because they are charged (an inconsiquential amount) more at a few tourist attractions than locals (who they generally perceive as very poor). Some people may refuse to support the practice but that money will still be spent in Thailand anyway. The only real negative is the loss of repeat visits to those particular venues by long stay or repeat tourists and the negative attitude towards Thailand that the practice generates among the regulars.

I believe everything counts, also double pricing, also the gruesome but 'traditional' torture of elephants, also airport taxi scams etc. etc. it all helps create the image of thailand (and effect the countries karma !!!!)

Here we go. We'll have all the <deleted> about tiered-pricing in the West now from the Thaier than Thai as a counter. :)

Not to mention the "<deleted> here we go again" brigade who always have to post just to show how experienced they are in these matters! Let the posters get on with it, if you've read it before just ignore it!

I should imagine that 99% of tourists coming here do not even know there is double pricing,as for myself i show my Thai driving licence and pay Thai price. Much more worrying is the fact that The British govt as reported in The Mail today intend to levy a 50 pound tax on long distance flights ,to places like Thailand.

Good...maybe it'll keep some of the lager louts away! :)

“Double prices at Thai parks..”

Just a technical correction 'Patron', the official Thai Gov set rate is actually TEN 10 times more.

I really don't think most people know there is double pricing. All Thai prices are written in Thai script, even the price numbers.

Most tourist I really don't think venture away form the tourist traps anyway to know the difference, or actually want to. Happy enough paying 100b a beer.

This racist practise really pisses me off big time, but I do not agree with the title of the thread that it has such amssive impact on Thai Tourism going broke.

TIT, leave your logic at home !!!!!! Get out and enjoy life !!

Edited by Gobbledoc

I consider it does have an effect on tourists. As a person living here I know I have to live wth it although I do not like it and it oftenmeans me not going where I would otherwise go. Tourists however come here with a bacground from their home countries that discrimination in all forms is abhorent and define, rightly, doulble pricing as discriminaqtion.

This colours their experience and can lead them them pick a different destination next time.

Correct.........it is likely not the "first time" travelers to Thailand who are impacted........it is the travelers who come here and feel "ripped off" because of what they perceive to be outright racism against foreigners.........they go back and spread the word.......

The policy is stupid beyond imagination. It is simply an addition to other anti-foreigner policies that negatively impact tourism.........these are things Thailand can do something about..........as opposed to the global economy.

Often, how often? Annually?? Bi-weekly? Monthly?.

I have a child and visit safari world dreamworld and ocean world pretty much monthly on a rotating basis and i have yet to pay a non-local rate. but if you are living here, not visiting a theme park or nature park or national on a regular basis, how "often" could two tiered pricing become an issue?

edit: i see that this is a 3 year old thread. there seems to be a lot of "reheated" old favourites around lately. Thaivisa is like a school cafeteria: you dont know if the meatloaf is from last night or last year, and it all looks and tastes the same either way.

Edited by t.s

edit: i see that this is a 3 year old thread. there seems to be a lot of "reheated" old favourites around lately. Thaivisa is like a school cafeteria: you dont know if the meatloaf is from last night or last year, and it all looks and tastes the same either way.

Hmm, well if it is a three year old thread, that meatloaf that you have been eating must be affecting your sight. :)

As for the topic: I guess we were due another version of this particular gripe.

As long as the sun shines and the bars are open and Farangs can come to Thailand and have a good time, tourism will not be affected by National Parks charging Thai people less.

Just don't go, it's not rocket science, but even if Thailand made national park entrances free for Farangs, there would be a host of other complaints , whinges and whines from the usual suspects on this and other forums.

Thailand just can't win no matter what the policy is, you'll always find something to bitch about, jeeeez.

I bet all you moaners would be queueing at the gates of National Parks all over Thailand if you could save a few baht, right ?

I wonder how many here complain about poor people turning to prostitution when they are having their nuts groped by some poor girl ? Not many I'll bet, of course you'll accept that cos it's benificial to you right ?

Just stop the freekin' whining, JRTexas, why do you post on this forum, you can't possibly live in Thailand or if you have ever been you can't ever be going back, all you do is whine about how bad things are, or are you continuouslly moaning about all the injustices cos you care so much about the country you love to hate ?

