As Long As 'double Pricing' Not Eliminated Should Gov Better Not Worry About The Giant Number Of Lost Tourists ?

spaceshipcrew

A long time ago somewhere in the universe of Thailand when i was hapless tourist i had no idea of double pricing and to be honest didn't care because my big honking sterling pounds bought a hel_l of lot more than back home.....

Its only farangs living here who get their knickers in a twist.... when ever i have presented my work permit or spoke my limited Thai in all prices i have had Thai prices.

However, there are stories in TV about farangs desperate, lonely, struggle and despair in the two tier pricing at Dream World.

I have been there 3 times and have always paid Thai prices..

So it must be like the girls, some of us have all the good luck and the others have the cr@p!

IMHO Young bucks booking up for 2 weeks of carnage in Patters will not care and Mr and Mrs Helmut from Europe booking there 2 weeker in Phuket will expect to pay tourist prices...

So who would not book up a holiday because of some national parks advertising prices in Thai (majority of Westerners cannot read) than in Western numerals.

Double pricing surely has no affect on tourists booking or not..

I would suggest.

Worldwide recession

Airport closures

Riots in Bkk

Newer funkier countries opening up to tourism

end of......

Here Here.. a person who actually thought this through logically. Good show.... :)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the problem... it is only white farangs that get double priced.... my Chinese and Malay friends (tourists) all went to the same theme park as myself and they were charged local prices without having to show any ID or anything.... that is the issue.... a white tax...........

Only because they are thought Thai; the same happened to us when we went to visit some site in Burma where tourists are charged an entrance fee whereas Nationals get in free. I was stopped and my friend wasn't (and the same signs were put up)

It doesn't happen in Europe or USA as everyone (I hope) is considered as a National

As long as the highly annoying racistic 'double pricing' in natureparks, zoo, doi Suthep etc. not has been eliminated should the gov better not worry about One Million Lost Tourists ? (chiangmai as example)

But if they DO worry about the huge amount of lost income from tourism and DO want to reverse this, isn't it about time to start thinking of the law of Cause And Effect, to start realizing that 'double pricing' could be one of the things that badly damages the countries image, hospitality and show of good moral ?

Typically, where are the people who complain about double pricing? IN THAILAND. So there is little cause and effect.

I believe everything counts, also double pricing, also the gruesome but 'traditional' torture of elephants, also airport taxi scams etc. etc. it all helps create the image of thailand (and effect the countries karma !!!!)

When I told friends back home that I was retiring in Thailand, no one mentioned any of the above. They all said -- serious or not -- wow, now we can go to visit Thailand.

what is 'double pricing'?

Here is a easy example if you are really so naive about this matter-

GOLF PRICING

Green fee Frang 2500 baht

Thai fee 600 baht

same course, same same same except dual pricing, now you are a more knowledgeable person :)

I would doubt that there are any farang prices for golfing in Thailand. Please post them. I'm sure the price is for foreigners or non-Thais; thus they would charge caucasians with Thai citizenship and caucasian resident club members the lower price.

The double pricing is almost everywhere - not only where it is clearly shown in the price table. In my opinion the hidden double pricing is far worse, as you do not notice it untill later.

Anyway it is only fair, that the people who live permanently in Thailand, based on a local taxable income, should have lower prices. Just accept it and try to understand it.

"Anyway it is only fair, that the people who live permanently in Thailand, based on a local taxable income, should have lower prices. Just accept it and try to understand it"

....that argument can be said in any country in the world and is therefore not relevant.

The only reason for double pricing here is the superficial local assumption, that all Westerners have more money, therefore shall pay more than the locals and shall also understand that.

REAL tourist don't care at all, not one single little bit, whether there is dual pricing in place or not... they care whether it is good value for money, and whether it is perceived to be a good price relative to their home country, or other countries they could have traveled to... end of story...

I don't care that the price to enter a National Park is pinned more closely to my earning capacity that a Thai national, because I wouldn't want to see Thai's excluded from THEIR important places so their government can make money out of farrangs...

I don't care that the price to enter some theme-park is close to that as in Australia for me, and less so that a Thai child can have the same enjoyment my children can...

I don't care that the system they do have is difficult to enforce, and Malays (who generally don't earn much), Chinese (who don't do much better) and Singaporeans (who still don't earn as much as me) slip through...

