Only Igfa Approved Fishing Club In Thailand

McFarang

First Of All I would Like To Thank Jockstar for being the Moderator on the Fishing In Thailand Forum. Us Scots seem to get involved in all sorts of things.

I am a Scot and one of the founding Members of Rawai Beach Fishing Club Thailand stuated on the most southerly tip of Phuket we have been approved by the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) and will be promoting ethical fishing practices and Billfish Release.

We are also going to promote Junior Angling & Ladies Angling. We feel that our Sport as well as being a chance for the male of the household to get away by himself or with his buddies other members of the Family should be able to be introduced to this thrilling sport. After all the British Rod Caught Salmon Record is still held by (A Woman).

Although still in its Embryonic stages (plesae feel free to discuss aspects of your place. But also please observe this rule.)(10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations.) will be up and running soon with a very informative website with fishing tips and advice which I feel will compliment TV Fishing in Thailand Forum.

There is a Clubhouse which is situated within AJ's Bar & Bistro right on Rawai Beach Front overlooking the Longtails and out to the Racha Islands Home to many Sailfish.

Please feel free to pop in and ask for Jay another founder member who would be only happy to help with any fishing queries or share a tall tale of his exploits around the world there will most likely be a few other cronies from South Africa, USA or OZ telling other stories of the one that got away.

We will not only be involved in Bluewater Game Fishing but also Freshwater as Phuket as well as the rest of Thailand has some of the best Freshwaterfishing in the World.

Anyway watch this space and should anybody need any advice just let me know I am afraid that I am in Angola just now (great Fishing) and spend at least 6 months in Rawai more when I retire but Jay at the Clubhouse and eventually when the website is up and running 100% we will have a few of our other experts that will be able to Help not only the Expats but also the Local Members with our International knowledge.

Tight Lines Everybody and Good Luck TV Fishing In Thailand Forum

post-38386-1257253408_thumb.jpg

post-38386-1257253731_thumb.jpg

post-38386-1257253772_thumb.jpg

I'll stop in the next time I'm down that way. Please do one thing thing for us ardent anglers, though.... DON'T LIST LARGE FISH CAUGHT IN PAY FOR PLAY FISHING PONDS AS WORLD RECORDS!!! They aren't!! They are pet fish and are mostly artificially fed. There is a well known Frenchman who does this all the time and it is not only NOT ethical, it destroys the original intention of the IGFA.

I'll stop in the next time I'm down that way. Please do one thing thing for us ardent anglers, though.... DON'T LIST LARGE FISH CAUGHT IN PAY FOR PLAY FISHING PONDS AS WORLD RECORDS!!! They aren't!! They are pet fish and are mostly artificially fed. There is a well known Frenchman who does this all the time and it is not only NOT ethical, it destroys the original intention of the IGFA.

About time someone said that, i call total BS on this kind of thing and cant belive the IGFA stand for it.

Very well said Ian. IGFA's reputation has been badly tarnished after celebrating the capture of pet fish and accepting them as world records. Surely for freshwater world records the fish must be a wild fish and caught in native habitat. How the stocked tame cats and carps for eg. at BungSamLan can be accepted as a record is just mind boggling. When my friend caught one of the monster carp there a few years ago he just took a photo and they put it straight back. Never a seconds thought about claiming a world record. That is the difference between a true fisherman and one that must rely on cheap gimmicks. This recent fraudulent record claiming has been a serious insult for any IGFA record holders.

I hear that IGFA are aware of what has been happening, and are starting to feel the embarrasment.

McFarang, best of luck with your fishing club, looks like a great location.

About time someone said that, i call total BS on this kind of thing and cant belive the IGFA stand for it.

They stand for it becuase it's another $50/$60 (or whatever the application fee is) in their coffers. Although I think before we judge the applicant(s) for these records too harshly you should read the rules for submission. As I stated on one of the other threads touching upon this subject where I think Ian also commented. Fishing Parks are not deemed "sanctuaries" within the IGFA rules, quite to the contrary the fish are there to be targeted by anglers, in fact many of the species (native ones that is) would not be targetable in the wild as they are on the red list of endangered species.

It is not the acceptance of records from fishing parks that I have issue over with the IGFA as it does not breach their own rules, but there has been blatant flouting of their own rules and guidlines in other areas.

Such as it not being permissable to "stage" records. The Giant Mekong Catfish world record went up in convenient (convenient for publicities sake) increments for a number of years, starting at some pathetically low level. Only now (in the last year or two since competition entered the market) has the record risen to a sensible weight. This is true of a number of the native species. Also I have issue with the conflict of interests that someone running a tour company can use what by most (in the know about the Thai Fishing Scene) are recognised as largely meaningless records for the purpose of commercial kudos and gain in such a blatent way, at the expense of every other tour companies standing in the industry. Thirdly there is a rule that says a record submission should not be less then 50% of the species maximum wieght. Well that rule alone will probably rule out vast swaives of the records that had been historically lodged. I believe this rule is their to protect the fish! As it discourages the use of inappropriately light lines, which results in fish coming to harm. Afterall why would you use a 2lb leader to catch a Mekong Catfish (or any other species that grows large) if you knew you couldnt submit a record for a fish any smaller than say 80kg or 100kgs You know you would never land that fish within the rules it would be asn utter waste of time.

At times it seems the IGFA have simply abandoned their ethics, which is why it is my opinion they are a worthless body who dont deserve my membership fee. They have little or know sporting or conservationist credentials at all in Asia, otherwsie they wouldnt allow to go on what has gone on in the past. The excuse of lack of knowledge about this is a poor one, everyone in south east asia knows how big their catfish and carp get and have done for centuries! Yes the IGFA are aware, as they had numeorus complaints (some direct, some indirect) from other tour companies about the situation over the last few years, they don't seem to of acted on it though, so guess they would still rather have their monthly supply of application fees, than change the habits of a lifetime. Although now the vice like grip this situation had us all in has appears finally to have been broken as awareness of the Thai Fishing Scene grows, thanks to forums like this one and others, as well as others fishing trip operators who operate with a bit more integrity.

Edited by rufanuf

• 3 weeks later...