Rakesh Saxena Arrives At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

Two incidents I recall at the time of his escape and later

1. When he was caught he was beside his car with a trunkful of money (in Canada) and two high ranking BIB's were with him and had arrived unofficially.

2. When the RCMP sent an officer here, he was a Corporal, to interface with umpteen bemedalled generals, which he did very adequately.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RETURN OF SAXENA

No political interference in Saxena case : PM

By The Nation

Abhisit said the prosecution of the Indian-born financier Rakesh Saxena would be based on the rule of law, freed from political meddling.

Does he mean

freed by political meddling or

free of political meddling

Newin must be nervous...

Thanks dude007 .........

what if he has prepared a memoir full of facts & names ... will he still be "horizontalised" ??

by any means like falling down the balcony/stairs, another massive & fatal stroke, etc. ??

or maybe choked on kanomjin or poisoned by plaraa in his somtum ... ??

Canadian government & justice system have been VERY FAIR with him, if you follow all

events since his arrest at Whistler, BC. Don't badmouth the Canucks.... !!

( ..... to those whose posting is not based on reality ). Keep your eyes & ears open for the

next act to unfold in front of your eyes.

BBC is Bangkok Bank of Commerce. Sounds a much wanted man, based on what I have read in Wikipedia's entry on him. However, if he is successfully charged and sentenced, will that be the end of his dubious activities, or has organised for someone else to take over his place? Locking up the man, doesn't also automatically lock up his accounts I suspect.

Newin must be nervous...

Thanks dude007 .........

what if he has prepared a memoir full of facts & names ... will he still be "horizontalised" ??

by any means like falling down the balcony/stairs, another massive & fatal stroke, etc. ??

or maybe choked on kanomjin or poisoned by plaraa in his somtum ... ??

Canadian government & justice system have been VERY FAIR with him, if you follow all

events since his arrest at Whistler, BC. Don't badmouth the Canucks.... !!

( ..... to those whose posting is not based on reality ). Keep your eyes & ears open for the

next act to unfold in front of your eyes.

BANG on the money mate, as our American friends say!

1. The Canadians could not have been more fair and square.

2. This man needs a wheelchair like a motorcycle needs an ashtray.

3. Newin is only one of many he could/can/will/maybe bring down.

4. The next act will be the modern equivalent of the many knives in Caesar. This man will NOT "have his day in court" and he knows it. Why do you think he has fought so long to stay away?

5. 'Horizontalized' or 'Defenestrated' (Kojak), he is history already.

Mark (Anthony) my words...........

Update:

Saxena just arrived with a different flight than announced, TG615.

Not been seen yet according to Thai TV channel TNN.

Vancouver newspapers have coverage of Saxena's deportation.

Vancouver Sun story

www.vancouversun.com/news/Fugitive+financier+Saxena+arrives+back+Thailand+from+Vancouver/2163191/story.html

The Vancouver Province devotes a full page to his deportation, reporting that he was staying in a "court sanctioned $50,000 a month home prison".

He allegedly embezzled $88 million from the Bangkok Bank of Commerce, leading to the bank's collapse and triggering the 1997 Asian financial crisis. That's quite a claim to fame!

The Province notes that "Saxen'a sojourn in Canada has been marked by legal watersheds and has exposed the nation's painfully slow extradition process".

Looks like Saxena is going to be a tough character to prosecute. Good luck to the Thai authorities in dealing with him.

So what will happen if his case runs out in 1.5 year and the judicial process has not yet been finished? His case will most probably collapse. That is of course what the government really wants. The man is extradited to the great efforts of the Thaksin government. After all he fled under Chuan as PM and lots of politicians have very dirty hands.

It will be interesting to see what the Thai authorities do with Rakesh after 13 years. Whether or not he will suffer the same fate like his boss Krirkkiat Jalichandra (a former BBC executive) is anyone's guess. Mr. Jalichandra has already been found guilty on several embezzlement charges and faces a lenghty prison sentence along with a 3 billion baht fine. As if that wasn't enough, there are several cases still pending against him in court.

Congratulations to the Thailand government for their persistance. It is unfortunate Thailand does not have similar laws to China for handling mass embezzlers. These people destroy the lives of hundreds of hard working people and should be treated accordingly.

Two incidents I recall at the time of his escape and later

1. When he was caught he was beside his car with a trunkful of money (in Canada) and two high ranking BIB's were with him and had arrived unofficially.

2. When the RCMP sent an officer here, he was a Corporal, to interface with umpteen bemedalled generals, which he did very adequately.

