Filipino Girl Asked For Phone Number By Thai Immigration Officer At Cambodia Border

My Filipino GF was asked for her phone number when she re-entered Thailand at the Pakkad/Pailin border post. Her address is fully indicated on the arrival card, so what would be the point of getting her telepone number? Most people just use cell phones with sim cards they pick up at 7Eleven and have no registered telephone number.

She didn't have it memorised or have her cell phone with her, so when she started talking in English about how she couldn't remember it and said that if he really needed it she could get it from me (I wasn't near there at the time) he just waved her through anyway.

For anyone interested in minor details about how they count land border re-entries without visa....They marked this 15-day visa exempt entry as 1. They didn't count her 15-day visa exempt entry at Friendship Bridge 2 weeks ago.

You can apparently get 4 x 15 days entries there, but how you can reset the count or what happens after that is unknown. They probably haven't given that much thought either. What if you were stamped out and refused re-entry at such an isolated border post?

My Filipino GF was asked for her phone number when she re-entered Thailand at the Pakkad/Pailin border post. Her address is fully indicated on the arrival card, so what would be the point of getting her telepone number? Most people just use cell phones with sim cards they pick up at 7Eleven and have no registered telephone number.

She didn't have it memorised or have her cell phone with her, so when she started talking in English about how she couldn't remember it and said that if he really needed it she could get it from me (I wasn't near there at the time) he just waved her through anyway.

For anyone interested in minor details about how they count land border re-entries without visa....They marked this 15-day visa exempt entry as 1. They didn't count her 15-day visa exempt entry at Friendship Bridge 2 weeks ago.

You can apparently get 4 x 15 days entries there, but how you can reset the count or what happens after that is unknown. They probably haven't given that much thought either. What if you were stamped out and refused re-entry at such an isolated border post?

The Pailin border is so remote that viewing an attractive 'filipina' versus a village Thai/Khmer women must have taken

the officer by surprise. Come to think about it, when I was there for some business venture (across into Pailin), upon

return into Thai immigration my passport which has over 200 pages and a Multiple B Thai / Multiple 1 year Khmer was

scrutinized page by page, stamp by stamp; how stupid was my assumption - as they can go into their system and check

the details of my travel records.

I got asked for my phone number twice on the Mae Sot border crossing doing 90 day border hops.

I am a UK male, been told 'hansum man' many times but only asked by the male immigration staff.

I too will not speculate as to why but(thankfully?) have never received a follow up call.

Is this post a wind-up, it is pretty obvious what the request for phone number was about.

I've been contributing to this forum for almost 4 years. I don't post here to wind anyone up. It is not obvious at all. I posted about the incident to get various opinions on it. Whenever we get tourist visa extensions at Jomtien they ask us to put our phone numbers on the photocopy. I've never heard of anyone getting a similar request at a border checkin.

What if you were stamped out and refused re-entry at such an isolated border post?

Bus, with bald tires, from Pailin to Phnom Penh costs 12,000 riel and then a tourist visa from the Thai Embassy there and then catch a flight out.

Prospect of a tourist visa from Phnom Penh not very good as she was refused one in Vientiane 2 weeks ago due to too many back-to-back tourist visas in her passport.

If it makes you feel better, They have always asked for my number at the Mae Sai border.

Is this post a wind-up, it is pretty obvious what the request for phone number was about.

I've been contributing to this forum for almost 4 years. I don't post here to wind anyone up. It is not obvious at all. I posted about the incident to get various opinions on it. Whenever we get tourist visa extensions at Jomtien they ask us to put our phone numbers on the photocopy. I've never heard of anyone getting a similar request at a border checkin.

If it makes you feel better, They have always asked for my number at the Mae Sai border.

Thanks to all for contributing here.

Seeing as quite a few members have been asked for their phone number at various border crossings, I have to assume it's a standard request by some officers.

Just to clear up a point. There was no H1N1 health check at this border post yesterday.