Modified Thai Bikes And Registration/green Books

mixed

I'd like to talk about green book/registration of Thai bikes modified as dirt bikes.

A knowledgeable Thai mechanic suggested getting the transfer papers signed and keeping reg up to date, but no worrying about transferrring as it would never pass the roadworthy.

Every other Thai I've spoken says this is a silly idea, because once the bike is modified it's basically illegal anyone. They say the old green book and a receipt from the former owner is good to prove the bike wasn't stolen.

I realize that the modifications make the bike unroadworthy. In Australia if a dirt bike is registered but unroadworthy (no indicators, mirrors etc.) the police/rangers will leave you alone unless you don't go riding around town.

I plan on riding enduro, so at times would be on dirt roads.

So I was thinking it'd be worthwhile having the insurance and reg up to date, particularly if I was stopped by the BiB or in an accident.

What are others thoughts? Thais say it's a silly idea, but they have no idea of precaution and unregistered bikes are the norm in small villages.

I'd like to talk about green book/registration of Thai bikes modified as dirt bikes.

A knowledgeable Thai mechanic suggested getting the transfer papers signed and keeping reg up to date, but no worrying about transferrring as it would never pass the roadworthy.

Every other Thai I've spoken says this is a silly idea, because once the bike is modified it's basically illegal anyone. They say the old green book and a receipt from the former owner is good to prove the bike wasn't stolen.

I realize that the modifications make the bike unroadworthy. In Australia if a dirt bike is registered but unroadworthy (no indicators, mirrors etc.) the police/rangers will leave you alone unless you don't go riding around town.

So I was thinking it'd be worthwhile having the insurance and reg up to date, particularly if I was stopped by the BiB or in an accident.

What are others thoughts? Thais say it's a silly idea, but they have no idea of precaution and unregistered bikes are the norm in small villages.

I understand your thoughts of precaution,not only in villages but in large towns. YOU are farang for the little money that it will cost keep the insurance and reg up to date.

Thoughts.. You will never get clear answers on this as its a grey area and will always be open to interpretation.

Theres levels of illegal.. No plate or book, no tax, AND not roadworthy is very illegal, here on phuket the lack of plate would mean you probably lost the bike not just paid a fine and got it back.. Then same bike with plate and book, but missing lights etc would be a fine, for the lack of signals and lights, but it IS allowed on the road as its licensed and taxed, its just like a car with the bulb burnt out. This could be ridden around cautiously with the odd few 100 baht to coppers if they see and catch you.

One problem is to get the bike taxed annually it needs to pass a road inspection, these used to be a total joke, no one even looked at it.. couple of months ago I put tax on 2 bikes and the car and as its over x amount of years old (5 ??) I had to take it to the testing station where they did the full number, emissions, noise equip from a set distance, all lights brake testing kit etc took about 1/2 hour. I was shocked, one of the bikes the front brake didnt light the brake light and while he still passed the bike, he was quite clear that this was broken, it had to be fixed and he expected me to fix it right away if he let me have a pass cert. The whole thing was a proper road inspection !!

Now I am sure come back alley inspection shop will look the other way for a few 100 baht, but if its a full on dirt bike that gets harder, and may not happen forever. So the paying of annual road tax to keep the plate legit might be harder in the future. I understand if the road tax is out of date for 3 years you lose your plate (mate just found this out the hard way).

^ This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I'll keep it registered as long as possible.

It's common for Thai riding Enduro not to have registration, sometimes they are riding bikes worth over 100k. Even though there out in the bush, there still on public roads but don't seem to be worried about the possibility of losing their bike.

I had an inspection done and the only thing they tested was the noise and emission levels, didn't even touch the lights.

The noise level can't exceed 100 db's, my NSR 150 hit around 86 db's idling.

Don't know what the specs were for emissions, but this 1996 2 stroke was able to pass.

I had an inspection done and the only thing they tested was the noise and emission levels, didn't even touch the lights.

The noise level can't exceed 100 db's, my NSR 150 hit around 86 db's idling.

Don't know what the specs were for emissions, but this 1996 2 stroke was able to pass.

It will be interesting to see what happens in a few years with the 2ts, because apparently for imported bikes only fuel injected bikes can pass.

However the type of mods I'm talking about are completely unaccaptable.

I was told by someone that modifications could be registered, to make bike 100% legal. This would mean dual purpose tires, quiet pipe and lights and mirrors.