Got My Licence

JusMe

I was into the Rayong Land Transportation Department office today to see about getting my Thai Motorcycle Driver's Licence.

I had all the necessary papers - photocopy of my passport first page, photocopy of my visa page with entry stamp, photocopy of my departure card, photocopy of my Canadian driver's licence (both sides), letter from the embassy showing my address, and medical certificate from local clinic. (and originals, of course)

Got a bit of help - sign here and here and here - and spent a lot of time waiting.

Took the colour test, and the reaction test.

Sat and waited.

Maybe they didn't notice that my Canadian licence was for a car; maybe they didn't care; maybe .....

Had my picture taken, waited a bit, and plop! out came my Temporary Thai Motorcycle Driver's Licence. I'm good for a year, and will head in next November to get the five year one.

Congrats!

But now you'll notice you'll NEVER get pulled over!!!

After I got mine two years ago I think I've been pulled over once. It's almost like I WANT to stop going through a BiB roadblock.

Before I got one, I was pulled over ever week or so...

But still, it's a great thing to have, it even has your passportnr, so if you're flying domestic or going to the bank, you can leave your passport at home.

:)

Drive safe though!

Similar in Phuket. I had an International Driving Permit (car only) that had about a week left on it before it expired. I did an eye test and reaction test, queued for about 2 hours, paid under 200 baht and got a 1 year bike and car licence. Renewed them both last year for a 5 year licence, it took an hour and cost about 1200 baht for both.

I'd been riding off road since I was a 7 or 8 but as far as they knew I'd never even sat on a bike and the next day I could have gone out an legally ridden a ZX10, R1 etc :D

No nanny state in Thailand - gotta love it :)

I was into the Rayong Land Transportation Department office today to see about getting my Thai Motorcycle Driver's Licence.

I had all the necessary papers - photocopy of my passport first page, photocopy of my visa page with entry stamp, photocopy of my departure card, photocopy of my Canadian driver's licence (both sides), letter from the embassy showing my address, and medical certificate from local clinic. (and originals, of course)

Got a bit of help - sign here and here and here - and spent a lot of time waiting.

Sat and waited.

Maybe they didn't notice that my Canadian licence was for a car; maybe they didn't care; maybe .....

Had my picture taken, waited a bit, and plop! out came my Temporary Thai Motorcycle Driver's Licence. I'm good for a year, and will head in next November to get the five year one.

They also accept the Driver's licence as positive ID for you to enter most National Parks and thus pay the same as a Thai citizen, seeing as now your eyes can see what they can see and not discriminated against. Also have used the Driver's licence to go over into Myanmar for shopping (no passport). So it is a very handy document to hold.

Sat and waited.

They also accept the Driver's licence as positive ID for you to enter most National Parks and thus pay the same as a Thai citizen, seeing as now your eyes can see what they can see and not discriminated against. Also have used the Driver's licence to go over into Myanmar for shopping (no passport). So it is a very handy document to hold.

I am aware that many have used the licence for entry to national parks "at Thai rates" but don't see how you have been able to use it to get into Burma.

They either made a mistake or you're being a little bit 'loose' with the truth.

Maybe you might like to share (enlighten us) with just where you crossed over into Burma and when did you do it using your Thai drivers licence :)

Sat and waited.

You say most, but it's not always that easy, I've had to argue for local discount despite having thai drivers license.

But undoubtably good to have.

I'm coming up to my 5 year expiry on my license soon, that should be fun and games...

Sat and waited.

You say most, but it's not always that easy, I've had to argue for local discount despite having thai drivers license.

But undoubtably good to have.

I'm coming up to my 5 year expiry on my license soon, that should be fun and games...

I want to convert mine to a 5 year one, the temporary licence still has 6 months to run. Do you know if it is possible? Leaving here soon and thought it might be handy to leave with the 5 year job.

I want to convert mine to a 5 year one, the temporary licence still has 6 months to run. Do you know if it is possible? Leaving here soon and thought it might be handy to leave with the 5 year job.

Not possible.

From memory, you have to apply for the 5 year licence the day after your 1 year licence expires. You cannot apply for the 5 year licence on or before the actual day your 1 year licence expires.

You are right about having to wait until the one year expires. I tried to go in early and they said no-way. You need all the original paperwork again. The renewal of the five year can be done up to three months in advance but you have to re-test. I'm driving on an expired license until I get my paperwork together. Maybe next week.