Is it good value??? Is it good compared to going to another similar destination??? That is all a tourist cares about...

I do care that the price of a red van in Phuket is exorbitant, due to alleged involvement of organised crime, and that it will greatly affect the way I enjoy my holiday... that is the sort of thing the government needs to address...

I do care that hotel prices in Phuket are very high, and that may make me choose to travel to somewhere different next time... and that has nothing to do with dual pricing, it is capitalist markets at work, and I think there is probably a change coming (or just even more (Baht richer) Scandinavians, and fewer Australians)...

Those that do care are not tourists, they are the ones abusing Thailand's poorly enforced immigration laws, staying in Thailand through manipulation of the system, and then complaining that their lack of integration (I mean seriously, how hard is it to get a Thai drivers license if you live in Thailand) bites them on the arse... and even then, a farrang living in Thailand will almost certainly have a higher disposable income that most Thai's...

Pay up, quit your bitching and think about all the things you don't have to complain about...

Daewoo

The only reason for double pricing here is the superficial local assumption, that all Westerners have more money, therefore shall pay more than the locals and shall also understand that.

It isn't superficial and it isn't local... <deleted>, Thailand is recognised as a "Developing" country according to the UN, and almost all Western countries are Developed... Developing Country is a term generally used to describe a nation with a low level of material well being... therefore, it is recognised at a global level that someone from Thailand will have less material wealth that someone from a developed nation...

don't use untruths to justify your argument please...

Daewoo

It isn't superficial and it isn't local... <deleted>, Thailand is recognised as a "Developing" country according to the UN, and almost all Western countries are Developed... Developing Country is a term generally used to describe a nation with a low level of material well being... therefore, it is recognised at a global level that someone from Thailand will have less material wealth that someone from a developed nation...

Daewoo

You obviously have never seen the rich Thais here they make heaps of money. Do you really think low class Thai would play golf ? So for the golf courses it is a good argument. (i don't play golf i just hate it that i pay 1000bt instead of the 400 bt a thai pays to fish in bungsamran so i dont go there anymore)

I agree with TaoNow. It's left to the ticket seller at the booth to decide purely on looks. An overweight farang with a red face like me clearly isn't Thai but how DOES he/she discriminate between Thai's, Indonesians, Malayasians etc.? And what about my children who are half Thai but don't speak the language fluently? We recently went to the Tiger Temple near Kanchanaburi and no amount of documetation to prove I live in Thailand, such as work permit and driving licence, would persuade them to let me in for the Thai price. Dual pricing probably doesn't make much difference to tourist numbers but that's not the point. It's another small indicator of how xenophobic Thailand still is. Not that they mind all the local jobs that are produced by the money that foreigners and foreign companies bring into the country, of course.

Daewoo

You obviously have never seen the rich Thais here they make heaps of money. Do you really think low class Thai would play golf ? So for the golf courses it is a good argument. (i don't play golf i just hate it that i pay 1000bt instead of the 400 bt a thai pays to fish in bungsamran so i dont go there anymore)

I have seen the very rich Thais... and I know how much richer they are then me and probably any Australian I know, but I also know that they are a very small percentage, and I also know that my exact equivalent in Thailand earns 30,000THB/month, and I earn 400,000THB/month (before Australian Tax)... seems only fair that his kids should have the same access to services as my kids...

Why should it hurt Kh Sajja's wallet any more than mine for us to play a game of golf together??? (noting as well, that culturally, Kh Sajja being older, he should be paying for both of us, so would be insulted if I offered to pay for him)

in response to the OP... having a different price for Kh Sajja's family and mine wouldn't affect my decision to come to Thailand so long as I felt I received a fair price... and it stacked up against other options...

Cheers,

Daewoo

The Thais pay less due it is part of compensation from the government. Another TAT encourages Thais to tour in their own country rather than spending their money overseas. As for foreigners, who's care they come and gone. Thailand would be a better country if less farangs are staying here.

Daewoo

The term "superficial" refers to the way people here generalise and justify that behaviour and therefore it is no untruth at all. Why then someone from a poorer country does not pay less than a local?

You are right, that many people in some other countries are richer than many people here in T. But not all of them. And many Thais on holidays are richer than the locals regional, national, international.

So what can be done on a fair level for all? A new UNO resolution, that everyone shall pay for products and services in relation to the personal wealth only worldwide?

