Ten Senior Cops Moved To Inactive Posts

webfact

Ten senior cops moved to inactive

By The Nation on Sunday

Published on November 1, 2009

Ten senior policemen, including a major-general in a metropolitan precinct, were yesterday transferred to inactive posts after a raid on Friday by an anti-vice task force on a gambling den which has long operated in their jurisdiction.

Pol Maj-General Witthaya Rattanawit, chief of Metropolitan Police Division 6, is the most senior of the 10 officers, which include six officers with Phlubphlachai 2 police station.

They have been assigned to job desks at the Metropolitan Police Bureau for 30 days, pending investigation and disciplinary action.

A 100-strong police raid - supported by commandos - on a shophouse netted 246 gamblers and Bt500,000 in cash. The shophouse, located in Soi Texas off Phadungdao Road in Bangkok's Yaowarat area, has reportedly operated for a long time as a card-game den known as Den 369.

The task force also conducted a raid on a den offering online football betting in Bangkok's Huai Khwang district last Saturday, resulting in six senior station officers being transferred and facing a similar fate to those transferred yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/01

What do "inactive post" and "desk job" mean, practically speaking? Will they be given actual work to do, and will they be expected to be productive? Are there any consequences if they are not productive? I'm not so naive as to think that this is a real punishment. I just don't know specifically what these desk jobs consist of.

You ask a good question. I don't know that productivity, in the general sense of the word, is taken into account in the police force at any time.

It is a little hard to measure the productivity of services such as the police. This is especially true when it comes to crime prevention.

What do "inactive post" and "desk job" mean, practically speaking? Will they be given actual work to do, and will they be expected to be productive? Are there any consequences if they are not productive? I'm not so naive as to think that this is a real punishment. I just don't know specifically what these desk jobs consist of.

Walk into a typical government office. The ladies are primping in their pocket mirrors. The guys are playing solitaire on their PC's. The rest are glued to the Thai soaps and talk shows on the blaring TV. The desks are piled chin-high with work that never seems to get done (as a result, it takes three weeks to process a normal 10-minute request form).

Something like that.

As I understand it, a inactive post means

a) you lose the chance to make money on your percentage of fines (legal)

B ) you lose the chance to make significant money by taking money off suspects to drop charges, investigate crimes etc. (illegal)

c) your career goes on hold slowing down your next promotion.

It's all about the patron-client relationship. Once your patron loses his power, all his clients are then sidelined.

It means they are suspended from active duty outside. Now they are inactive penpushers for 30 days whilst under investigation, With possible disciplinary action at a later date.

Not much different to the uk, Except in the uk an officer would get to sit at home on full pay whilst on suspension.

Edited by cyb

Yes , but they still draw their salaries , which achieves exactly what ????????

They only get their salary which hopefully not much compare to all of the other extortions moneys. Most importantly I hope they lose face which probably is very important to them in their culture. GOOD punishment

They only get their salary which hopefully not much compare to all of the other extortions moneys. Most importantly I hope they lose face which probably is very important to them in their culture. GOOD punishment

I wonder if there is a network of patron/client within those on "inactive" duty. There are that many of them. Facebook group of inactive policemen?

How do they introduce themselves? I am Inactive Pol. Capt. Major-General Somchai.

Do they get to wear the uniform whilst actively not performing their duty?Do they lose their profusion of service badges? In which case, are they the cops sitting on Sukhumvit fining people for dropping fags.

Why necessarily do they not get to profit from the extortion money? Would you want a potential tell tale sitting in the corner of the office ruminating about his lost profits?

What is the attitude of "active" officers towards them? I would imagine they are a little pitied.

Since they are inactive, wouldn't that give them more time to pursue other nefarious activity? Full time devotion to extortion as opposed to part time?

Would an active policeman turn down money sourced by an inactive policeman? Doubt it.

Yeah, they do get to draw their full salaries. So they might even be able to pay their electric bills. But not much else. Sittin' by the window is not pleasant for these buffoons.

It means they are suspended from active duty outside.

You mean they are no longer allowed to plod the streets, run after criminals and case various joints of iniquity? Sounds like the crime rate is going to spike until they are back on the beat.

Well, their salaries are only a small fraction of what they can rip off in their normal post. It can also take them out of the regular promotion flow, although that's never certain. If they have the right connections... In this case they are only being moved for 30 days "pending investigation," which means it won't even be noted on their records.

Yeah, they do get to draw their full salaries. So they might even be able to pay their electric bills. But not much else. Sittin' by the window is not pleasant for these buffoons.

If they sit there long enough on just their salary, they may get their Merc repossessed, their mia nio may look for greener pastures, their wife may decide she knows about the mia noi and get a divorce to take the house.

It is a huge disaster for any aspiring officer.

Oh yeah, it is a real punishment,

because it effectively takes them out of the Upstream Tea Money Chain.

No subordinates, thus no percentage going to the boss.

A BIG hit for their retirement fund for sure.

Certainly a few entrenched and indebted underlings still keep

the patronage up, just in case of an eminent return, or just indenturedness,

but not like being head pubah in the generals working chair.

This raid and the changing of seating is not unexpected; a new broom sweeps clean,

and sweeping up opposing patronage and looking pro-active certainly makes it easier

making the top chair permanent.

Edited by animatic

I think they are just saying - they are moving them to inactive posts for the time being - while they are being investigated. inactive posts where they can do no harm or anything.

