Buying A New Laptop With Out An Os

ThaiLife

I just spotted a laptop I would possibly like to buy and on the specifications sheet stuck to the laptop under the Operating System it just said

DOS, when I asked about this , the sales guy said that on top of the price for the laptop I had to pay for the operating system, and he gave me these prices..

Windows 7 Starter = 1,990 Baht

Windows 7 Home Basic = 3,990 Baht

Windows 7 Premium = 4,790 Baht

Windows 7 Professional = 6,390 Baht

Windows 7 Ultimate = 8,790 Baht

Its some time since ive bought a new computer, and in the past the OS has all ways been installed as part of the price, is this charging extra for installing an OS in a new well known brand laptop the normal thing now ?

TL

Often you can buy a computer without OS here. And this is good.

Why should I use for instance a Vista when I like XP more? Or why should I buy an OS with the computer if I have one from the old computer? Just waste my money for nothing to make M$ happy?

It is easy to install an OS if you have to buy one extra. The drivers of the OEM OS version you get with a computer are outdated mostly anyway so that you have to download the latest versions from the internet. In addition to this you do not always get the disk for a re-install with the OEM version. That might be a big problem when you need it.

Thanks Guy's , I don't think there's any price difference from looking at other shops where the same laptop is on sale, all the same price Ive had a look at the latest HP brochure and most of the computers shown just say DOS for the OS. selling a computer with out a pre installed OS, feels a bit like selling a new pickup with out a steering wheel, most people I would think just want to buy the computer, switch it on and away they go. Could this not providing an installed OS, be some thing to do with the computer manufactures not having to pay for OS licenses for every computer they sell with a pre installed OS .

this is the laptop I was looking at ..

Picture7-8.png

TL

Selling computers without operating systems is both good and bad. It' probably the main reason why there are so much pirated software going around, but on the other hand it's very handy for those that want to run Linux. In Thailand it's handy because most people seem to be stuck on the idea that Windows XP is still the best operating system (let's not discuss that once again please :) ) and no way will any manufacturer still pre-install Windows XP on anything else than netbooks these days. So people don't have to pay for Vista when they want XP.

Usually it's the cheaper models of each series that come without OS pre-installed, and the more expensive models come with some version of Windows.

It's not the computer stores who decide if the computers come pre-installed or not. If you for example look up the model number for the Compaq you listed, it will be the same in all shops, saying DOS as OS. The OS is pre-installed from the manufacturers and has nothing to do with the stores.

I wonder how many people turn down the offer from the IT shop selling the laptop, and just go next doors to the software seller

and pay 400 Baht for an OS . :)

I got an XP CD from a mate. Installs fine, passes WGA, updates everything from M$ OK. :D

• 1 month later...

In my home country i would prefer a new PC/lappy to be supplied with an OS, here in Thailand i would prefer it wasnt, much much better to pay extra for a legit copy, caveat emptor with Thai supplied operating systems, way way to easy to slip in a keylogger.

Edited by Spoonman