Not too few tourists save for their holidays for months and sacrifice other purchases back home. Many locals don't know that and/or would not believe that.

I STILL say..."So what."

In Canada there are 10 provinces. 9 provinces have to have signs and goods displayed in both English and French. The ONLY province that does not, is Quebec, which happens to be the only province that speaks French, and can double price goods for non speaking French.

Is it fair? NO! But it is legal. I can stay away if I don't like it... the same with Thailand. If you don't like double pricing then choose somewhere else to make home.

Two tier pricing is disgraceful and in my opinion and reflects very poorly on the people that operate it. However, i don't think it does any significant damage to tourism.

If you live here, then just don't use places that use the two tier system and you will enjoy your time more. I know enough nice places to eat that charge me local prices anyway so more fool the others.

Edited by carmine

I STILL say..."So what."

In Canada there are 10 provinces. 9 provinces have to have signs and goods displayed in both English and French. The ONLY province that does not, is Quebec, which happens to be the only province that speaks French, and can double price goods for non speaking French.

Is it fair? NO! But it is legal. I can stay away if I don't like it... the same with Thailand. If you don't like double pricing then choose somewhere else to make home.

What happens in Canada is irrelevent as i live here. Why should anyone "like" double pricing!? What a stupid comment

Afew years ago I took some Thais to a Park in Chiangrai Provence and I was asked to pay a higher price to enter the park than the Thais. I asked the attendant why I have to pay more. He said that all National Parks are maintained by Thai peoples Taxes so they are only charged a small fee and tourists pay a little exrta as they dont contribute any tax money for the Parks.

I totally agree with that and also it is a trivial amount to whinge about.

Daewoo

I have seen the very rich Thais... and I know how much richer they are then me and probably any Australian I know, but I also know that they are a very small percentage, and I also know that my exact equivalent in Thailand earns 30,000THB/month, and I earn 400,000THB/month (before Australian Tax)... seems only fair that his kids should have the same access to services as my kids...

Why should it hurt Kh Sajja's wallet any more than mine for us to play a game of golf together??? (noting as well, that culturally, Kh Sajja being older, he should be paying for both of us, so would be insulted if I offered to pay for him)

in response to the OP... having a different price for Kh Sajja's family and mine wouldn't affect my decision to come to Thailand so long as I felt I received a fair price... and it stacked up against other options...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Your not a resident of Thailand, i am but i still pay the same foreigner price. I could show my Thai drivers license... but to no avail. I would have to pay an extra 10.000 a year to get in at thai prices (its a special card)

I can understand it a lil bit if they select on residents and non residents ( i still find it disgraceful ) but now its just plain racist.

Anyway just agree to disagree you see it your way i see it my way.

Afew years ago I took some Thais to a Park in Chiangrai Provence and I was asked to pay a higher price to enter the park than the Thais. I asked the attendant why I have to pay more. He said that all National Parks are maintained by Thai peoples Taxes so they are only charged a small fee and tourists pay a little exrta as they dont contribute any tax money for the Parks.

I totally agree with that and also it is a trivial amount to whinge about.

Most thai's dont pay tax and i payed loads more tax (thai tax) than them and still could not go in at a thai price. So that a bullshit explanation. I don't attack you but i mean the park's attendant explanation.

Your not a resident of Thailand, i am but i still pay the same foreigner price. I could show my Thai drivers license... but to no avail. I would have to pay an extra 10.000 a year to get in at thai prices (its a special card)

I can understand it a lil bit if they select on residents and non residents ( i still find it disgraceful ) but now its just plain racist.

To be fair, the arguement in to title is about tourists, and I am saying double pricing is of no concern... all a tourist cares about is value for money, not equality with their host... the value might change as wealthy tourists choose better value or more exciting destinations, and are replaced with less wealthy tourists (e.g. Russians)... someone living in Thailand for a long time isn't a tourist, they are a resident, regardless of what Visa they are using at that time...

Anyway just agree to disagree you see it your way i see it my way.
I do see your point, especially concerning foreign residents Vs foreign tourists, but I think that is handled OK with the exemption for those with a Th Drivers Licence or Work Permit (I don't know about the 10,000THB card)...

I just think the link of everything expat residents of Thailand don't like to declining tourist numbers is faulty... 10 Baht on the Baht Bus... tourism will fall... limited number of entries on a tourist visa, tourism will fall... crackdown on Ladyboys in Phuket, tourism will fall... some overcharging for Taxi's at Swampy, tourism will fall... drinks prices and bar fines going up... tourism will fall... BiB fining riders for breaking the law, tourism will go down...