"They have been assigned to job desks at the Metropolitan Police Bureau for 30 days, pending investigation and disciplinary action."

they need to build a case against them yet.

quote: 'webfact' date='2009-11-01'

Ten senior cops moved to inactive

By The Nation on Sunday

Published on November 1, 2009

Ten senior policemen, including a major-general in a metropolitan precinct, were yesterday transferred to inactive posts after a raid on Friday by an anti-vice task force on a gambling den which has long operated in their jurisdiction.

Pol Maj-General Witthaya Rattanawit, chief of Metropolitan Police Division 6, is the most senior of the 10 officers

unquote

A "crackdown" on "senior cops" seems to be in effect, which is a good thing, given their propensity for shady stuff.

Just a few days ago, there were two very senior cops who didn't get moved to inactive posts, but were instead, outright fired from the police force...albeit for cases involving wanton violence and not for running a gambling den.

OCTOBER 7 CRACKDOWN

Somchai, Chavalit and Patcharawat to face criminal charges

By The Nation

National anti-graft commission will file criminal charges against ex-Premier Somchai Wongsawat, ex-deputy PM Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyudh and Police Chief Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan for their involvement in the October 7 crackdown on yellow shirted protesters.

The NACC also decided to seek both criminal and disciplinary actions against then Metropolitan police chief Pol Lt Gen Suchart Meunkaew.

Police Lt-Gen Suchart Muankaew was fired from the police force yesterday. Police Chief Patchawat was fired from his position in the police force as well earlier.

So now we await the disciplinary/criminal action against the others involved, namely ex-PM Somchai and ex-Deputy PM Chavalit.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3107279

Authorities face disciplinary probe over Udon Thani clashes

The Police Chief, the provincial Governor, and three senior officers from Udon Thani face a disciplinary probe after the National Anti-Corruption Commission said in a report Wednesday that it suspected foul play in the clash between red and yellow shirts last July.

The NACC has found cause to suspect serious violations involving provincial Police Chief Major-General Permsak Paradonsak, NACC member Klanarong Chantik said.

Police Major-General Permsak Paradonsak was fired from the police force yesterday for his involvement in this mayhem.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3107369

Edited by petaling

Here is some secret information for the MIB,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Has been there for a long time, when are the special task forces coming? Ohhh all involved have got their shares, so nobody reports it, sorry!

Corruption at its best.

edited due to safety, hahahaaha

Edited by Master Chief

Maybe they were taking trade away from some other top cop's operation?

I suspect that the rules for BiB are much the same as those that obtain in the City of London. Do not get caught in the act - or everybody will disappear and deny even knowing you.

In western countries, these guys go to prison.

In China, they're shot.

In Thailand you get a cushy, no-work post, and the salary keeps rolling in.

No wonder corruption thrives here. :)

Thank you. And perhaps that is why LOS stands for Lack of Sanctions or Land of Scams.

It means they are suspended from active duty outside.

You mean they are no longer allowed to plod the streets, run after criminals and case various joints of iniquity? Sounds like the crime rate is going to spike until they are back on the beat.

If you believe everything you read about the Thai police would not the unreported crime rate decrease? But many more to take their place. :)

You ask a good question. I don't know that productivity, in the general sense of the word, is taken into account in the police force at any time.

It is a little hard to measure the productivity of services such as the police. This is especially true when it comes to crime prevention.

A desk job means that they wont be out on the street fleecing small businesses therefore the punishment is in the fact they wont be lining their pockets.

A desk job means that they wont be out on the street fleecing small businesses therefore the punishment is in the fact they wont be lining their pockets.

More to the point they lose face, That means in some respects more to thai people than money.

You know they make salaries that follows the lines of 7/Eleven staff for both tellers and managers, basically?

Not that high, so to speak...

In western countries, these guys go to prison.

In China, they're shot.

In Thailand you get a cushy, no-work post, and the salary keeps rolling in.

No wonder corruption thrives here. :)

That is the 'Perception' that the powers to be in Western countires like to paint, but its far from the truth.

I cant speak for all western countries, but I can tell you from personal knowledge and endless examples of this that this type of behaviour is deeply ingrained within some western police forces. Normally the further you go up the ladder through the chain of command the more you find that people in those positions have to hide. Its commonplace to promote people like this as they generally know about the other corrupt practises of their peers and normally when one takes a big fall, many start to tumble.....so they know this and look after each other. If the general public knew exactly how these 'boys clubs' operated there would be massive public upheaval and of course in western societies we like to have public enquiries, royal commissions and the like but its all just one massive road show......an absolute joke. :D

And the police reley on this ambiguity so they can appear to the masses to be doing something. Less specifics the better, that way no one can say anything when these top cops return to normal duty just in a different provence.

I may have just a bit of a jaded view on this, but I think it is just a trading of the person feeding from the trough...

I would bet if we looked back to when Taksin was in power, you would see a large number of people being caught for "stuff" and moved to inactive posts...

Now that the Dems are in charge, they whant to move Taksin's guys out, so they can start feeding at the trough...

I would be surprised if anyone actually goes to jail for anything.. they will most likely just need to wait until the next election and if the reds win, then they will have a chance to move back into an active position and then the money starts rolling in.

That being said... I would be very happy if I am wrong and this is a start of a real crackdown on corrupt cops. If so... new government has my apolgies and I take back the above statements...

Now we just have to wait and see which of the 2 statements above statements is closer to the truth.