Edited by villagefarang

Village Farang,

You said:

You are right about having to wait until the one year expires. I tried to go in early and they said no-way. You need all the original paperwork again. The renewal of the five year can be done up to three months in advance but you have to re-test.

Do you mean that in order to change the one year temporary licence to the five year licence, you've got to have all the original documentation you needed for the one year licence?

And in order to get the five year one renewed, you need a re-test? How can you retest if you've never tested in the first place?

Now you really are getting me confused! :)

Village Farang,

You said:

You are right about having to wait until the one year expires. I tried to go in early and they said no-way. You need all the original paperwork again. The renewal of the five year can be done up to three months in advance but you have to re-test.

Do you mean that in order to change the one year temporary licence to the five year licence, you've got to have all the original documentation you needed for the one year licence?

And in order to get the five year one renewed, you need a re-test? How can you retest if you've never tested in the first place?

Now you really are getting me confused! :)

Sorry to get you all confused. I meant that you will need a new letter from the embassy showing address, and new medical certificate from a local clinic, plus all the passport stuff and I assume the foreign license.

I guess I should explain that I got my car license by digging out an old Thai license that was eight or nine years out of date. They were happy with that and gave me five years.

I didn't have a motorcycle license so thought I might actually go through the normal procedure of testing and all, for a change. Just to see what it was like and to keep my wife company while she got hers. Many, many years ago I got my first license here by following the procedures of the day. I paid someone.

Anyway, I was told the other day that re-testing was necessary for the motorcycle license after five years. Ask me again in another five years and I will be able to tell you if they have changed their minds.

Perhaps you will not need to test with the aid of your foreign license when five years roles around. Nothing is ever written in stone so one never really knows. I just go with the flow.

Oh yeah, I'l go with the flow - next year, and then five from that.

So, I'll assure myself of paying the bloody embassy for that ridiculous letter, and have copies of everything else, as usual.

Wonder if it might be important that in another five years my foreign licence will be expired, unless I renew that on a trip back. Which I likely will do, but ....

And as I never did anything other than the colour and reaction tests, wonder if they'll ask me to do something more at that time.

Guess I'll have to wait until then and see what the flow is! I'll go with it. :)

My extension happened to coincide with my 90 day notification of residence, so I got a letter from the Thai immigration at Mae Sai confirming where I live, with the help of my wife filling out the forms. It was quite cheap and since we didn't want to wait around until afternoon for some absent fellow to sign it. We asked them to mail it to us, which they did two days later. Don't know if that would work in your situation or not.

Sat and waited.

I am aware that many have used the licence for entry to national parks "at Thai rates" but don't see how you have been able to use it to get into Burma.

They either made a mistake or you're being a little bit 'loose' with the truth.

Maybe you might like to share (enlighten us) with just where you crossed over into Burma and when did you do it using your Thai drivers licence :)

Thais can cross from Thailand to Myanmaar based on a bi laateral agreement, same as Thais without passports can cross into the border zones of Malaysia. But a non Thai cannot do this.. Its strictly a bi-lateral agreement and usually restricted to the border town / zone.

I would be stunned to hear of a large white farang being allowed over on a Thai license.

Not possible.

From memory, you have to apply for the 5 year licence the day after your 1 year licence expires. You cannot apply for the 5 year licence on or before the actual day your 1 year licence expires.

Correct.. If think if you apply before it expries they can issue another 1 year.. But to get the 5 year it has to expire.

Then the crazy thing is I am told you must not let the 5 year expire !! It has to be renewed BEFORE it ends !!

Not possible.

Correct.. If think if you apply before it expries they can issue another 1 year.. But to get the 5 year it has to expire.

Then the crazy thing is I am told you must not let the 5 year expire !! It has to be renewed BEFORE it ends !!

Could only happen in Thailand........That means u are driving without a license....no insurance etc untill u get the replacement?? Guess means u take a taxi or go with a friend to get the 5 year one.

Could only happen in Thailand........That means u are driving without a license....no insurance etc untill u get the replacement?? Guess means u take a taxi or go with a friend to get the 5 year one.

Actually as crazy as it seems this came up in the local paper and some boss from the insurance company answered the question that they do insure people with the 1 year expired !!

TiT I dont claim it makes sense only what he stated.