Canon 5d Mk11.......

The Vulcan

My! you have a good camera there! :D

I think you should be very careful when it comes cleaning... especially internally, as you can scratch very easily... :)

If I remember from reading my manual (well glanced through it... who reads manuals?) It says that it should be done by Canon ...

I had my lenses & D30 sent up to BKK to Canon HQ, they cleaned & repaired as needed... told me one lens not worth fixing... It took about 2 weeks & did not cost that much. ... cannot remember now, how much.

I also have the newer 500D, it tells me when I shut off, it is cleaning the sensor... how well, I am not sure, but it's still fairly new & I do try to keep it free of dust etc.

Obviously, protect the camera as well as you can, so as to avoid internal or even external dust etc!

My! you have a good camera there! :D

I think you should be very careful when it comes cleaning... especially internally, as you can scratch very easily... :)

If I remember from reading my manual (well glanced through it... who reads manuals?) It says that it should be done by Canon ...

I had my lenses & D30 sent up to BKK to Canon HQ, they cleaned & repaired as needed... told me one lens not worth fixing... It took about 2 weeks & did not cost that much. ... cannot remember now, how much.

I also have the newer 500D, it tells me when I shut off, it is cleaning the sensor... how well, I am not sure, but it's still fairly new & I do try to keep it free of dust etc.

Obviously, protect the camera as well as you can, so as to avoid internal or even external dust etc!

I don't have the MK11 (yet) - still using the MK1, but I'm investigating the effectiveness or otherwise of the self cleaning mechanism that the MK1 doesn't have

I have a 1d Mk 3 which I suspect has a similar, or maybe inferior given it is older, cleaning system. Never had to manually clean the sensor, and it has been exposed to some muck and dust at times....

Remind me not to buy any used camera gear from you! :)

I have a 1d Mk 3 which I suspect has a similar, or maybe inferior given it is older, cleaning system. Never had to manually clean the sensor, and it has been exposed to some muck and dust at times....

Just stick it under the shower and wash it off! The dust didn't worry the body which is fully sealed. But my 24-105 lens has a slightly gritty action now, so don't buy that off me! It was Indian rally car dust and there was a lot of it. The mark IV looks good, but the price is ridiculous.

Just stick it under the shower and wash it off! The dust didn't worry the body which is fully sealed. But my 24-105 lens has a slightly gritty action now, so don't buy that off me! It was Indian rally car dust and there was a lot of it. The mark IV looks good, but the price is ridiculous.

Latest reports state that both Kodak and Canon (and presumably more to come) are showing significant drops in sales BUT (in Canons case) increased profits.

At the prices tagged to their latest gear I ain't surprised!

I see the market (and the evidence is there already) shifting to these pro-sumer high IQ compacts - LX3, GF-1 etc

p.s. Only good thing is it's beginning to make my film costs look plausible :D

Edited by The Vulcan

on my 40d there is a cleaning technology similar to other canon cameras, unfortunately it removes only the smallest dots, the big ones need to be manually cleaned. Fortunately the canon service at mbk is fast and convenient 300 and something baht and in 1 hour is cleaned.