Me think's the Cpl was over-qualified compared to the nepotisumn prevelent in Thai society!8_1_252.gif

You must be naive about Canada. Canada has high record of human rights, simply letting him back to Thailand without enough evidence that he would be safe there will become very important consideration in Canadian legal systems. We are not like American that simply go to war again other nations. You can kill thousand of Arabs but you do not think they are worth anything expect American lives. For Canadian, every single life is important to us regardless your nationality. This is Called demoncracy, which you may not have the same value like Canadian. After all you are American. No Wonder!

"fighted" extradition?! Well, I read in the Bangkok Post that he "fought" extradition for 13 years!!! 13 years!!! What is wrong with the court system in Canada?! This guy must have run to Canada with millions of dollars. Must have been able to pay some good attorneys and maybe some judges. Maybe convicted criminals are those charged should quit fleeing to England with all their money and go to Canada instead.

Just a sic old man that wants to die near his family. Or his family wants to be near. His days are coming to an end :)

Any way slinging accusations is a cheap shot, the trials are not over neither is the investigation. The rich get caught up in Mafia schemes too, by the time they find out it is usually too late. :D

I don't know if he really is the central guilty party, or even guilty the hordes of mafia from the needles to finished product is rife and full of different gangs, politicians, cab drivers, tuktuk drivers, motorcycles that do delivery and pickup. Being rich does not make you guilty

IMHO, I think that nobody on Thaivisa should point their finger and say "Guilty" before the due process is complete that goes for our expat and Thai members as well, that is of course unless you know for sure and were involved :D

Edited by meelousee

The photo was taken by a Nation reporter who is accompanying him on the plane to Bangkok.

We have a reporter on the same plane, so please stay tuned with us for constantly updated coverage of an arrival that will surely add more spice to the already boiling hot local politics.

The standard of reporting at the Nation is atrocious! Not that there's much competition, but seriously- who would pay money to read that drivel?

SAXENA RETURN

The flight home that will trigger new war

By Rattapol Siribul

On board Flight TG615

Over a decade of legal battles ended in a flight back to Thailand yesterday that promised a new chaper in the showdown between Rakesh Saxena and his Thai pursuers.

He barely spoke any word on the second and last leg of the unwanted journey. But the images of Saxena slumped in wheelchair at airports as he embarked on the unpleasant journey home may have belied hidden belligerence.

Theprovince.com, a Canadian news website, reported as his plane took off from Vancouver that he had told one of its reporters he had "information that would be quite damaging to some powerful people" in Thailand.

Those are the words several current and former Thai politicians would not want to hear.

But with his highly effective lawyers landing on the Thai soil in a seperate flight, Saxena is all set to defend himself against Thai authorities' revitalised legal campaign against him.

Being the only reporter on board Flight TG617, which departed Beijing for Bangkok yesterday afternoon after the Vancouver flight landed in the Chinese city, I was told by Thai officials Saxena's doctors didn't want him to talk to virtually anyone, for fear it might increase his stress.

Photo taking was also forbidden, but I managed to take a couple of shots.

Sitting at the back of the plane, he looked a bit tired and concerned, but overall quite composed. He ate some airline foods and spent most of the rest of the time closing his eyes.

From some of those who accompanied him, Saxena hadn't been sure how the Canadian Supreme Court verdict would turn out.

Once his chance of appeal was legally dismissed, he was taken from his home almost immediately to the airport by the police already guarding his home.

Having contributed to Canada's longest extradition saga, the former banker will have to play a different game here in Thailand, and how much he would "politicise" his case remains to be seen.

Thai authorities' immediate task was to decide where to keep Saxena. One hour after Flight TG615 landed at 10.20 pm at the Suvarnabhumi Airport, he was whisked to the Crime Suppression headquarters.

At press time, though, nobody was certain where he was going to spend the first night - a small cell at the Crime Suppression headquarters that had just one clean little bed and a fan (dubbed a haunted room because one inmate had died there), or a bigger, well-equipped room at the Police Hospital boasting a microwave among other furniture.

Doctors were to play a big role in determining where he stayed the first night, and whether he was strong enough to be immediately interrogated.

Wherever he ended up spending the night, though, it would be a far cry from his glass-and-marble home-prison, across the river from Vancouver International Airport.

The Province said Saxena spent the last few years amid his books on Marxism, piles of legal papers and boxes of cigarettes - all of which were surrounded by a ring of air-purifier machines.

While many Thais will cringe on seeing him return, others will be glad.

Wisit Ratanarak, 47, a former lending employee of BBC, recalled the tough time when the BBC was closed.

He said none of the employees knew of the fraud and they were simply told to clear their work three months before the closure. He returned to Ubon Ratchathani and became a socks vendor after failing to get another job.

