Air Asia X

MrSpike

I flew Air Asia X in September from Stansted (London) to Phuket (via Kuala Lumpur)

It took a bit of shuffling of dates and flight times to get the connections right. They say they're a point to point carrier and do not guarantee connections, so I booked flights that had around 5 or 6 hours between them to make sure any delays wouldn't mess things up too much.

Usual low-cost carrier things like, pay £5 (in advance online) per flight leg for check in baggage, choose your seat and order meals, so you need to factor all that in to find out if you're really saving as much as you think.

I travelled with hand luggage only and was a bit nervous because I've seen threads about weighing hand luggage and refusing to take anything over 7kg (mine must have been at least 12) I did see them weigh hand luggage but the only refusals I saw were people who had lots of check in luggage too. They were told to spread the extra around their checked luggage and pay the excess fees.

In London they asked me if I had any check in luggage and when I said no they just waved me through. I got a bit nervous in KL as they had Air Asia staff before the security scanners stopping people, checking their boarding passes and weighing their carry on bags, but on the boarding pass it shows if you have checked in luggage and I reckon when they see a 'zero' they don't bother weighing it. Presumably because the total weight you're taking on the flight is ok if you don't have checked bags?

Anyway, they didn't weigh mine and it was all pretty smooth going. Their staff were all polite and helpful. 13 hours in a plane is still unpleasant but

considering I saved around £200 (compared to my previous flight with Thai airways) and all the flights left and arrived when they said they would, I would use them again

LCCT in KL was ok, plenty of food outlets, money exchange facilities decent comfy (ish) chairs etc. Immigration was quick and painless (90 day permission to stay in Malaysia even though I was only staying a few hours)

You have to walk from the gate to the plane which is a bit of a trek depending on where the plane is berthed but boarding was all pretty painless too.

All in all value for money.

Hope this helps.

We recently flew from Bangkok to Bali and back with Air Asia X. No complaints, good service, punctual and we had checked baggage which was weighed but our carry on baggage was not.

Bangkok to Bali is not Air Asia X but Thai Air Asia using A320 aircraft.

We recently flew from Bangkok to Bali and back with Air Asia X. No complaints, good service, punctual and we had checked baggage which was weighed but our carry on baggage was not.
Bangkok to Bali is not Air Asia X but Thai Air Asia using A320 aircraft.

FYI, it's also AK – AirAsia and QZ – Indonesia AirAsia, not just FD – Thai AirAsia.

Have flown the KL to Stansted route with a cheap connection to Bangkok 3 times. Always on time. Very friendly staff.

Recently they seemed to have jacked up the prices or the cleverer punters are nabbing all the cheaper seats months in advance. So look to buy your seat 5 months or more in advance if you want the competitive deals.