Correct.........it is likely not the "first time" travelers to Thailand who are impacted........it is the travelers who come here and feel "ripped off" because of what they perceive to be outright racism against foreigners.........they go back and spread the word.......

The policy is stupid beyond imagination. It is simply an addition to other anti-foreigner policies that negatively impact tourism.........these are things Thailand can do something about..........as opposed to the global economy.

The policy is stupid, I agree. It also causes negative feelings towards Thailand. I don't agree that any significan't numbers of tourists would decide not to come (or return) to Thailand based on the double pricing at some venues. If a venue is significant enough to someone that they are willing to travel to Thailand to experience it, then the relative price difference is of little importance. If they are drawn to Thailand for other reasons then dual pricing at these venues may be an annoyance but not likely to be important enough to disuade them from coming for whatever it was that drew them to Thailand in the first place. Obviously there are exceptions but I would think the efect on tourism would be very small.

Taken with other anti-farang policies that cause negative feelings toward Thailand there may be a significan't impact on repeat visitors but the OP's premiss is that dual pricing in itself is a significant detriment to tourism. I don't think that is true.

Yah, double pricing is the main reason why I spend my winters in Thailand rather than some place like New Zealand or Australia. I can rent a nice room in a Chiang Mai hotel for $200 a month. In New Zealand it costs me $1500 a month. In Sydney it costs me closer to $2000 for a similar hotel. It's even cheaper than staying home in Canada and paying the heating bill in the home I own.

Oh, and that lovely Thai meal that costs me $14.95 in a Canadian restaurant I have to pay $1.50 for in a Thailand cafe.

Yup, I love that double pricing.

Yah, double pricing is the main reason why I spend my winters in Thailand rather than some place like New Zealand or Australia. I can rent a nice room in a Chiang Mai hotel for $200 a month. In New Zealand it costs me $1500 a month. In Sydney it costs me closer to $2000 for a similar hotel. It's even cheaper than staying home in Canada and paying the heating bill in the home I own.

Oh, and that lovely Thai meal that costs me $14.95 in a Canadian restaurant I have to pay $1.50 for in a Thailand cafe.

Yup, I love that double pricing.

Right Ian,

though you'll now be accused of being a rose tinted spectacle wearing Thai apologist...... :)

As a world traveller for many years before ending up in Thailand, I did not check the price of National Parks before visiting a country, I seriously doubt anyone does.

Double pricing, so what, it;s still quite cheap for the visitor. Most times I get in for Thai price anyhow, speaking the language and having a Thai drivers license helps in this regard.

If it bothers you don't visit the places that have this policy.

At least most places you can Pee here for free, not like some of the countrys I have visited.

Right Ian,

though you'll now be accused of being a rose tinted spectacle wearing Thai apologist...... :D

Yah, but those rose tinted spectacles seem to attract all those pretty young ladies that keep calling me "hansum man".

Or,

maybe it's the bulge in my back pocket. :):D

I purchased a hunting license to hunt deer in Wisconsin,USA. As a non-resident of that state I had to pay much more for the license.

Stay at a state park as a non-resident, you pay more. Their state taxes pay for for this stuff, not my state taxes.

Double prices at Thai parks...It's their parks not ours. Besides the amount is chump change IMO.

You totally miss the point (me thinks knowingly) . First, we are talking about Thailand so references to other places are not relevant. Secondly, using your example, the fees charged in your example are NOT based on race. They are based on local state tax payers. Thirdly, you smuggishly ignore the fact that some western expats may not be as wealthy as you are and you ignore the fact that some expats gain their full income from Thailand , pay local taxes, may have bought property locally, may be married to a local , may have Thai kids and still after all that because and ONLY because they have white skin and do not look asian they are forced to pay well over the odds of what a local may have to pay.

So, it seems you think this discrimination towards non-asian westeners is OK. So, then would you also advocate that if in the country you used as an example, America, implemented a policy of all Asians, no matter their status or domicile, pay far more than the local white caucasians it would be OK?

This practice is racist! Do you support racism?

Edited by barky