"Many of us were affected by the case. Some were divorced or died of stress, while others went bankrupt. And some remain unemployed," he said.

Saxena only attracted mild attention from passengers on Flight TG615, but he will be a big focus of political attention in the next few days.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/31

gallery_327_1086_1064.jpg

Rakesh Saxena waits at Bejing Airport en route to Thailand after Canadian court agreed to Thai request to extradite him.//Rattapol Siribul

gallery_327_1086_8387.jpg

Indian Rakesh Saxena waits at Bejing Airport en route to Bangkok after Canadian court agreed to Thai request to extradited him to Thailand to face charges of embezzlement.//Rattapol Siribul

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/31

"fighted" extradition?! Well, I read in the Bangkok Post that he "fought" extradition for 13 years!!! 13 years!!! What is wrong with the court system in Canada?! This guy must have run to Canada with millions of dollars. Must have been able to pay some good attorneys and maybe some judges. Maybe convicted criminals are those charged should quit fleeing to England with all their money and go to Canada instead.

He was paying over C$40,000.00 a month for the special bake arrangements that he was on :)

Is it true that the BBC bank/Saxena lent out lots of money to politicians without collateral?

Do you mean BCCI?

No he means what he said BBC, and for you of so little knowlege it is "bangkok bank of commerce" :)

And the collapse of this bank set in motion the finacial crash of 1997 which went on to reverberate right throughout SE Asia :D

BBC is Bangkok Bank of Commerce. Sounds a much wanted man, based on what I have read in Wikipedia's entry on him. However, if he is successfully charged and sentenced, will that be the end of his dubious activities, or has organised for someone else to take over his place? Locking up the man, doesn't also automatically lock up his accounts I suspect.

If someone does take over from him it won't be with the BBC. The bank has been closed for more than twelve years.

So what will happen if his case runs out in 1.5 year and the judicial process has not yet been finished? His case will most probably collapse. That is of course what the government really wants. The man is extradited to the great efforts of the Thaksin government. After all he fled under Chuan as PM and lots of politicians have very dirty hands.

He didn't flee during the time when Chuan was PM. He was out of the country in July 1997 and never returned to Thailand.

Chuan became PM (for the 2nd time) in November of 1997

"Big Jiew" Chavalit Yongchaiyudh was PM in July of 1997

So, '"mythbuster' you have been "busted again" :)

And finally "may he rot in he11"

Wheelchair or no wheelchair he doesn't or shouldn't expect any sympathy.

The scumbag gave no consideration to the many thousands of Thai's who lost money, nor for the financial aftermath of which he will always be remembered.

In the days leading up to 02 July 1997 the SET was hovering aroung 1400. It has never revovered and only rarely has it ever gone above 700 in the days, weeks and years since July 1997. On Thursday 29th "two days ago" it was 690.10.

In China he would face a firing squad and die like the dog that he is.

Edited by john b good

Not an isolated case in Canada (my country) I'm afraid. Brian Mulroney, a former Prime Minister who is known to have accepted bribes, "fighted" his detractors for years, and is still free. To my knowledge he has never even been charged. Conrad Black, a newspaper magnate who defrauded his shareholders and looted a series of companies, would probably still be free today if he had not listed his company on the NYSE. He fighted and he losed.

If you have enough money, the wheels of Canadian justice turn sloooooooowly....

you should care about whats wrong with YOUR system that allow childrens to be execute\d in your barbaric state !!!

but what toe xpect from someone from the land of them Bush!! :)

So we can now expect the name 'Saxena' to compete with 'Thaksin' for headlines, at least for a few weeks. I wonder if T likes it or not. On the one hand, T thrives on having his name stay in the headlines. So now we have the sensationalist tabloids known as Thai newspapers with not one, but two aging corrupt men hogging the headlines. News of uplifting decent people doing good deeds just doesn't sell as many newspapers.

Man money can't buy genes :)

That is a pretty bad looking 57

57, really? I'm 57 and I go climbing up 300' straight-up rock walls with no aid. Yesterday I worked 7 hours with one break, alongside my Akha co-workers, mixing cement and hauling it up a hill to pour a deck. Incidentally, on my Akha workers is a guy in his sixties who never learned to read and can't go in to town because he will forever be 'an illegal' - but he can work hardier and steadier than most 24 yr olds.

Mr. Saxena, if you get out of rat racehole of Bangkok alive, look me up. By then I'll have my modest 'fasting retreat' ready for service. You may have more money than the cumulative amount of 5 million regular Thai people, but you ought to figure out how to spend it on trying to stay healthy.