As a (frequent) tourist I believe that most tourists are unaware or unfazed by these things...

If you can believe it, most people I talk to are most concerned about bombings (due to reporting of the troubles in The South), riots (due to reporting of the, well riots, of the Red Shirts)... the cost relative to going to Fiji or Bali... The hassle factor compared to going to Europe... and the image compared to going to Vietnam of South America...

I think the biggest factor that will affect Thailands tourism in the near future, is the price... in many ways, Thailand is very expensive for accommodion and food drinks (at the resorts sold to tourists overseas)...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Daewoo,

I have stated in earlier posts too that its not a major concern of tourists that come her for the first time. But once they know they do hate it. The moment i tell the tourist what it is about they generally are appalled by it.

I doubt like you that it affects tourism much.

Daewoo,

I have stated in earlier posts too that its not a major concern of tourists that come her for the first time. But once they know they do hate it. The moment i tell the tourist what it is about they generally are appalled by it.

I doubt like you that it affects tourism much.

So we agree on some stuff, and have different points of view on others... I can live with that...

Why people keep bringing USA and Canada up I don't know - if you don't like their dual pricing, go to USAVISA.COM or CANADAVISA.COM and start a thread!

Does it affect tourism, no I would say not - even the word of mouth and repeat visitors really - I have never been to any country where there wasn't something that pissed me off, and as a tourist it is chump change. As an expat its totally different.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again - it would take a very short amount of time and could even make a tidy little country wide profit if we were allowed to purchase temporary ID cards with our Visas/extensions/renewals etc - and make a small amendment in law that says a resident is officially someone with a Thai citizenship or a valid temporary ID card. Then we would all be residents for the term of our Visas (subject to a charge of course). Then anyone without either card pays full fare - sign could say "Thai ID Card Holders 40B - Non-Card Holders 400B" or whatever - it would be easier to check, cause much less resentment and would catch all the Thai-looking visitors that are getting through too (which is bound to be far more than the odd farang expat who would have voided the place anyway).

It could also help with lots of other things such as 90 reporting, police ID (not having to carry your passport etc) and with checking overstays, opening bank accounts, statistics, and so on...

Why people keep bringing USA and Canada up I don't know - if you don't like their dual pricing, go to USAVISA.COM or CANADAVISA.COM and start a thread!

Does it affect tourism, no I would say not - even the word of mouth and repeat visitors really - I have never been to any country where there wasn't something that pissed me off, and as a tourist it is chump change. As an expat its totally different.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again - it would take a very short amount of time and could even make a tidy little country wide profit if we were allowed to purchase temporary ID cards with our Visas/extensions/renewals etc - and make a small amendment in law that says a resident is officially someone with a Thai citizenship or a valid temporary ID card. Then we would all be residents for the term of our Visas (subject to a charge of course). Then anyone without either card pays full fare - sign could say "Thai ID Card Holders 40B - Non-Card Holders 400B" or whatever - it would be easier to check, cause much less resentment and would catch all the Thai-looking visitors that are getting through too (which is bound to be far more than the odd farang expat who would have voided the place anyway).

It could also help with lots of other things such as 90 reporting, police ID (not having to carry your passport etc) and with checking overstays, opening bank accounts, statistics, and so on...

What an excellent idea!

I STILL say..."So what."

Cela n'a rien a voir avec la Thailande :)

เข้าใจ

Sorry but Thai driving licence already does this.

I travel on internal flights, just show driving licence.

Bank accounts, hotel rooms, parks, all same same.

I don't take my passport anywhere inside the country.

I'm not convinced most Thais (including police) differentiate between a Thai Driving licence and a Thai ID card. Education out here is not spectacular.

This whole nonsense about Thai driver's license is simply not true. Once in a while it works at some places. The vast majority of the time it does not. I pay more in tax to the Thai government than the monthly average Thai salary, while at the same time my monthly salary is but a pittance to many Thai people. In fact, a recent study, whose results are summarized in a Nation editorial, indicates that only 5 million Thai people pay any tax whatsoever. I've shown my work permit, tax id card, driver's license, speak Thai (both humbly and not so). It's really hit and miss. And it is offensive.

Edited by way2muchcoffee