Looking For Recomendations On Areas For Longer Term Stays/living

crs

Visiting Bangkok soon to check around a few areas with a view to possible longer term stays/relocation. Going to take a look around Sukhumvit as an obvious starter and been told Ari is worth investigating, but wondered if anyone here would care to give some guidance/suggestions... Would be looking for small 1 bedroom apartment - plain and simple does me - as long as I've got internet and the neighbourhood is OK. Ideas on rental prices appreciated. An guides available on the internet for this sort of thing?

Ta for any help. (To be honest, reckon I'll end up in Chiang Mai - but seems daft not to check some parts of Bangkok over before settling on it.)

Figure this sort of Q gets asked plenty but had a trawl through 5 pages in this section and the property one and couldn't find much - no search feature on this forum? Apologies if these stuff is often repeated.

Edited by crs

If you intend to work, then maybe BKK will suit you.

But if you want to absorb the real Thailand may I suggest going north to the CM/CR area (where you can still find houses to rent for ~5000 baht/mo.) or south to the coastal/island areas.

Maybe even Pattaya/Jomtien if you're looking for something more "cosmopolitan"...

Edited by ballzafire

If you intend to work, then maybe BKK will suit you.

But if you want to absorb the real Thailand may I suggest going north to the CM/CR area (where you can still find houses to rent for ~5000 baht/mo.) or south to the coastal/island areas.

Maybe even Pattaya/Jomtien if you're looking for something more "cosmopolitan"...

Yep, will likely head down to Trang after Bk to check out the coastal/island area there.

Haven't been but from the bits I've been told and read, would guess Pattaya isn't really somewhere I'd choose to hang around for too long.

Thanks.

Edited by crs

Ah, Grassshoper.

There are endless opportunities for living in Thailand. All I have explored took me eventually to Esaan in the end. It's all about your likes and dislikes. Pollution in Bangkok or Chaing Mai is horrible if you have breathing problems. Phuket is the star for me, but a little pricey. Love the ocean, need some amenities, that is the place.

Girls. Pattaya has the best selection and everything else. Lived there four years. Cost is same a s Phuket in general for everything. For low budget, Go Udon Thani. Lots of expats, gals, and esaan prices. I live 150 K from there where there is little for entertainment, western food or falangs, but where you can build a 4br house for $30K US or less.

Good luck and enjoy it all

bella

hello...

try mmroomfinder dot com or

9apartments dot com

they have lot's

Cheers for that. Any recommendations on areas to check out? List of popular ex-pat areas maybe?

Depends on what you like to do, but I like the areas around the Huay Kwang and Sutthisan MRT Stations. Easy access to mall type shopping and entertainment at the Thailand Cultural Center and Phahonyothin MRT stations, as well as good local markets and restaurants. Also, easy to go to Sukhumvit or use the BTS at Asoke Station. Prices ranged from 10K and up.

Edited by beechguy

Ban Chang is nice. It's about 40 kilometers from Pattaya and 160 from Bangkok just below Sattahip on your way to Rayong. Many expats who work in Rayong live here, but there is still a shortage of western food and entertainment. I really miss Bangkok though, once you get out of the big city your options for western food and entertainment are very limited. Pattaya is fun but just plain ugly and expensive and not any place you would want to bring a family. Chiang Mai can get downright boring after a few days as can the rest of Isaan.

The areas I would recommend are around the Sala Daeng, Convent, Soi Pipat and Sathorn between Rama 4 and Narathiswat or Laung Suan. Even though Sathorn has lots of traffic on week days the side streets in the area seem less hectic then the streets off Sukhumvit and the first section of Sathorn from Rama 4 to Narasthiwat doesn't have the same traffic problems as Sathorn after you cross Narthiwat.

Thanks to all who've replied so far - great stuff and much appreciated. Plenty to have a look into...

Probably going to have to limit myself to less far flung places for now as can't speak any Thai (and am crap at languages). Will join some courses and do trips to check out less falang'd places in time (on motorbike probably).

I really miss Bangkok though, once you get out of the big city your options for western food and entertainment are very limited. Chiang Mai can get downright boring after a few days as can the rest of Isaan.

Chiang Mai is not in Issan and it has everything Bangkok has - although the nightlife is not as vibrant - but it is a lot less crowded and more pleasant and you get a lot more smiles.

Some folks do not think before they speak.