Expat Architects Working In Thailand

I have just read in the 'Your Money' section of the Bangkok Posts that the architecture profession in Thailand is to be opened up internationally. I wonder does anyone know if this means architects could more easily work legally in Thailand.

Joe

Don't recall reading that but tend to give it a miss as have found most items in that section of the Bangkok Post seem to be written to make your money there money and usually nothing more than advertising copy. As believe that is a Monday page wonder if you are early or late?

FYI: there is a push to reform many laws and expect there will be major changes shortly so we should probably keep eyes open. Bangkok Post is often used as a sounding board and half what they report as close to law never sees the light of day.

I have just read in the 'Your Money' section of the Bangkok Posts that the architecture profession in Thailand is to be opened up internationally. I wonder does anyone know if this means architects could more easily work legally in Thailand.

Joe

One of Thailand's most famous architects is an American: Robert Boughey. You ought to be able to find him easily enough since he's quite high profile and his office is out in the Sukhumvit area.

Why don't you give him a ring and ask what he thinks? He's a very pleasant and approachable guy.

Out of curiosity. why are the foreign language bookshops in Bnagkok, full, and I mean absoultely full, of architecture and design books. No complaints, but there seems to be a much higher proportion of such books than in Western shops. Are there many architects based in Bangkok or is it just a local pre-occupation with design?

mooping, there is definitely a deep fascination for design in Thailand, be it professionally induced or otherwise. one of the greatest things about Thai people and its culture is the appreciation for aesthetic details and the attention they pay to artistic presentation, be it applied through traditional crafts or even pop culture.

having said that, there is a large amount of creative work going on in the city, not all of which is immediately apparent to the casual observer. for a start there are legions of interior design professionals doing the many projects that are now brought about by the revived economy, someone has to fit out all the new hotels, serviced residences, condominiums, private homes, offices, retail spaces, restaurants and bars etc, and design inspiration is crucial since no two places should look the same.

there are also lots of design students from the various technological institutes and design schools that look to these bookstores as a major source of reference material. design content, because of its graphic format, is still best propogated in hard copy, as opposed to other sources of information and knowledge that have developed alternative channels of distribution through the internet and etc.

Edited by thedude