Export Clothing Shops In Chiang Mai

vagabond48

There is also one in Kad Suan Kaew on the G floor (same floor as Sizzler, etc.). It is the same store name as the one in Airport Plaza. Also, there is one smaller one (different store) on the same floor as Tops, across from the food court. There is also another export shop on the 4th floor at Airport plaza across the way from Bookazine.

I would say that covers it; the three that have been mentioned plus one more. It is also in Airport Plaza. I believe it is one floor down (or one floor before) the floor with the cinema; just as you get off the escalator - it's right there. I've never found anything decent at Export 71.

there's one in each of the big C stores as well.

Correct and if the T Shirts ,the ones made in Cambodia, are from the same supplier as in Bangkok excellent value. Can't wear them out.

yep, t-shirts are great value from there, i buy stacks of them. 79 baht a go and decent quality. quite funny seeing 'matalan' labels on a lot of the stuff too.

Not that I did a Sherlock Holmes search, I have never spotted anything that looked like the Exports stores I mentioned in my original post. I am not looking for Tshirts but some quality short pants and cotton blend short sleeve shorts. I saw some very good Columbia shorts at the export 71 except they each had a small damage which were properly patched up but still not very appealing as the patch though small was very visible in the front.

Try the two shops in Airport Plaza that were mentioned in this thread. I've found some very good quality items at those two places. Export 71 is a step below them in my opinion. The little shops at Big C, etc. are called Der Export or something - I forget, but they are pretty much the bottom of the barrel. They're great for finding cheap stuff to do work in the garden however.

Edited by elektrified

I think he means export quality. Not just shops that have the name Export.

I too would be interested to find good quality stuff like they sell in the US etc. I can buy something from REI etc in the US and it lasts for years. Whatever I buy in Thailand seems to fall apart.

I know a lot of these higher quality products are made in Asia but no idea where they can be purchased in Thailand.

Similarly Continental makes great bicycle tires in a factory in or near BKK but no bike shop in LOS ever carries them. Very frustrating.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I think all these export clothing shops sell what we would consider to be "seconds", so it's wise to look carefully for any damage or mistakes. I recognize some of the brands as being something that would have been sold at the cheaper mass merchants in the U.S.

The big advantage of these shops is they carry sizes that fit westerners and the goods are cheaper than in the western world. Just be sure to look them over carefully before buying.

Not that I did a Sherlock Holmes search, I have never spotted anything that looked like the Exports stores I mentioned in my original post. I am not looking for Tshirts but some quality short pants and cotton blend short sleeve shorts. I saw some very good Columbia shorts at the export 71 except they each had a small damage which were properly patched up but still not very appealing as the patch though small was very visible in the front.

Dont think we mentioned T Shirts ONLY. Was at BIG C alongside the HOMEPRO store on the way to Hang Dong today. The Export shop on the ground floor loads of short and long sleeve shirts /shorts ,long pants and afull range of ladies wear,oh and T Shirts

Hi Vagabond,

Not sure whether this will help. I agree that there are some very attractive garments with good brand names available from some of the Export 71 stores but, as has been pointed out, these are, to a very large extent, "seconds". You do have to check them out very carefully - which sort of takes the fun out of shopping - especially when you get home and find the flaw that you'd missed in the store !.

Now I have come across another store which more closely approximates the Australian, and I guess commonly called elsewhere, "factory outlet".

I have only briefly walked through it and it appears to be a collection of better class - possibly more conservative - clothing being offered at what is claimed to be substantial discounts.

It is on the same side of Changklan Road and in the vicinity of the Shangrila and Empress Hotels. It seems to occupy the ground floor and possibly higher of a multi-storey building set back from the road and in the fore-court of which stands some really beautiful iron sculptures of a group of elephants.

The name of this place might, from recollection, be "Season Department Store ".

No guarantees, no recommendations - but if you're looking for clothing at discount prices (?) you might want to check this out.

Cheers !

Downstairs at RimPing, the one with the clock on the Mae Joh Road.... if you go in the front door past the bookshop with the cute little dog, then turn right before you get to the supermarket, there is a bunch of little 'shops' there... go about three down and you'll find a lovely lady who sells wonderful quality capri pants for women, they have small sizes up to size 18 or so, lovely colours and range, stretch fabric, all around 500 baht per pair, amazing quality, wash well, I've got four pairs now and thinking about a couple more!!! These are made for the US market and if I remember correctly, the label said $40 US... so would that be mid range casual price.... worth a look ladies :)

Hi Vagabond,

Not sure whether this will help. I agree that there are some very attractive garments with good brand names available from some of the Export 71 stores but, as has been pointed out, these are, to a very large extent, "seconds". You do have to check them out very carefully - which sort of takes the fun out of shopping - especially when you get home and find the flaw that you'd missed in the store !.

Now I have come across another store which more closely approximates the Australian, and I guess commonly called elsewhere, "factory outlet".

I have only briefly walked through it and it appears to be a collection of better class - possibly more conservative - clothing being offered at what is claimed to be substantial discounts.

It is on the same side of Changklan Road and in the vicinity of the Shangrila and Empress Hotels. It seems to occupy the ground floor and possibly higher of a multi-storey building set back from the road and in the fore-court of which stands some really beautiful iron sculptures of a group of elephants.

The name of this place might, from recollection, be "Season Department Store ".

No guarantees, no recommendations - but if you're looking for clothing at discount prices (?) you might want to check this out.

Cheers !

I actually don't mind seconds. After a short time of bicycle riding wearing short pants or shirts, they become 2nds soon enough. I don't mind irregularities in the material but a tear or loose stitching, well that's not acceptable.

Whenever I have bought anything in the US (long ago) and especially here, I check what I am about to buy very carefully.

You mention "some of the Export 71 stores", are there others in the CM area?

I have briefly gone into that department store a while back but didn't look for short pants. I give it another go.

Thanks. :)

Edited by vagabond48

>snip<

Similarly Continental makes great bicycle tires in a factory in or near BKK but no bike shop in LOS ever carries them. Very frustrating.

CSN, I know we're way off topic here but which Conti's are made in Thailand? I'm sitting here looking at boxes of Grand Prix's, 4000's, 4000S's and All Season's. All say "Made in Germany".

I'd rather buy them here than bring them with me from the US. If you can tell me which models are made in the Bangkok factory, I'll try to find someone who can supply them in CM.

>snip<

CSN, I know we're way off topic here but which Conti's are made in Thailand? I'm sitting here looking at boxes of Grand Prix's, 4000's, 4000S's and All Season's. All say "Made in Germany".

I'd rather buy them here than bring them with me from the US. If you can tell me which models are made in the Bangkok factory, I'll try to find someone who can supply them in CM.

yes El Jefe off topic but my favorite mountain bike tire is the Continental Cross country 26x1.5. Has made in Thailand stamped on both the foldable and wire beads. If you know someone that can get the foldable ones then I would nominate you TV member of the year.

yes El Jefe off topic but my favorite mountain bike tire is the Continental Cross country 26x1.5. Has made in Thailand stamped on both the foldable and wire beads. If you know someone that can get the foldable ones then I would nominate you TV member of the year.

Silly me. I was only thinking road tires. But I like the challenge. I'll see what I can do.