Is It Easy For Foreigners To Get A Job In Thailand?

After visiting Thailand twice, I've really fell in love iwth the country and would love to move there. But of course you need a job to do that. I was wondering if it's easy for foreginers to get a job in Thailand (I'm a Pakistani, and of course don't speak Thai). Reason I'm asking is because some countries make it very easy for foreigners to work there, but in most countries the companies aren't too willing to hire foreigners unless really necessary.

Just wondering what's the case in Thailand.

BTW, I work in advertising and also have marketing communication experience (and an MBA). Any luck for guys like me?

After visiting Thailand twice, I've really fell in love iwth the country and would love to move there. But of course you need a job to do that. I was wondering if it's easy for foreginers to get a job in Thailand (I'm a Pakistani, and of course don't speak Thai). Reason I'm asking is because some countries make it very easy for foreigners to work there, but in most countries the companies aren't too willing to hire foreigners unless really necessary.

BTW, I work in advertising and also have marketing communication experience (and an MBA). Any luck for guys like me?

You can try but do not bet the house on it.

That must be possible if you have good communications skills. Anyway that could be not to fast, probably you will need to stay on hold for 2 or 3 months. Mostly to get a good job big luck needed. You just need to be in right place and right time.

Agree, definitely not easy.

But it aint impossible either. Proven by the many foreigners working in Thailand. Most of them are with companies in their home country that transfer them to Thailand.

Don't know add business but i would guess it is mainly local companies with couple of bigger multinationals ? If so, target the multinationals or if there is any Pakistani companies present in Thailand they would be your best bet.

As a Recruitment Consultant working in Thailand, I would say from first hand experience its difficult to find good work in Thailand unless you have extremely specialized skills.

Its a supply and demand basic situation. There is a great supply of even some very highly qualified people desiring to work in Thailand, with a very small demand coming from companies operating here.

The trend for the past few years is to employ local Thai Nationals into positions where traditionally expatriates used to be. Costs are a reason, and also putting Thais into senior positions does help motivate employees and allow people within those companies to see a career path where in the past there were only foreign nationals in senior management.

Its unfortunate as well, the government does not make it easy for companies to employ expats - so this makes opportunities a rarity.

Best advice is to contact a recruitment firm such as (http://www.ssrecruitment.com) and let them work on your behalf. Good recruitment companies will help everyone if they care.

Best of luck..

I honestly think it would be easier and more profitable for you to set up your own business and seek out clients with the same background as you in Thailand.

If you want to find a job, a big jobportal is http://th.jobsdb.com, but as you'll see, most jobs are either advertised in Thai or marketed to 'Thai nationals only'. I believe the work permit rules make it difficult to employ foreigners unless in management positions.

Most expats here are either very long-term Thai residents (often with their own business) or they have been sent here by the Head Office of their current employer. While not impossible, it is often extremely difficult to position expatriates into positions with multinationals here in Thailand. The principal reasons for this are Thailand's protective Labour Laws (a.) for each expat a company must employ 4 Thais. (b.) for each expat the company must have 2 million Baht paid up capital. (c.) For each expat the company must prove to the Labour Dept that there is no Thai that can do the job - i.e. you are more highly qualified than any other Thai for this role. In addition to these legal issues, simple economics play a significant part - expatriates are 5 - 10 times more expensive than Thais so you would need to prove that you could develop revenue streams or cost cutting measures significantly higher than a Thai. With the current economic issues facing Thailand and the world: (a.) many companies have frozen all hiring. (b.) many companies are retrenching staff at all levels. (c.) many expatriates are being returned back to the company's home country or simply retrenched.

That said if you are strongly desirous of living in Thailand you would need to do your job search from here by networking aggressively within the expatriate community - I suggest through the respective foreign Chambers of Commerce. Alternatively, by locating companies in South Asia with Thai operations, you could approach the Head Office directly.

I trust this advice is of some assistance to you.

my son spent two years in Bangkok to study for an MBA.

In the end he had to return homeward penny-less with his fresh married Thai uni girl.

He found a managerial job in his home country within one month and his wife is studying at our local university to get a REAL uni diploma :)

Most expats here are either very long-term Thai residents (often with their own business) or they have been sent here by the Head Office of their current employer. While not impossible, it is often extremely difficult to position expatriates into positions with multinationals here in Thailand. The principal reasons for this are Thailand's protective Labour Laws (a.) for each expat a company must employ 4 Thais. (b.) for each expat the company must have 2 million Baht paid up capital. (c.) For each expat the company must prove to the Labour Dept that there is no Thai that can do the job - i.e. you are more highly qualified than any other Thai for this role. In addition to these legal issues, simple economics play a significant part - expatriates are 5 - 10 times more expensive than Thais so you would need to prove that you could develop revenue streams or cost cutting measures significantly higher than a Thai. With the current economic issues facing Thailand and the world: (a.) many companies have frozen all hiring. (b.) many companies are retrenching staff at all levels. (c.) many expatriates are being returned back to the company's home country or simply retrenched.

That said if you are strongly desirous of living in Thailand you would need to do your job search from here by networking aggressively within the expatriate community - I suggest through the respective foreign Chambers of Commerce. Alternatively, by locating companies in South Asia with Thai operations, you could approach the Head Office directly.

I trust this advice is of some assistance to you.

The only factor for an MNC is the cost. I don't think the other barriers impact them at all.

TH