Hotel Recommendations Needed

retiredat50

I'll be visiting CM for around nine days this month and would like to stay at a couple of different hotels:

- Downtown area, close by to shops, coffee shops and restaurants and priced around $50 / night

- Few miles from downtown and priced around $50 / night

There are plenty of hotels listed on the internet but some personal recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'll be visiting CM for around nine days this month and would like to stay at a couple of different hotels:

- Downtown area, close by to shops, coffee shops and restaurants and priced around $50 / night

- Few miles from downtown and priced around $50 / night

There are plenty of hotels listed on the internet but some personal recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I just have to laugh when you say "downtown area". This is a sleepy little town. I'm not really sure what or where "downtown" is.

It's difficult to think (especially after a few drinks :) ) when you talk in terms of U.S. dollars, since the Thai Baht is the currency here. But USD $50 seems very high to me. There are tons of nice places to stay for far less than that.

Enjoy your visit.

The center of Chiang Mai city is enclosed in a square moat. It is 1.8 km from one side of the moat to the other, or just a tad over a mile. For approximately another mile or two outside the moat is the remainder of the city's core. The airport is in the south west corner of the city and about a mile and a half from the moat. The Ping River flows from north to south along the outer edge of the city, and about a kilometer from the moat. Many of the better hotels are outside the moat area and between the Ping River and the moat. Google Earth will give a pretty good idea of the layout. There are also many map programs that show the various locations of hotels, hospitals, resorts etc.

A lot depends on what you intend to enjoy while in Chiang Mai. There is reasonable accommodation from 350 baht per night upwards to several thousand baht per night. There have been several threads on this topic. The Chiang Mai Gate hotel is just outside the moat and they charge anywhere from 800 baht upwards to about 1500 baht. That includes a buffet breakfast. They are reasonable and clean, but there are MANY different options. I would book for one night at any of the better hotels near the down town core and just walk around to find what might please you more. From what I've heard there are lots of rooms available everywhere.

Sorry, I just have to laugh when you say "downtown area". This is a sleepy little town. I'm not really sure what or where "downtown" is.

You and I have very different ideas of what a sleepy little town is. I would say Mae Sai or possibly Chiang Rai are sleepy, but Chiang Mai is a small, but vibrant city.

Downtown would be from the Night Bazaar to Thapae Gate area in ny mind.

You and I have very different ideas of what a sleepy little town is. I would say Mae Sai or possibly Chiang Rai are sleepy, but Chiang Mai is a small, but vibrant city.

I agree, Mae Sai is a tiny and boring little town for sure. Chiang Rai has its charm but yes, it's quiet late at night. Chiang Mai is indeed a small but vibrant city - or town. And I love it here. :)

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I have to agree there's not much "downtown" but I wasn't sure what to call that area around the night market where things seem to be happening. Really just looking to stay in an area where at least there will be a few bars / coffee shops open after 9pm.

Chiang Mai Gate hotel looks nice. I'll add that to my list of possible hotels and maybe try staying there for the first couple of nights.

How about something like Raming Lodge which is right on Loy Kroh Road, just up from Night Bazaar? Could be good for a singleton, but if you're a family or not into the tarty scene, then probably not the best. Saying that, if you walk out the front door and turn left, you'll miss most of that stuff.

I'd avoid Chiang Mai Plaza if someone mentions it. Although in a good spot and not bad rates, they're decidedly stuffy and don't seem to have much respect for returning customers.

Duangtawan is right by the night bazaar. The rooms are pretty nice and the breakfast buffet is huge and really good.

I think I got a discount last time I stayed there by booking online. They also upgraded my room once.

Only complaint with them is the slow elevators.

I agree, Mae Sai is a tiny and boring little town for sure. Chiang Rai has its charm but yes, it's quiet late at night. Chiang Mai is indeed a small but vibrant city - or town. And I love it here. :)

There are plenty of places in Mae Sai that would be described as far from "boring"

Ya just got to look for them. Or have a guide who has visited many times in the past :D

Duangtawan is right by the night bazaar. The rooms are pretty nice and the breakfast buffet is huge and really good.

I think I got a discount last time I stayed there by booking online. They also upgraded my room once.

Only complaint with them is the slow elevators.

They (the elevators) might just seem slow when you have something hot hanging onto your arm, particularly if you're room is on one of the higher floors :)