Thinking Of Moving To Thailand (pattaya)

ralston3057

Hello all,

I recently just returned from Pattaya. I vacationed there for 1 month (September 7 to October 7). I stayed at secrets for 1 week at an English place on Soi 6 for 3 days, and at P72 for the remainder of my time. To say that I absolutely loved it is an understatement. Yes, I went out, drank alot and danced alot and went out with a few ladies.

Anyway, I came home (USA) and have been thinking of moving to Thailand for a year. I talked to the head master at Bangkok Christian College and could be a math teacher there. However, I did not really like Bangkok and would rather stay in Pattaya.

From what I understand, the only thing that I can do in Thailand is teach. I am 34 years old, so, I cannot be a retiree :) Also, not financially ready for that. In the states, I am a licensed professional engineer (structural) and do pretty well over here. I could not be an engineer in Thailand b/c there are Thai Engineers.

I have money saved, so, finances are not a problem. I just need to work while I am there otherwise I will probably go crazy, drink too much and become an alcoholic :D

What do Expats who live in Thailand do for a living (to make money)? Teach? Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

There is no reason why you could not be an engineer here, Thai companies need expats in senior positions to give them credibility and they could easily get around the rules stating that a Thai could not do your specific job.

I am a manger for an inspection company dealing with oil and gas, petrochemicals and mining firms. I travel alot but reside in Thailand, work for a Thai company and pay Thai taxes (alot). I really wouldn't recommend the teaching route unless you could live off quite a modest income. Get yourself registered with some recruitment firms here - google it and you will find some, JobsDB (I think) is quite a big one over here.

I'm the mechanical manufacturing manager for a multinational with a new factory here. While most of my engineers are Thai, we have almost all expats in management on 2 or 3 year contracts. QED is quite correct - you can likely find a company here that needs your skills and will help with a work permit in your field of expertise.

Good luck.

I just need to work while I am there otherwise I will probably go crazy, drink too much and become an alcoholic

Correct, that is all too easy a road to go down however there are plenty of things to do in Thailand, an Pattaya, that do not lead you to the bar.

There is no reason why you could not be an engineer here, Thai companies need expats in senior positions to give them credibility and they could easily get around the rules stating that a Thai could not do your specific job.

Check out also the oil and gas business contractors operating in Thailand. Although, cost wise, they prefer Thai engineers most still need expats for training and as front men in front of international clients.

I just need to work while I am there otherwise I will probably go crazy, drink too much and become an alcoholic

Correct, that is all too easy a road to go down however there are plenty of things to do in Thailand, an Pattaya, that do not lead you to the bar.

Check out also the oil and gas business contractors operating in Thailand. Although, cost wise, they prefer Thai engineers most still need expats for training and as front men in front of international clients.

All,

Thank you for the information. I will look at the Jobs DB website. I am a Structural Engineer and worked in the A/E side (buildign design), Nuclear Power Plant Modifications, and Forensic Engineering.

Thanks for the information. If you know of any companies looking for a Structural Engineer, please post. I have a bachelors and masters in Structural Engineering. Thanks. Also, have done alot of dynamic analysis (response spectra method).

Thanks.

Hello all,

I recently just returned from Pattaya. I vacationed there for 1 month (September 7 to October 7). I stayed at secrets for 1 week at an English place on Soi 6 for 3 days, and at P72 for the remainder of my time. To say that I absolutely loved it is an understatement. Yes, I went out, drank alot and danced alot and went out with a few ladies.

Anyway, I came home (USA) and have been thinking of moving to Thailand for a year. I talked to the head master at Bangkok Christian College and could be a math teacher there. However, I did not really like Bangkok and would rather stay in Pattaya.

From what I understand, the only thing that I can do in Thailand is teach. I am 34 years old, so, I cannot be a retiree :D Also, not financially ready for that. In the states, I am a licensed professional engineer (structural) and do pretty well over here. I could not be an engineer in Thailand b/c there are Thai Engineers.

I have money saved, so, finances are not a problem. I just need to work while I am there otherwise I will probably go crazy, drink too much and become an alcoholic :D

What do Expats who live in Thailand do for a living (to make money)? Teach? Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

The above advise is spot on. Besides staying on Soi 6, P72 and Secrets and talking to the head master of Bangkok Christian College I would like to know what part of the bible you were discussing? :):D